Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Canelo takes a legit decision, where does Golovkin's legacy stand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
    His legacy takes a hit yeah, I mean, he would end on paper 1-1-1 against elite A opposition wich would make him a simple elite fighter in his own division, not an ATG or P4P top dude by any means, I mean yeah, more a top dude at 160.

It's sad because I think he had his physical peak before those fights and GGG is a clearly a physical fighter.

I'm tempted to believe GGG would have done even better versus Nelo and DJ 3 years younger, he would have that extra speed/reflexes/anger that he lost to surprise and hurt them, have them more cautious and trapped.
    But at the end of the day, who really knows?
    I think the GG beast from 3 or 4 years ago would have done great in this stacked division. It's unfortunate for him that 160 became a ghost town during his prime, and is now hot again that he's hitting his late 30's. A lot of people won't like this but I personally view everything he accomplishes now as being particularly impressive because he's battling time as well as a stacked division. I hope he pursues legacy building fights.

Comment

His legacy probably takes a bit of a hit because This will give ammunition to all his detractors that said he wasn’t sh.it and just fought in a weak era ( which is true )

But unless he goes Apesh.it in the next
      Couple years and gets Ws facing Canelo, Saunders , Charlo maybe Devrechenko or Murata I don’t think he’ll be considered a ATG MW anyways because right now he ls beaten something like 6 or so Past,Current or Future World Champions most of them being B class champs and his only Fight against a future HOf ( Canelo ) was a draw even though the decision was pure bull****. Right now That ls probably not enough to be on the Rushmore of MWs

But he’s 36 so he is fighting on borrowed time. With the exception of Mayweather , B-hop what elite guys were still competing against the very best and winning in the last say 30-40 years HWs not included. He’s probably going to take a loss eventually if he keeps fighting but I’d predict it’ll be Charlo as the one to do it if they ever fight

Comment

It definitely won't be a good look.

Comment

I never bought that the first fight was a robbery. And I never bought that Golovkin has hit at any point a place where losing should be blamed on his age as a sole factor. So if he legitimately loses against Alvarez this time, with a close first and a close one with Jacobs, I wouldn't rate him as one of the great middleweights, let alone p4p fighters. Kostya Tszyu is someone I would rate higher in a p4p sense (far from an insult intended), if he took that L legitimately and rode off into the sunset.

And if he loses, and wants a third, I don't see him winning it. I could even see Saunders beating him after that. I think Alvarez has more adjustments to him than Golovkin and I can see it seriously taking the steam out of Golovkin to have a real loss to Alvarez at this point. I also don't think much of Golovkin's "title fights" before becoming the WBA champion without the regular/super nonsense. That's not his fault, all things considered, but in a historical sense, I'm not going to rate it very seriously as part of his title fight credentials.

Comment

A loss here would mean a third fight, and please no, I dont want a third one like this drama anymore.
            GGG wins, then saunders, then the jacobs-dchencko winner and that could be the rematch all people want

Comment

Originally posted by stealthradon View Post
              Trout is overrated as fúck.
              Before the Canelo fight, his top 3 fights were
              Cotto
              Rigoberto Alvarez who was coming off a TKO loss to Rubio, fights against literal nobodies, and a gift decision against Ishida.
              Nilson Julio Tapia - MD.
              Maybe, but who hold better wins than Nelo in the fight game (except Pacquiao)?

Nobody that's right...

You can only make a case about Loma.

So saying he doesn't have great wins is stupid or nobody does in the fight game.

Watch Nelo record/wins, then watch GGG, Crawford, Mickey and Spence records and have a good laugh.
              They fought B+ guys at beast
              Last edited by BillyBoxing; 06-20-2018, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                I think the GG beast from 3 or 4 years ago would have done great in this stacked division. It's unfortunate for him that 160 became a ghost town during his prime, and is now hot again that he's hitting his late 30's. A lot of people won't like this but I personally view everything he accomplishes now as being particularly impressive because he's battling time as well as a stacked division. I hope he pursues legacy building fights.
                I think he should move up next (and if he stays at 160 get a guy like Ariza)

I think he would do very well at 168 and even 175, because guys out there are style wise more available, heavier and willing to trade.

What worries GGG is speed at this point and chasing his opponents, he's getting slower. He seems to kinda overtrain, had long amat+pro careers, and his body looks washed up a bit.

So moving up and stopping cutting weight would rejuvenate his body for a couple of years.

160 top dudes Nelo, Jacobs, Charlo, BJS are movers/more or less tricky and way faster, more mobile than all 168, 175 champs.

I'm not saying he would lose to them but he might make easier fights moving up, this being more prestigious for his legacy being X divisions champ ect...

Only Benavidez would be a bad, competitive fight for triple.

I think triple would walk through guys like De Gale, Smith, Ucaz and maybe even Groves.

And I would give GGG a solid shot to beat Stevenson and Kova.

GGG might struggle more with Charlo than Kova IMO, wich is weird because Kova would kill Charlo. Charlo will move and jab if he fight GGG, Charlo was very defensive versus Trout so I can see him back pedaling versus triple wich would be the good way to fight him, using a long quick jab.

Kova would bang with GGG.
                I think GGG would submit Kova into body punching submission like Ward did. Kova stiff stance would be his downfall. Mental wise, Kova wouldn't like that GGG pressure.

Style makes fights and I believe a full fledged 168/175 GGG would be a chasing monster.

GGG chin and power are just that good IMO and would even upgrade a bit moving up.
                Last edited by BillyBoxing; 06-20-2018, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
                  Maybe, but who hold better wins than Nelo in the fight game (except Pacquiao)?

Nobody that's right...

You can only make a case about Loma.

So saying he doesn't have great wins is stupid or nobody does in the fight game.

Watch Nelo record/wins, then watch GGG, Crawford, Mickey and Spence records and have a good laugh.
                  They fought B+ guys at beast
                  Who A guys did Canelo fight?

To be A you need to be in your prime as well.

Comment

know its a hypothetical question but i just cant see how he would legitimately lose to canelo based on the 1st fight. got to remember that was a drugged up version of canelo too, he was on god knows how many performance enhancers.hes gonna be worse this time round.
                    Last edited by Prince Madison; 06-20-2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

it means GGG has a draw and a loss at elite level, thats all. no biggie.

Comment

Working...
                      X