No announcement yet.

A Community Consensus - The Top 5

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Community Consensus - The Top 5

First of, it is impossible to reach a definitive consensus on the P4P top 5 fighters of the world. However, the goal of this thread is to reach a consensus regarding who the top 5 fighters are and not in what order they're in. To make things easier, we go by official results here, meaning that yes, Ward defeated Kovalev in this thread, no matter if you like it or not. For example...

Ward, Crawford, Lomachenko, Gonzalez, Golovkin.

People may ask why I included Golovkin, as his resume is horrible, but we can't ignore his dominance at middleweight. If he defeats Jacobs, it's simply a fact that he belongs among the top 5.

So, can we all agree on those 5 being in the top 5, or do you have certain disagreements? I could imagine that some would include Canelo, but it's better for the sport if we all just forget about that fat weight-draining ginger.

It's hard to exclude Rigondeaux. He has looked utterly dominant against almost every opponent, and beat a then FOTY Donaire in comprehensive fashion.

The other two you can make a strong case for are Crawford and Pacquiao. Crawford has beaten all comers easily and dominated a top level fighter in Postol. Pacquiao beat two top 10 welterweights easily last year, and he is the guy who has climbed the most weight classes amongst all the elite fighters.

Frampton and Canelo also have claims. But for me they're weaker than the claims of the above. They haven't separated themselves from the pack as those other guys have.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
      It's hard to exclude Rigondeaux. He has looked utterly dominant against almost every opponent, and beat a then FOTY Donaire in comprehensive fashion.

The other two you can make a strong case for are Crawford and Pacquiao. Crawford has beaten all comers easily and dominated a top level fighter in Postol. Pacquiao beat two top 10 welterweights easily last year, and he is the guy who has climbed the most weight classes amongst all the elite fighters.

Frampton and Canelo also have claims. But for me they're weaker than the claims of the above. They haven't separated themselves from the pack as those other guys have.
      You brought in 4 new names: Rigo, Pacquiao, Frampton and Canelo.

I agree that a case could be made for Rigo, but he has been fighting bad opponents for years, so before putting him into the top 5, I think we should first see if he trashes Moises Flores or not, which I think he does. For now, top 10. After that fight, possible to 5.

Pacquiao is a great fighter, but he now refuses to fight anyone with dangerous offensive skills. Jeff Horn will be his first opponent with punchingpower in 4 years and it's not like's a dangerous puncher... I can't include Pacquiao until he proves that he's not just a fast combo-punching piece of glass.

Frampton, I definetely agree, he has done good recently with his wins against Quigg and Santa Cruz. However, before ranking him in the top 5, I think we should see how the rematch with Santa Cruz goes.

Canelo? Let's just forget he exists. He's a disgrace to the short, with his constant **** about "I'm not a 160lbs fighter!". His fear of Golovkin is irrational and the judges are always on his side. He got the wins against Lara and Trout. He was ahead on the scorecards against Khan. One of them gave him a draw against Mayweather. Canelo is a good fighter, 100%, but we would all do the sport a favour by ignoring him. Then we can pressure him into giving us the fights that we want. Just fight Golovkin, man.

Comment

golovkin, lomachenko, kovalev, pacquiao, ward. in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
          golovkin, lomachenko, kovalev, pacquiao, ward. in that order.
          I saw what you did there...

Comment

Beating Jacobs makes you top five P4P now? but DSG should be ahead of Golovkin as far as I'm concern with his next win over Keith Thurman ( he should be in everyones list )...but these haters wont mention him....anyways unifying a weak division against sub-par competition and STILL getting beat up if it wasn't for your freakish chin and power does not even qualify you to enter my top ten...nope I'm sorry Golovkin is a B - fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
              Beating Jacobs makes you top five P4P now? but DSG should be ahead of Golovkin as far as I'm concern with his next win over Keith Thurman ( he should be in everyones list )...but these haters wont mention him....anyways unifying a weak division against sub-par competition and STILL getting beat up if it wasn't for your freakish chin and power does not even qualify you to enter my top ten...nope I'm sorry Golovkin is a B - fighter.
              We are talking about reaching a consensus and there are too many white people to reach a P4P consensus without Golovkin in it. Beating Jacobs is not enough, but it's his first real test and we should rank him higher than before when he is done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Banko Villas View Post
                We are talking about reaching a consensus and there are too many white people to reach a P4P consensus without Golovkin in it. Beating Jacobs is not enough, but it's his first real test and we should rank him higher than before when he is done with it.
                I thought Golovkin was a Mongol?

Comment

sorry to break it to you, but garcias not going to beat thurman...

Comment

I thought Golovkin was a Mongol?
                    Did I ever say he wasn't? Half Korean, half Russian. White people will find any fighters to support, Pacquiao, Mexicans, Russians or Golovkin, if it means that they can have a P4P top 10 with as few black people as possible.

In this very thread, you saw a guy rank Golovkin higher than Ward.

Both are undefeated, but Ward has fought lots of great opponents while Golovkin is just about to face his first real test. There is simply no explanation for ranking Golovkin above Ward, except blatant racism.

Does Golovkin a win on par with Kovalev? No, and he won't, even after he beats Jacobs.
                    Does Golovkin a win on par with Froch? No, and he won't, even after he beats Jacobs.
                    Does Golovkin a win on par with Kessler? No, and he won't, even after he beats Jacobs.

White fans tend to support nonblack fighters, you should have noticed by now. They will even say "Ward is halfwhite" to justify themselves, lol, what a joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X