No announcement yet.

Anthony Mundine calls Cathy Freeman a "sellout"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Mundine calls Cathy Freeman a "sellout"

Mundine is back running his mouth this time labelling Australia's (our) Sydney 2000 Olympic 400m Gold Medallist Cathy Freeman a sellout for letting Large Corporations Freeman's associated with tell her what to say. Here's the article from Herald Sun website:

By: Chico Harlan

December 05, 2007 07:52am

Anthony Mundine brands Cathy Freeman a "sellout"

"AUSTRALIA'S most divisive Aboriginal athlete thinks that this country's most beloved Aboriginal athlete has surrendered the ability to speak her mind.

Calling her a "sellout", boxer Anthony Mundine said Olympic gold medal-winning sprinter Cathy Freeman cannot be an authentic indigenous leader so long as she's heavily involved in corporate Australia.

"Aboriginal people don't buy that," Mundine said, referencing a leader coming from the mainstream.

"That's what happened to Cathy Freeman. She sold out, toeing the line. And that ain't me. I'm not a fake."

Mundine also said repeatedly that men, not women, are more qualified to lead. "As far as being a leader, that's not her anyway," he said. "A man can only lead."

Where Mundine has always been raw, Freeman has always been refined.

While Freeman has spent her post-retirement career rubbing elbows with other celebs and speaking about a possible film career, Mundine has decided that acceptance by the mainstream corresponds with a loss of credibility. Not necessarily by choice, he has no endorsement deals.

"If you want to toe the line," Mundine said, "if you want to be some corporate guy and say the right things, do the right things, you might be OK in the media's eye, but it wouldn't be real for me.

"I think Cathy has done a lot for the Aboriginal people, don't get me wrong. But they (mainstream sponsors) control and determine the things she says. I'm not putting anything on her, but at the end of the day, it's got to be a man. She's a leader, but for women," Mundine said.

"I'm not knocking Cathy. She inspired me as an athlete. She's inspired me.

"She is probably the pinnacle Olympian, and we all respect that. But Cathy can't say - 'I don't like this prime minister' or 'I don't like this issue'.

"I want to represent my people properly, and represent the street.

"I'm going on my own crusade ... and that's why I become the villain."

Freeman first emerged as an Aboriginal leader at the 1994 Commonwealth Games, when she waved the Aboriginal flag during a post-race victory lap.

She was criticised at the time, even by the Commonwealth Games head Arthur Tunstall, but she has helped raise awareness of Aboriginal issues.

And who will ever forget that night in September, 2000, her gold medal at the Sydney Olympics, when she became an Australian sporting legend and a national treasure."

Mundine's off his dial! I watched Cathy win Gold at Sydney and the way she performed that night winning Gold by carrying the weight of the whole of Australia on her shoulders and blitzing the field not to mention making Perec not even show up is testament to her courage. Mundine has gotten offside with the majority of the Australian public and rubbed a lot of the US people the wrong way with very foolish comments relating to 9/11. The guy should learn to keep his mouth shut! Bad choice of words Choc!

Mundine is a tool. He should shoot himself.

Comment

Man i just don't get this guy. I read a story about him that inspired me. Then i read this garbage. If anyone is dumb enough to fall for it and buy his ppv to see him loose, then there dumber than Mundine and thats hard.

He needs to have a good look at himself. There are other ways to market himself, especially without degrading morals and ethics. If anything he has shot himself in the foot.

A waste.

Comment

sigh. his ppv mustnt be selling well.. ever the business man.. you'll notice everytime he has a fight coming up he says some outlandish ****. im just glad he's not saying he's going back to league for the billionth time

Comment

Anthony just has a low level of intelligence, that's mainly why he says this sort of thing, he doesn't really understand what he's talking about it.

Comment

i wouldnt call her a sellout... an ape maybe....but not a sellout

Comment

Originally posted by brently1979 View Post
              Anthony just has a low level of intelligence, that's mainly why he says this sort of thing, he doesn't really understand what he's talking about it.
              If Anthony took an IQ test, im sure he would score below 48. And would be put into the technical category "mentally ******ed".

Comment

well im not going to watch this farce on dec the 10th.

Comment

i've never really liked her..attention seeking girl and she was over-rated heaps...only reason she won gold was because the real champ didn't come due to death threats!!..

Comment

Another shameless attempt to bring in numbers for his PPV.

My question is why would you pay $49.95 on Monday night to watch Mundine fight a bum.

When you can pay the same amount the day before and watch a Mega fight from the Mecca of Boxing in Mayweather v Hatton

Comment

Working...
                    X