Was it the punch or the weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
    Both.

It was a great punch, but Chad has taken far harder and cleaner shots than that at 175 and fired back, he was being rocked by jabs tonight.
    See that's what I wondered. Judging by the poll I guess Ward won't get any credit but it's his own fault as he should have accepted a catchweight.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
      Not too mention being unable to get out of the way of the jabs or the body shots.
      they were "safe" shots though....as teddy would say "silent agreement"...he knew ward was getting off first and more accurately...so he just gave him the whole initiative...tried to avoid getting hit with dangerous shots, and hoped for a miracle, but it was also obvious after a few rounds that Wards positioning and defense were too good for Chad to set up traps, so he gave up.

Chad pretty much has two gears, pressure behind the tight guard (which was doing ok in the first 2 rounds) and go defensive doing his best "whitaker on defense" impression , to set up single shot counters.....he is not able to switch them up whenever he wants to, like Ward can do all his gears...Chad lacks that dynamism...

Shame this didnt happen at 75 eventually, that way there really wouldve been no excuses...The way this ended will give Dawson even more mental baggage

Comment

Did HBO show their rehydrated weights for tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
          Johnson 2x, Tarver 2x, Diaconu, Pascal, Hopkins never drop him but Ward who has never even hurt or dropped a decent SMW puts him down 3x and gives him wobbly legs at least another 3 or 4 times. Chad landed 29 total punches that's 3 punches landed per round. Ward looked great but anyone who thinks Chad wasn't horribly weight drained is delusional.
          Great post

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
            Punch. I think just because Ward isn't knocking dudes out left and right people underestimate his punching power. Nazim Richardson gave an interview talking about it. I'll try to find and post it.
            Here it is

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
              they were "safe" shots though....as teddy would say "silent agreement"...he knew ward was getting off first and more accurately...so he just gave him the whole initiative...tried to avoid getting hit with dangerous shots, and hoped for a miracle, but it was also obvious after a few rounds that Wards positioning and defense were too good for Chad to set up traps, so he gave up.

Chad pretty much has two gears, pressure behind the tight guard (which was doing ok in the first 2 rounds) and go defensive doing his best "whitaker on defense" impression , to set up single shot counters.....he is not able to switch them up whenever he wants to, like Ward can do all his gears...Chad lacks that dynamism...

Shame this didnt happen at 75 eventually, that way there really wouldve been no excuses...The way this ended will give Dawson even more mental baggage
              If Dawson keeps winning at LHW that rematch may eventually happen if Ward moves up... Though I dont find it necessary, still names at 168 to fight, Id love a Dirrell fight.

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              Did HBO show their rehydrated weights for tonight?
              Ward 174, Dawson 185.

Comment

Just the punch. No excuses Chad, you lost the fight fair and square. You said you could make the weight easily. He's going to lose a lot of fans including me if he keeps this up.

Comment

i choose! it was getn his butt whooped by a far better fighter! drain doesnt limit your punch out put like that! wake up ! dawson said he felt comfortable at the weight! I think at 175 ward still dominates dawson with the same skill.

Comment

Originally posted by SERVILEV View Post
                    i choose! it was getn his butt whooped by a far better fighter! drain doesnt limit your punch out put like that! wake up ! dawson said he felt comfortable at the weight! I think at 175 ward still dominates dawson with the same skill.
                    Of course it does, like he said after the fight he couldn't get his punches off.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
                      Of course it does, like he said after the fight he couldn't get his punches off.
                      He couldnt get his punches off because Ward was mastering the distance game, using lateral movement, setting up his shots with an effective jab and fighting inside successfully smothering Dawson when he wanted too.

Not being able to get off doesnt automatically mean it was because he was drained, Ward wasnt giving him clear openings, and Dawson isnt the type of fighter to throw when theres no opening.

Comment

Working...
                      X