No announcement yet.

Pep vs Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pep vs Whitaker

Just curious to see what you gents see happening should Pep and Whitaker have fought at the same weight at the same time. In a mythical pound-4-pound match between two defensive wizards, which chess master gets check-mate?

Tough to say,But I would favor Pep.He is the second greatest boxer ever in my opinion.

Comment

I agree with Pep winning, Pep by UD.

Comment

I really think this would be an extremely tight fight; but would give the edge to Pep overall. Obviously, there would be few, if any fireworks; but the idea of seeing two masters try to outthink each other in the ring excites me almost as much as two guys in there trying to take each other's head off. I do agree with Mass Pride in that Pep was the second greatest pure boxer of all time; but I do feel Whitaker deserves to be mentioned in the same breath for the way he paintbrushed so many talented opponents at 135 and still was a handful, even at age 33, against a very talented De La Hoya.

I see this one having an extraordinarly long feeling out process in the beginning with both fighters exchanging feints to see who bites first. The question of who wins I think is the one who doesn't get frustated with the other one first. Neither were used to getting hit. Punching power is about equal with Pep only having 65 kayos in 230 wins and Whitaker with 17 kayos in 40 wins. Both had good whiskers and were tough as nails underneath as evidenced in the Saddler matches for Pep and in the Trinidad match for Whitaker.

I can't see this ending any other way that by Split Decision with the winner being the one who was the fan favorite.

I'd say Pep would pull it out; but just barely. Really hate to be a judge in this one.

Comment

probably pep.

Comment

Maybe it depends which Whitaker shows up?

He was obviously quicker wen he was lighter, but also his style was busier and he used alot of lateral movement. Which i havent seen. Ive only seen him heavier, standing square, like he did against Chavez and De La Hoya.
            Pep outpoints that Whitaker.

I think Whitaker had better power, but Pep was very busy, always moving and seizing every oppertunity to land a shot.

I think Pep would throw more, land a few more, and just stay he busier fighter.

Comment

This is an intreiguing matchup. Pep is a legend and an ATG but that doesn't mean he would win, whittaker is one of the most underrated boxers ever.. very slick.

Give the edge to Pep though.

Comment

you said mythical p4p matchup

Pep is p4p the greatest fighter ever (IMO)

Comment

I haven't seen enough Willie Pep fights to make a fair decision on this...I assume that's probably the case with many of you too.

One thing I will say for Whitaker is that he would probably be the bigger, stronger, more athletic fighter (yes that's even if you made Willie Pep a natural 135'er).

Whitaker had a very educated jab and his lateral movement was excellent. He has tree trunks for legs so he could undoubtedly move all day on Pep without fatiguing drastically. Whitaker did have decent power when he planted his feet (evidenced in his fights with Nazario and Hurtado).

It'd be a razor thin match i'm sure, but i'll go with Whitaker simply because I've seen him at his best.

Comment

Id also love whitaker to win. He deserved to be given the decison against Chavez as the first guy to beat him.

Comment

Working...
                    X