Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can anyone defend Hopkins in the “who ducked who” wars for Roy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iseah100 View Post
    Smh @ Hopkins. I didn't know this lol.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
    its not really the whole story. Hopkins point was he would have to give up his middleweight titles and give up going for the record of defenses so he thought that was worth some money.

Comment

Originally posted by pturtle View Post
      Hopkins was certainly the duck. He called out Roy for the rematch I believe for more exposure.

He wanted a 50/50 with Roy but I thought Roy being p4p king at the time was generous in offering 60/40 to a guy he was more relevant then and already defeated.

Can anyone say B-Hop deserved a 50/50 fight when:

Roy was considered the best fighter in the world at the time

The bigger name and bigger draw.

Already won the first fight.

And Hopkins beating Roy would do much more for him the Roy beating Hopkins again would do for Roy.

Can anyone really say this wasn’t a duck?
      this all can be taken into consideration definitely, but at the end of the day, you can also say, that roy jones jr., even with being more relevant, than bernard hopkins in 2001-2002, was somewhat lucky to have that trump card to play, when he beat bernard hopkins in 93...yes roy jones jr., beat bernard hopkins, but the fight itself, was an undercard match, was quite mediocre, but bernard hopkins, was roy jones jr.'s toughest opponent during that time...

bernard hopkins, managing himself and remaining @ 160, fought in obscurity for years until he won the middleweight tournament, and roy jones moved up a couple of divisions, was considered the #1 lightheavy/p4p king, but never became the cash cow on the level of de la hoya or even trinidad, but he held that trump card, when it came to bernard hopkins...

looking back, had trinidad won that tournament, i doubt if roy jones jr., would have got a 60-40 split in his favor, over a fighter who brought more to the negotiating table imo, but who would have been an easier opponent than bernard hopkins, as bernard hopkins pointed out, in their infamous "60-40" interview on hbo...

that being said, imo, both guys had enough reason to avoid each other...bernard hopkins had to call out roy jones jr. from a promotional/business standpoint yeah, but bernard hopkins/roy jones jr. 2, in 2001-2002, wouldn't have been a megafight...didn't seem like hbo, was willing to throw out major loot for the rematch, giving how dead the first fight was...both guys stood their ground, knowing that they both stood to lose a lot in a loss, and just sold woof tickets...

Comment

60/40 get yo ass kicked

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
          its not really the whole story. Hopkins point was he would have to give up his middleweight titles and give up going for the record of defenses so he thought that was worth some money.
          there was also things that happened behind closed doors. There's a hopkins interview that says he did accept 60/40 but when it came down to signing the contracts it wasn't 60/40 at all it was a lot less. That's hopkins side of the story of course but it should be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
            this all can be taken into consideration definitely, but at the end of the day, you can also say, that roy jones jr., even with being more relevant, than bernard hopkins in 2001-2002, was somewhat lucky to have that trump card to play, when he beat bernard hopkins in 93...yes roy jones jr., beat bernard hopkins, but the fight itself, was an undercard match, was quite mediocre, but bernard hopkins, was roy jones jr.'s toughest opponent during that time...

bernard hopkins, managing himself and remaining @ 160, fought in obscurity for years until he won the middleweight tournament, and roy jones moved up a couple of divisions, was considered the #1 lightheavy/p4p king, but never became the cash cow on the level of de la hoya or even trinidad, but he held that trump card, when it came to bernard hopkins...

looking back, had trinidad won that tournament, i doubt if roy jones jr., would have got a 60-40 split in his favor, over a fighter who brought more to the negotiating table imo, but who would have been an easier opponent than bernard hopkins, as bernard hopkins pointed out, in their infamous "60-40" interview on hbo...

that being said, imo, both guys had enough reason to avoid each other...bernard hopkins had to call out roy jones jr. from a promotional/business standpoint yeah, but bernard hopkins/roy jones jr. 2, in 2001-2002, wouldn't have been a megafight...didn't seem like hbo, was willing to throw out major loot for the rematch, giving how dead the first fight was...both guys stood their ground, knowing that they both stood to lose a lot in a loss, and just sold woof tickets...
            my man dj schooling the public...good post

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
              there was also things that happened behind closed doors. There's a hopkins interview that says he did accept 60/40 but when it came down to signing the contracts it wasn't 60/40 at all it was a lot less. That's hopkins side of the story of course but it should be considered.
              these threads pop up when either you or yours truly piss somebody off...thats what I've noticed man...real talk!!

maybe I'm bugging out but thats what it SEEMS like!!..I could be wrong though!!

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
                my man dj schooling the public...good post
                thank you and much respect sekondzout!

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post

He was calling Roy out though, he was the one who said he wanted the best fighter in the world, and for a guy who couldn’t really get fights at the time deserves 50/50 with Mr HBO? lets be real here people if Floyd was in Roys position and Pac was in B-Hops position everyone would be saying Pac is ducking Floyd, hell they are saying it now even though he gave into every term possible to make the fight.

I respect B-Hop as a fighter but I can’t see how anyone can defend him in this case unless you are one of these pro black fighter lovers, or your from philly and have to defend him.

Comment

And lets not forget B-Hop ducked Toney like crazy, the fight was pretty much set with a ring magazine made of it, and then Hopkins pulled out saying he deserved the lions share. And this was after Toney beat Jirov in 03 i believe could be wrong on the year though.

Comment

am i the only one who really enjoyed hopkins jones I? i've watched that fight atleast a dozen times, and i'll go back to it for little tricks on boxing everynow and then

Comment

Working...
                      X