No announcement yet.

Jerry Quarry vs Jimmy Young

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Quarry vs Jimmy Young

Since Jerry Quarry got left out of the Greatest Heavyweight Never To Win A Title thread, I decided to match Quarry up separately against Jimmy Young, a dark horse who is doing surprisingly well in the running.

Can Quarry handle him? Or rather, can he handle Quarry?

They don't come slicker than Jimmy. Yet Quarry is a skilled boxer who can really bang. Styles make fights, and his could be a nemesis for soft-lobbing Jimmy.

Young's own punches are possibly made a bit harder by the fact that his cleverness often conceals their launching so that the impact comes as a surprise to an unset body.

They both fought some of the greatest talent ever. Jerry was typically smaller and out-speeded in his slightly earlier era. But Young is not a speed demon. He relies on pure boxing savvy to confuse and out maneuver his opponents. He will be in range. Now, can Jerry hit him enough to win the fight?

These boys were not champions, so they only have to go 12 rounds under the old customs.

Great match up. Each of them fought similar opponents in Shavers, Lyle, Ali. I slightly favor Quarry by split decision. He could handle big hitters like Shavers and Lyle, and the quickness of Patterson. Jimmy was a little too inconsistent to bet on.

Comment

Good match-up. Could be an evening of masterful boxing; but could also end up with two counter-puncher refusing to lead, like Leonard-Benitiz; Hopkins-Jones I (after the fourth round).

Will be a close fight to a D, going to whoever has a little better night, that night.

Could be very exciting; could be very boring night.

Comment

I simply love it Hook, a very interesting matchup. I hate to sound like a no it all, but these to outstanding pugilists had the blessing of CLEMENZA. I kept busting your chops about Jerry being over looked in your Heavyweight list. And now the great jimmy Young gets his due. Great job

Comment

I personally think the Young who beat Foreman would emerge victorious against any version of Quarry.

Comment

You say that what Damn little respect for Quarry, remember Jimmy did lose to Randy Neumann, I don't think Jerry ever lost to a fighter like that, so please don't dismiss Quarry like a Ham & Egger

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              I personally think the Young who beat Foreman would emerge victorious against any version of Quarry.
              I am throwing my hat in with SugarJ: If Young gets better judging we are looking at a fighter who beat Foreman and Ali...Quarry was all piss and vinegar with a few suprises but Young potentially is that good.

I will say this, the match up works well for Quarry... he is in with a guy who cannot dust him and who might get a little cute making the judges think about the decision. Quarry could outhustle and bustle Young.

Comment

For a fan, Young had something in common with the foul Pole, believe it or not--you couldn't wait to see what surprising antic they would come up with (legal or illegal, probably illegal in the latter's case) to shock your sensibilities.

Comment

Look, Quarry was good. But his absolute prime was a fair level below that of the elite heavyweights of his era (Foreman, Norton & Ali).

When Young hit his prime in the late 70s he was very much a match for these three. I can't see the best version of Quarry outpointing 'this' Young. The latter simply reached a higher level.

Comment

I believe Quarry wins this one by disqualification! Though in Young's behalf, you will not see a finer set of man boobs box half so well. He rubbed them on Jerry one too many times for a referee who was probably the grand wizard of Alabama.

Comment

Working...
                    X