• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who did White America treat better

Sugar Ray Robinson

or

Muhammad Ali

Ray Robinson was more accepted overall. Ali's affiliation with the Nation of Islam pissed a lot of white America off.

Comment

Ali was tremendously accepted by white America from the time he bested Foreman-onward, but he was hated for his mouth pre-Liston & utterly reviled after his defection to Islam. All told, Id go with Robinson, though he hardly deserved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
        Ali was tremendously accepted by white America from the time he bested Foreman-onward, but he was hated for his mouth pre-Liston & utterly reviled after his defection to Islam. All told, Id go with Robinson, though he hardly deserved it.
        explain??.....

Comment

How many miscarriages do you need to beat your wife into before it doesnt require an explanation? Robinson was also known to hold bouts to ransom with a view toward stealing deserved bread from the mouths of his rivals, making him reviled by several of his contemporaries.

Comment

How many miscarriages do you need to beat your wife into before it doesnt require an explanation? Robinson was also known to hold bouts to ransom with a view toward stealing deserved bread from the mouths of his rivals, making him reviled by several of his contemporaries.

This is true. He was also known to be a terrible father. But he knew how to play to the camera and a crowd.

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson: "This fella (Carmen Basilio) has had very few paydays in his lifetime. Let's face it. . . I'm the fella that's making the gate. Don't I have a right, inasmuch as I'm signing away my services, to get all they are worth to me?

Anna Basilio(Sister): "We were in New York to attend a Sugar Ray Robinson fight. We were walking into the hotel when Carmen spotted a car pulling up. He said "Wqiat here comes Sugar Ray I want to meet him." Well, Carmen walks up and Sugar Ray just pushes him aside like he was not there. H enever acknowldged Carmen at all. It was demeaning to Carmen, and boy was he mad. He said "One day I'll get even with that guy."

Carmen Basilio when asked about Sugar Ray Robinson: "Don't talk about that bastard to me. I got no use for him. I didn't like him then and I don't like him now. That's the way I feel. Call me a jerk, fine, but, that's the way I feel about him."

Comment

that sucks doesn't it? the best fighter in history was such a strange person.. but on the other hand, Ali ,the Greatest, was a great guy, right? and mainstream media does really see him as the greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by paulsinghnl View Post
                  that sucks doesn't it? the best fighter in history was such a strange person.. but on the other hand, Ali ,the Greatest, was a great guy, right? and mainstream media does really see him as the greatest.
                  Muhammad Ali was not the nicest person in the world either.

Comment

Boxing has never been a gentlemans game.

Comment

Working...
                    X