Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions Wanted: Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If all the champs, prime for prime, fought each other ... I'd take Larry to come out someowhere in the top three record-wise. Perhaps No. 1.

Comment

3rd, behind Ali and Louis.

20 title defenses from 1978-85. As for his opposition, he defeated seven boxers who held a portion of the title at some point in their careers during his reign as champ. It wasn't elite by any means, but he didn't just dispose of tomato cans.

Holmes was already 28 when he won the title and was past his prime for Spinks, he had already shown a noticeable decline for a couple years before that. Holmes from 77-82 had incredible physical ability, great foot and hand speed. Had one of the best jabs ever seen in the division and a brilliant 1-2 combo. Showed an ability to recover from some wicked shots, the 2nd Shavers fight being the best example. Knew how to effectively tie up fighters on the inside. His weakness in his prime was a tendency to have lapses in concentration during fights, he would relax and take a shot that had business landing.

All time great fighter who is underrated in terms of the legacy he has left in the general boxing publics mind

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Tua?????

lol. thats funny
        ok....

maybe holmes isn't quite tua's level.

but he's close.

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
          Oh you.......

Comment

For real though, has there ever been a heavyweight with a jab as good as Holmes? I don't think so.

Comment

probably in the top ten ever, behind Ali, Louis, and Dempsey. I'd rank him ahead of Marciano, and the Lewis-Holyfield-Tyson triumvirate, maybe on par with Foreman.

Comment

Head to head he is probably a top 5 HW. On achievements he is a top 10 dude. Great fighter. Brilliant jab, good hand speed, good chin, and ring IQ. Foot speed was not
                Ali-esque but who is?

Comment

Originally posted by E.P.T. View Post
                  For real though, has there ever been a heavyweight with a jab as good as Holmes? I don't think so.
                  i'll take liston's even if it's slower.

looked like it had more power.

power is EVERYTHING in my world.

Comment

I think Holmes was one of the best heavyweights ever, it is sad he was so unappreciated and stuck in Ali's shadow. I think if Holmes and Ali had fought in their primes Holmes had a good chance of beating him.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha & Omega View Post
                      I think Holmes was one of the best heavyweights ever, it is sad he was so unappreciated and stuck in Ali's shadow. I think if Holmes and Ali had fought in their primes Holmes had a good chance of beating him.
                      i think prime ali boxes circles around him.

maybe post suspension ali, larry can beat.

Comment

Working...
                      X