Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Has the Better Body of Work, Andre Ward or James Toney?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just can't look past that shocking Kovalev TKO last Saturday so I give it to Ward. Toney is good but doesn't have a standout win that definitively puts his resume above Ward's. Holyfield is a big name and Toney moved up, but he was washed up by then.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Bull****. Jirov is no where near as good as Kovalev and literally has no good wins.

Yes McCallum is better than anyone Ward has beat but IMO mcCallum never lost to Toney except for when he was shot in the 3rd fight.
      Jirov is no where near as good as Kovalev
      Actually, Vassily Jirov is at a similar caliber / level as Sergey Kovalev. Jirov at the time was one of the best cruiserweights and the cruiserweight world champion in the same way Kovalev was recently one of the best light heavyweights and a light heavyweight world champion.

and literally has no good wins.
      The same argument can be made for Kovalev too. I really can't see any opponent Kovalev has beaten that is at all better than Jirov's best opponents.

but IMO mcCallum never lost to Toney except for when he was shot in the 3rd fight.
      Likewise, in my opinion Andre Ward lost the first fight against Sergey Kovalev and was gifted a controversial stoppage in the rematch.

At the very least, James Toney never had to cheat anywhere near as much as Andre Ward, even against the best possible opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Other level **** how?

Ward get's hit less than Toney.
        Never enough for you, Dan. I could say Toney was the lowest piece of shyt on earth but he had good taste in cars and you'd deny my point about the cars.
        (just playin, BTW)

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Never enough for you, Dan. I could say Toney was the lowest piece of shyt on earth but he had good taste in cars and you'd deny my point about the cars.
          (just playin, BTW)

I just don't see it.

Toney in his prime got hit more by Dave Tiberi than Ward has in basically his whole career.

Roy Jones, Floyd, Whitaker, Ali, that's some "other level ****"

Toney is some "it's ok" ****. IMO.
          Last edited by IronDanHamza; 06-22-2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabaristio View Post
            Actually, Vassily Jirov is at a similar caliber / level as Sergey Kovalev. Jirov at the time was one of the best cruiserweights and the cruiserweight world champion in the same way Kovalev was recently one of the best light heavyweights and a light heavyweight world champion.

The same argument can be made for Kovalev too. I really can't see any opponent Kovalev has beaten that is at all better than Jirov's best opponents.

Likewise, in my opinion Andre Ward lost the first fight against Sergey Kovalev and was gifted a controversial stoppage in the rematch.

At the very least, James Toney never had to cheat anywhere near as much as Andre Ward, even against the best possible opposition.
            Yeah right. Jirov has zero wins over ranked opponents.

Kovalev has beaten Cleverly, Pascal, Hopkins and arguably beat Ward. All ranked top 5.

So you absolutely cannot say the same for Kovalev.

James Toney is a drug cheat so I think that argument is poor.

Comment

Toney the ****1n glorified waist rotator?

Big fat bum who is as inconsistent as my bowel movements.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                Toney has 10 losses in 90 fights. Ray Robinson had 19 losses in 200 fights. Losses don't tell the whole story. Ward never lost, but he never fought anyone on the level of a prime Roy Jones either. When you look at who Toney beat, they are leaps and bounds above anyone Ward ever beat.
                29 fights in JT admittedly lost to Dave Tiberi, that would never happen to SOG, NEVER.

29 fights in Ward already had victories over Kessler, Froch, Abraham, Dawson, Barrera etc. It cannot be ignored how at age 25 he had already dominated Joe Calzaghe's best career win, who many consider an ATG.

They tried rushing him back against Kovalev, that's the only reason the 1st fight was so close. The rematch he stopped him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
                  29 fights in JT admittedly lost to Dave Tiberi, that would never happen to SOG, NEVER.

29 fights in Ward already had victories over Kessler, Froch, Abraham, Dawson, Barrera etc. It cannot be ignored how at age 25 he had already dominated Joe Calzaghe's best career win, who many consider an ATG.

They tried rushing him back against Kovalev, that's the only reason the 1st fight was so close. The rematch he stopped him.
                  Johnson, McCallum, Nunn all way better than anyone Ward fought.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    Johnson, McCallum, Nunn all way better than anyone Ward fought.

Not convinced at all. I don't view fighters of the old as invincible, even RJJ got put on his ass by Lou Del Valle.

If this is Kovalev, Beterbiev, Bivol, even Barrera landing this punch RJJ is asleep shaking on the canvas

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                      Here is a summary of their top wins:

Ward:

Sergey Kovalev x 2
                      Carl Froch
                      Mikkel Kessler
                      Chad Dawson
                      Arthur Abraham
                      Sako Bika
                      Sullivan Barrera

Unified champion at 168 and 175.

Toney:

Michael Nunn
                      Reggie Johnson
                      Mike McCallum x 2
                      Iran Barkley
                      Vassily Jirov
                      Merqui Sosa
                      Evander Holyfield

Losses to Roy Jones Jr.. Montell Griffin x 2, Drake Thadzi and numerous other losses past his prime at heavyweight.

Won titles at middleweight and super middleweight
                      Popped for roids twice i think.

I'm Voting Ward

Comment

Working...
                      X