No announcement yet.

Sparring etiquette

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring etiquette

So what "unwritten" rules are there to sparring because I kind of hate the feeling that I shouldn't go at it and constantly thinking "too hard?" esp' when the result of misjudging it or thinking about too much is getting hit in the face by somebody who trains specifically to do as much damage with a hit...So, is there an etiquette to sparring? I get that if you have them trapped and they've become nothing but meat to you, you don't carry on for the knockout and check they're ok and I get that you don't hit them at full but I mean you are wearing 14 oz. + gloves to soften the blow so you shouldn't have to decrease it too much. Any moves which are considered a "no no", example being maybe an uppercut?

When you have them trapped throw combo's then let him out. If you stun them the coach will step in. Uppercuts are fine but you won't be sparring too much where you would need to use the uppercut.

Comment

nothing wrong with type of punches..maybe punch power tho. my coach always gets maad when we look like we are trying to take each others heads' off. he says "throw dem fast but dont try to kill him...he's supposed to be ur teammate."

Comment

I just try to match my partners intensity

Comment

yeah whatever intensity they decide too do, for example yesterday i returned to my old gym and sparred with my friend and old sparring partner who has a 28 kg weight advantage. i started light but he threw some hard shots so i matched him and we went at it for 4 rounds, we're good mates though but sparring is like a fight, not a teaparty.........

Comment

I tend to want sparring to be relaxed in a medium-high paced boxing match, however whenever an idiot goes all out just trying to hurt me i just stop ****ing around and get in the winky guard and ram flush one-two's into peoples faces.

Comment

Someone else has posted it and I agree with them. I tend to judge from my partners intensity and then go from there. Some guys I really bang with because we both know thats what we are looking for. Others I lay off and work countering and my jab, also footwork.

Comment

Working...
              X