No announcement yet.

McGregor talking about going behind Mayweather's back

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGregor talking about going behind Mayweather's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGzGZR1YuP0 Honest interview and honest guy.

Basically explaining that in MMA that would be usable energy to get behind and pummel and obviously in boxing it's not allowed. I'm still a little confused why he was wondering why the ref was breaking them up when that would occur. Didn't he realize it wasn't allowed with Joe Cortez in his sparring sessions?

Here I thought Mayweather was initiated most of those reversals to get out of danger but Conor might of actually been going for it, lol

That was probably the weirdest thing about this fight is that Conor thought "taking his back" was some sort of boxing strategy like he could get behind Floyd & just punch him for 12 rounds from the back or whatever the plan was with that. Idk how that didn't get figured out by his "trainer" Owen Roddy, via the boxers he was training with including Paulie or via Joe Cortez while reffing. So f#cking weird.

Comment

One doesn't just turn their back against a fighter who's already rabbit punching

Comment

Hard to break all habits, he did well with the rules considering.

You could clearly see the MMA difference effected both fighters, Floyd would duck like normal and cover up because he didn't know if he was going to fowled or not, especially with all the rabbit punches, then Connor would instinctively just step around him to get his back.

Comment

I guess it was out of MMA habit.

But wasn't the whole reason they hired Joe Cortez for the Paulie sparring was so he could learn the rules?

Comment

He's just still figuring things out understandably. This was a huge learning experience for him. He's basically a newb.

Comment

I think it was mutual. Floyd was turning his back when Conor got to close and instead of pivoting in the same direction like a boxer would, Conor's instinct was to stay with what would be (in MMA) be floyd's weak side, the side providing access to his back.

Comment

Of course Conor initiated them. Paulie said it on tv. It was Mauro who kept saying Floyd was giving up his back. Ward said it too. Made no sense

Comment

Conor should have known better. He was often fighting like it was MMA rules, hitting with one hand while holding with the other and using hammer fists. The ref didn't warn him so he kept doing it.

Comment

Uh oh...don't tell the haters this...

Comment

Working...
                    X