Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we start a robberies of the year list.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we start a robberies of the year list.

I'm a bit late on this one but didnt see any threads made about it, probably because it wasnt high profile enough. Hopefully we can keep this updated. But to start,

*I'll update here*

Rances Barthelemy vs Arash Usmanee - Usmanee won this 9rd to 3rd.

Juan Carlos Burgos vs Roman Martinez - Burgos had this by 9rd's to 3
    Last edited by yuppie; 01-20-2013, 07:37 PM.

Good report on the Rances Barthelemy vs. Arash Usmanee fight from Dan Rafael's scorecard:

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...ces-barthelemy

Rances Barthelemy W12 Arash Usmanee

Junior lightweight title eliminator

Scores: 116-112 (twice), 115-113

Records: Barthelemy (18-0, 11 KOs); Usmanee (20-1, 10 KOs)

Rafael's remarks: There's some good news here and some bad news. The good news? ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" returned and we got an excellent fight between two interesting, unbeaten boxers as the curtain rose on the series' 15th season. The bad, however, was an awful decision in favor of Barthelemy; he made it a good fight but no way, no how deserved the decision from judges Ric Bays, Rich Green, Valerie Dorsett, who gave us a robbery of the year candidate in the first national TV fight of 2013. The scoring really marred an otherwise terrific fight. ESPN2 analyst Teddy Atlas' postfight meltdown assailing the judges and their scoring -- "It's either incompetence or it's corruption! That is disgraceful! Happy New Year to you same old disgraceful judges!" -- was one for the all-time meltdown archive. Really a shame it had to end that way, but at least it was a good fight. And Barthelemy, 26, locked up the No. 2 position in one of the sanctioning organizations to move a step closer to a mandatory title shot.

Usmanee, 30, was getting his first national television exposure. He has an interesting background and an appealing fighting style. As a 6-year-old in his native Afghanistan, Usmanee lost his father, who was killed by a Russian rocket during the war with the Soviets. In 1994, when he was 12, he moved with his family to Alberta, Canada, and later settled in Montreal as he pursed a boxing career. Barthelemy was a standout amateur in Cuba and now lives in Miami, where he received the benefit of the hometown decision. Usmanee and Barthelemy were somewhat familiar with each other because they sparred together a few years ago.

Barthelemy got off to a good start, especially in the first two rounds. He was quicker than Usmanee and displayed a very solid left jab. But Usmanee made critical adjustments and came on strong. He attacked Barthelemy to the body and turned the bout into more of a toe-to-toe fight. Barthelemy couldn't help but be dragged into it. There were a lot of exciting exchanges. By the middle rounds, Usmanee seemed to be dominating the action and on his way to the victory. If there was any doubt who was ahead, Usmanee appeared to lock up the fight in the 12th round with a dominant closing stretch. He repeatedly rocked a fading Barthelemy, who was hanging on for dear life and on the run during the round. Barthelemy was clearly out of gas and was lucky to stay on his feet. The CompuBox punch statistics favored Usmanee, who was credited with landing 288 of 1,088 punches (26 percent), while Barthelemy landed 238 of 824 (29 percent). Of Usmanee's total, he landed 258 power shots to Barthelemy's 189.

Then came the scorecards, which sounded as if they would be for Usmanee -- until, stunningly, Barthelemy was declared the winner. Based on his reaction, even Barthelemy seemed shocked to have gotten the decision. Despite the "loss," Usmanee's stock surely rose in this fight and he should have another opportunity on national television. Barthelemy is a good fighter too. He just didn't deserve this victory.

Comment

i fell asleep and missed this one. i gotta get my fnf legs back. i'm out of boxing season / fnf season shape.

Comment

It was a really good fight, i cant remember the name of the commentator but he was saying for his new year boxing resolutions that he wanted judges to be held accountable for their bad scoring. What happened in the very next fight...?!

Comment

I read somewhere that the judges of this fight did not want to give their final scorecards to the press.

Ridiculous!

Comment

calzaghe-hopkins

it's still 2008 right?

Comment

Originally posted by yuppie View Post
              It was a really good fight, i cant remember the name of the commentator but he was saying for his new year boxing resolutions that he wanted judges to be held accountable for their bad scoring. What happened in the very next fight...?!
              sounds like something teddy atlas would say

Comment

Originally posted by fceeviper View Post
                I read somewhere that the judges of this fight did not want to give their final scorecards to the press.

Ridiculous!
                if they had nothing to hide there should be no problem but they wanna cover up that home cooking

Comment

my website http://fightscorecollector.blogspot.com has been covering loads of fights for a year now.

I had the Barthelemeny/Usmanee fight 115-113 Usmanee, most press guys who tweeted me after the fight had Usmanee winning with the score of 116-112 most posted.

here are some example of what my site did last year concerning robberies

cloud/campillio.....42-3-1 press and fans scored for campillio...3 for cloud

rios/abril......78-3-1 press and fans scored for abril.......3 for rios

pacquiao/Bradley.....248-7-10 scored for Pacquiao.....7 for Bradley

all press and fans score are listed in the site

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
                    sounds like something teddy atlas would say
                    Pretty sure it was Teddy. He was going off about that decision for bit. I really enjoyed the rant.

That decision was bull****. Pretty universal in the FNFs thread as well. I dont think anyone even considered trying to justify that decision. Blatant robbery...

Comment

Working...
                    X