No announcement yet.

Curtis Stevens showed how Canelo's style can beat GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtis Stevens showed how Canelo's style can beat GGG

The first thing everyone thinks about when you say GGG-Stevens is that infamous GIF of Curtis' "WTF" face after the knockdown.

Which is unfortunate because Stevens actually had some success throughout this fight. GGG didn't look great against Brook and Jacobs, but neither of those guys can be compared to Canelo from a style and physical standpoint. Stevens, to me, is the GGG opponent that most resembles Canelo's short, stocky frame, tight guard, counterpunching ability, fast hands, combos, and head movement.

Annoyingly necessary disclaimer: Stevens is LEVELS below Canelo. I'm simply saying they have a very similar skill set, frame and style. Still, I saw some things in this fight that seemed to bother GGG at times.

Early on in the fight, Stevens backs up GGG by pushing forward with the high guard, and GGG looked lost fighting off the back foot. Clearly, he's uncomfortable when he's not dictating the pace. Canelo likes using the high guard, but he hasn't necessary been one to push the pace.

Also, when Stevens was caught on the ropes, there were moments where GGG just seemed complacent with his dominant position and got caught with some good counters. Curtis landed 5 punches in a row on GGG in the 4th round while countering off the ropes. I can see Canelo having success off the ropes, if GGG doesn't mix in some body shots to drop Canelo's hands.

In the middle of the ring, GGG's slow, methodical style can be exploited by quick counter punchers, and that's exactly what Stevens did. Standing head-to-head in the middle of the ring, fighting on the inside, Curtis was landing uppercuts and hooks. The left hook that wobbled GGG happened when GGG tried throwing with Stevens in the middle of the ring. If Stevens can have the success he had, Canelo can tag GGG if he keeps it in the center.

GGG eventually just wore Stevens down with constant pressure and imposed his size on the smaller fighter. However, I don't see GGG being able to out muscle Canelo and pressure him into mistakes. In essence, Canelo is a bigger, stronger, faster, smarter Stevens. I can see Canelo eeking out a decision if he fights the perfect fight. Personally, I have GGG by late stoppage, as Canelo's fatigue due to his added muscle mass might prevent him from keeping up the punch volume needed to keep GGG off him.

What do you guys think?

I don't know anybody who says Stevens is smaller than Canelo. Stevens used to fight at LHW

I also have GGG by late stoppage, 8th or 9th round, not super late though
    I just think Canelo needs to have improved his footwork by leaps and bounds to fight his type of fight vs a guy like golovkin
    Last edited by joesaiditstrue; 09-16-2017, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
      I don't know anybody who says Stevens is smaller than Canelo. Stevens used to fight at LHW

I just think Canelo needs to have improved his footwork by leaps and bounds to fight his type of fight vs a guy like golovkin
      2015 doe...

Alvarez is significantly bigger since then..

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
        2015 doe...

Alvarez is significantly bigger since then..

I don't care what that picture shows, i've seen them both next to golovkin and Stevens is obviously bigger

pictures can be very deceptive

Comment

GGG looked massive on fight night against Stevens. No way Canelo is smaller. Stevens is like Broner - compact and stocky so he looks same size as Maidana and Porter but we all know what happened there.

Comment

I don't care what that picture shows, i've seen them both next to golovkin and Stevens is obviously bigger

pictures can be very deceptive
            When Fanboyism FAILS.

who's the biggest boxer in chronological order?

Comment

Originally posted by DrHouse579 View Post
              GGG looked massive on fight night against Stevens. No way Canelo is smaller. Stevens is like Broner - compact and stocky so he looks same size as Maidana and Porter but we all know what happened there.
              exactly, and Stevens is closest to the camera, yet GGG looks way bigger...

that's why this fight is EPIC blap blap blap!!

Comment

Canelo is the "A" side here and has an enormous promotional company in GBP backing him. Canelo's team simply would NOT have taken this fight if they felt the "only" way he could win would be through boxing and moving.

I'm also not convinced of GGG and his supposed powers. His resume is filled to the brim with C level fighters and although he hasn't fought any elite competition yet, he has dominated all of those C level guys. His two best opponents, skill-wise, were also his most recent fights in Kell Brook and Danny Jacobs. Both of those guys made GGG look very ordinary at times.

As OP suggests, neither guy resembles Canelo from a physical standpoint or a fighting style standpoint because Canelo prefers to counter-punch and doesn't like to move a whole lot.

There's a very real chance that if Canelo wins the fight somewhat resembles the JCC fight. Canelo is going to be considerably faster than GGG because Canelo is very fast and, if he can get to the body early, I suspect he'll succeed

Comment

Stevens did a lot of good things in that fight in between getting the **** beat out of him.

I like how he punched with GGG and countered his combinations, made GG a bit hesitant and maybe stopped him punching with the power he normally does. Also like you say walking Golovkin back taking the initiative.

Golovkin seems to be able to box on the back foot when that is what he has planned to do (ie, Lemiuex) but maybe not when he has planned to attack all night and he gets forced to retreat.

https://dksab.wordpress.com/2017/09/12/kazakh-thunder-and-mexican-fire-ggg-vs-canelo-breakdown-pt-2/

This is my blog on a few ways Canelo can approach the fight/where he can have success if you are interested. I didnt rewatch the Stevens fight until after i had finished but i wish i had. Pt1 of the breakdown is more focussed on how GGG gets to Canelo

Comment

Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
                    Canelo is the "A" side here and has an enormous promotional company in GBP backing him. Canelo's team simply would NOT have taken this fight if they felt the "only" way he could win would be through boxing and moving.

I'm also not convinced of GGG and his supposed powers. His resume is filled to the brim with C level fighters and although he hasn't fought any elite competition yet, he has dominated all of those C level guys. His two best opponents, skill-wise, were also his most recent fights in Kell Brook and Danny Jacobs. Both of those guys made GGG look very ordinary at times.

As OP suggests, neither guy resembles Canelo from a physical standpoint or a fighting style standpoint because Canelo prefers to counter-punch and doesn't like to move a whole lot.

There's a very real chance that if Canelo wins the fight somewhat resembles the JCC fight. Canelo is going to be considerably faster than GGG because Canelo is very fast and, if he can get to the body early, I suspect he'll succeed
                    any boxer can get caught. I rate Jacobs a very very good boxer....as far as movement, I'd say he's the Jessie Vargas of 160. When Vargas went with Salas he started looking the way N'Dam started to box with Diaz. That Cuban style. I say though Jacobs is a student of the game and a great Brooklyn boxer.

Only problems is that he got caught with Pirog...I thought the ref stopped immaturely. THOUGH, Mora did take Jacobs...

Point is, at a high caliber level, where a boxer can be close to or even to GGG's weight, the fight then goes 50/50 imo.

I say Nelo has enough fire power to win this fight, and of course I want him to win by KO. Defense is key for both fighters

Comment

Working...
                    X