Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG is a master at cutting off the ring, however...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGG is a master at cutting off the ring, however...

there are certain disadvantages of cutting off the ring and so far none of his opponents have been able to exploit them.

1) You can become too square by cutting off the ring and GGG is often too square when cutting off the ring, the problem is his opponents are so gun shy they don't let their hands go. The only guy that was letting his hands go was Kassim Ouma who was very shop worn but he still landed hundreds of punches on GGG. GGG still put him in a hospital but the fact is that he's exploitable and if a shot to pieces Ouma can land every punch in the book on you round after round, you get the point.

2) You become predictable when cutting off the ring, I am going to move to my left and you're going to move to your right to cut me off, right? Well, GGG is a little smarter than this so what he does, he knows that right handed fighters want to circle to their left so before they even think about it he steps to the right and blocks the movement they are most comfortable with. So once he does that they are confused because he pre-emptively cuts them off and they are confused to the point that they freeze and become stationary, which is what he wants of course.

Now Chavez is the example everybody gives when cutting off the ring and he was great at it but he was more predictable with it because you go to your right he goes to his left and vice versa. So he reacts to your movement. GGG always cuts off orthodox fighters before they even try to go to their left and that's why they freeze and forget to go back to the right. I think GGG is better at cutting off the ring.

So I don't know if people don't study him or what but he always takes a lateral step to his right to establish the center of the ring and to prevent you from circling him to the left. Every fight and no orthodox fighter has picked up on it.
    Last edited by pesticid; 12-07-2015, 10:17 AM.

GGG's combinations are very creative. He is usually not predictable.

The way he cuts off the ring and moves is really cool to see in person. I've been to a few of his fights and he looks like he is gliding around the ring so smoothly. That is why i don't think it matters that he isn't the fastest guy.

Comment

I think the slowness of his foot movement is a weakness he has in this respect. He's a slip and slide mover rather than a guy who stays on his toes. The advantages are he maintains excellent balance and conserves energy. The disadvantages are he just doesn't move as quickly as a guy who bounces on his toes in the ring. I think Golovkin can be turned and prevented from getting set (for a while at least) by a clever enough and quick enough fighter. But it's hard to see who that would be as there aren't a lot of guys out there who have that combination of mobility and close range slickness. Most likely clinching would yield better results which is why Ward would have success against him.

Another thing about Golovkin’s ring cutting is that he uses his punches to do it too. Like George Foreman in this video.

That’s what Buddy McGirt didn’t understand in the Macklin fight. He was telling Macklin slip to his left. But every time he tried Golovkin was hitting him with big left hooks.

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
        there are certain disadvantages of cutting off the ring and so far none of his opponents have been able to exploit them.
        Well you said it. You need to remember Golovkin has been chasing fighters round the ring since Day 1 because no one wants to stand with a banger.

That's 450 amateur fights, every serious sparring session and 33 pro fights.

Ouma did well but he went fewer rounds than Murray in the end, went to hospital and was put out of the sport for years. He was also reputed to have great punch resistance which allowed him to stand with G.

Comment

It all looks pretty and handy in text, but once you are in front of Gennady, you are up against something Godly. It sounds a bit arrogant but it's true. Gennady is the most impressive fighter combat sports has ever seen. Logic/gameplans/skills/etc dont work against a monster like this.

Comment

Psss wake me when lil G stop ducking Canelolujah!

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
              It all looks pretty and handy in text, but once you are in front of Gennady, you are up against something Godly. It sounds a bit arrogant but it's true. Gennady is the most impressive fighter combat sports has ever seen. Logic/gameplans/skills/etc dont work against a monster like this.
              He really isn't and if you think that your are mentally unstable...Guys like Eubank would've waxed GGG in a few rounds..

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                Well you said it. You need to remember Golovkin has been chasing fighters round the ring since Day 1 because no one wants to stand with a banger.

That's 450 amateur fights, every serious sparring session and 33 pro fights.

Ouma did well but he went fewer rounds than Murray in the end, went to hospital and was put out of the sport for years. He was also reputed to have great punch resistance which allowed him to stand with G.
                Murray went down 3 times during the fight and clinched a LOT in order to stay there for 11 rounds.

Ouma is everybody's favorite favorite example of how an average fighter was able to stick with Golovkin and give him "trouble". But that's not even close to being the full story:

“That was the first time I saw him fight live, and to be honest I was disappointed,” Loeffler recalled of Golovkin’s 10-round TKO win. “I had seen these previous knockouts on tape and heard all the stories, and then he fights Ouma and he just looked off. And the reason why is — a lot of people don’t realize this — he had a visa issue and they wouldn’t let him and Abel leave the U.S. until he got his visa extended. They spent all day at the airport and then they had to fly in on a red-eye and they didn’t get any sleep on the plane and then they had to change planes in Miami. So he finally showed up and drove directly from the airport to the weigh-in because of the delay. He weighed in and just was completely exhausted from that trip, and that showed with the fight.”

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                  I think the slowness of his foot movement is a weakness he has in this respect. He's a slip and slide mover rather than a guy who stays on his toes. The advantages are he maintains excellent balance and conserves energy. The disadvantages are he just doesn't move as quickly as a guy who bounces on his toes in the ring. I think Golovkin can be turned and prevented from getting set (for a while at least) by a clever enough and quick enough fighter. But it's hard to see who that would be as there aren't a lot of guys out there who have that combination of mobility and close range slickness. Most likely clinching would yield better results which is why Ward would have success against him.

Another thing about Golovkin’s ring cutting is that he uses his punches to do it too. Like George Foreman in this video.

That’s what Buddy McGirt didn’t understand in the Macklin fight. He was telling Macklin slip to his left. But every time he tried Golovkin was hitting him with big left hooks.
                  cant you reduce the size of your gif in that signature, its causing alot of trouble loading every time you post in a thread and it is HUUUUUGE

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post

This video is perfect example of what I was talking baout earlier. George Foreman cuts the ring as a reaction to you moving. GGG cuts the ring off on you pre-emptively, so he doesn't react where you want to go, he doesn't even give you a chance to go there and fighters see this and they are not used to is as nobody has cut off the ring on them like that so they freeze, actually forget that they can even go to their right.

Comment

Working...
                    X