Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tyson Fury to Fight Francesco Pianeta on August 18 in Belfast

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
    I'm still not sure how Pianetea beat Duhaupas back in the day, have never seen any footage of that one, curious how that fight went
    I forgot about that. His best win for sure but Duhaupas was just kind of coming into his own. That was his first real step up & he was being brought in to fight prospects. I believe after this fight he beat 2 more prospect before getting in there with another prospect at the time Erkan Teper. That was a good close fight then Johann’s phone started ringing & a month later he beat Charr who had all those WBC regional belts giving him a top 15 ranking which lead to Wilder. I think Duhaupas realized after the Pianeta fight that he belonged on the world level. Pianeta was a decent prospect & maybe I short changed him in an earlier post but he still was Euro/C level at best. On par with Scott, Kingpin, Molina & Rudenko. I still think it is a decent step for Fury.

Comment

Originally posted by alexjust View Post
      You always believe people who say they are amazing? It works, I see that. Works for politicians, why won't it work for boxers, right?

Given Klitschko's history of losses - no, I don't think this is a lame excuse. Add to that 10 years of dominance in the division, which must add to natural complacency and general lack of hunger (I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier), his wife's post-patum depression at the time, which would affect anyone who cares about his better half...yeah, I believe it was an off night for him. He was just way too bad on the night to give all the credit to Fury. And, btw, I don't take the credit from Fury (to the extent he deserves it), he beat him fair and square. It is unfortunate Fury had a depression and they never had a definitive rematch.

What Fury does now though is a travesty. I get he is rusty and lost a lot of weight. For a true champ it should mean top 40 or 50 HW, if you are super generous. Fine. For the second fight top 20. For the third top 15, if you really want to stretch it. But not Seferi, mind you, and this dude, whose last six opponents have only one who has a Wikipedia page. And 2 losses btw. And no rankings to speak of. He is tall. Yeah, fabulous attribute. Raise your standards, man. I guarantee you Tony Bellew would give Fury a ton of problems in his second fight and they know it, that's why Fury only does the blabbing into the camera instead of to Tony's face with the gloves on.
      I believe that belief and confidence go a long way in boxing, even when it comes to stamina and being able to push yourself, some people have it, some don't.

Fury was all wrong for Klitschko. Fury beat him easily and played with him, Klitschko had never dealt with a 6'9 HW that can move as well as Fury and win the battle of the jabs. It's all excuses on the Klitschko side, no one talks about the stunts they pulled to throw Fury off, they knew damn well they needed every advantage, from gloves to a spongy ring lol

Fury's situation is not just some ex-champ coming back from a layoff. The guy was 350+ lbs, had not been training at all for a long time, was drinking and taking cocaine.... you can't expect people to just come back after 6 months training and fight top level.... most of that just being weight loss.... he's fighting regularly and will be slowly picking up oppisition while shedding weight. Fury is a unique case and should be afforded 3/4 easy fights before going for top 10 guys.

Comment

That 3x fight deal he got was the easiest money he’s ever earned. At this rate he’d be ready for a crack at a title in about 2050.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post

Fury's situation is not just some ex-champ coming back from a layoff. The guy was 350+ lbs, had not been training at all for a long time, was drinking and taking cocaine.... you can't expect people to just come back after 6 months training and fight top level.... most of that just being weight loss.... he's fighting regularly and will be slowly picking up oppisition while shedding weight. Fury is a unique case and should be afforded 3/4 easy fights before going for top 10 guys.
          Interesting flexibility when it comes to the champ you like. Would you afford the same flexibility to the former champ you don't like?

But anyway, Fury wasn't force fed, was he? Nobody forced him to do cocaine or drink like a horse either. Its not Danny Jacobs situation, where I'd have all the sympathy in the world for the guy. Fury's depression has exacerbated his drinking and lack of discipline, not created it. It makes a big difference, IMO.

And i didn't say top 10 guy, did I? I said top 40-50, which you seem to have overlooked for some reason. Than't not even close to the "top level", isn't it? But he didn't even have confidence to do that. That's the problem. He wants to take it "easy" - fine, but that "easy" needs to be in context of a combat sport. And in the context of a lineal, 4 belt champion, who believes he is the best thing ever in boxing. You can't have it both ways. And how much crap did Haye take for the choice of his opponents? Rightly so. So should Fury.

Comment

I'm cool with Fury taking it easy for the next year or so.

I mean, dude was depressed, suicidal, morbidly obese, and coked out.

We forget, it wasn't 100% likely that he would live through what he was going through.

Let's let Wilder & Joshua & Parker figure things out for the next year while Fury gets better and then he can get back in the mix for 2020

Comment

Well even the most biased of critics won't be able to criticize this choice of opponent, great to see Fury stepping up, not long ago Pianeta was fighting or belts so keen to see how Fury has progressed.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
                Neither was i but he had a good engine, threw a lot of punches & looked to be able to throw from both stances. There were a lot of arm punches & he kept his hands low but he moved a lot & wasn’t easy to hit cleanly in either fight. He outworked Pianeta & Kingpin. The Kingpin stoppage was from a bad cut early in the fight. It was an unintentional headbutt In the 3rd i think & then he fought on until it was stopped in the 8th. He did drop Kingpin in the 5th with a good left hook but it was more of a nicely timed hook as kingpin was wiping blood from his eye & never saw it coming...
                Gotcha, do agree that for a big guy Milas did have a lot of movement and switched between southpaw and orthodox, but I was hoping for more venom in his punches for a guy that size and to not let Pianeta lumber towards him all night. If you can't stop Pianeta at 6'5, 230 right after Kingpin stopped him, I'm going to worry about you as you go up the ladder. But he's still very young, especially for a HW, so I'm certainly not writing him off yet

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
                  I forgot about that. His best win for sure but Duhaupas was just kind of coming into his own. That was his first real step up & he was being brought in to fight prospects. I believe after this fight he beat 2 more prospect before getting in there with another prospect at the time Erkan Teper. That was a good close fight then Johann’s phone started ringing & a month later he beat Charr who had all those WBC regional belts giving him a top 15 ranking which lead to Wilder. I think Duhaupas realized after the Pianeta fight that he belonged on the world level. Pianeta was a decent prospect & maybe I short changed him in an earlier post but he still was Euro/C level at best. On par with Scott, Kingpin, Molina & Rudenko. I still think it is a decent step for Fury.
                  I had never really heard of Duhaupas going into the Charr fight and I remembered being shocked to hear that Charr had lost. To me, this fight for Fury would have been a very solid and reasonable step up BEFORE Pianeta lost to Kingpin imo. Before that you could have made an argument that he was still a fringe contender who had only lost in title fights. Getting stopped by Kingpin ****ing Johnson in 2017 means you are nowhere near world level, hence I consider this only a very small step up for Fury.

Comment

Very nice jump up in competition.

Now he's in with a 2 time world title challenger who even went several rounds with a prime Wlad.

Good test for fury against a guy just outside the top 10 best heavyweights

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                      Very nice jump up in competition.

Now he's in with a 2 time world title challenger who even went several rounds with a prime Wlad.

Good test for fury against a guy just outside the top 10 best heavyweights
                      Just outside? Just like Pluto is just outside my door mat.

Comment

Working...
                      X