Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do Matthysse fans think?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lmao what a load of ****. No way in hell did he lose to devon and no it wasnt even close either. Despite having 1 eye against garcia in later rounds he never stopped coming forward and molina dropped him twice but he got up twice to ko him.

This whole **** about lucas lacking fighting spirit is bs

Saying all that he quit against postol but duran quit against srl and he still considered a warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Barn View Post
      I'm sad to say I think he's finished. He fought like he'd went through a round of chemotherapy before the fight. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it came out that there was something really wrong with him. It's either that or he's completely stopped caring about boxing.
      I disagree there and people seem to be running with this 'lack of motivation' for boxing, before the fight he was very motivated to prove a point, go on to possibly face Pacquaio. If anyone zapped his confidence it was Postol, once he saw he couldn't get within his range, once he saw that his punches continued to get smothered...it ate away at him, and no one has ever neutralized Matthysse in that manner.

What Matthysse needs is a new trainer, it's sickening that he can't get anything going from close quarters, since forever it's been rabbit punching or loading up on shots that aren't gonna land. Just find himself a new trainer, that's a good start. Looking at the weigh in, a move to 147 will also help him.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        don't blame his team, he quit last night, his trainer didn't go in the ring and ask him to quit did he?

Matthysse had the same plan he has always had, try and outbox an opponent and look for big punches, it helped him beat Provo who is very basic. But against better, more skilled opponents, when Mathhysse realises "damn, I can't outbox him" he goes to throw big punches and when he can't get them out, like Garcia or Alexander, he starts to tire down the stretch and his activity decreases. Matt doesn't have the heart for a war.

I and many other objective fans have been saying this for years.
        You clearly talk about things you dont know, for example saying that Alexander beat Matthysse. I'll just assume you don know boxing 101 but you just didnt see the fight. As someone else said 90% of people agree he got robbed because he did in fact get robbed. Or for example not understanding the kind of clowns he has in his team. A team which fell apart in recent years and the manager best idea was to put that idiot Coggi in there.
        About his team, it just sucks on all possible leves. They just dont have a strategy, they cant even heal their fighter when he gets hurt. Provodnikov got hurt BAD against Matthysse, but his corner did a miracle job in keeping that cut from opening up. Matthysse's team is so... ****ing typical Argentine. Meaning mediocre, and I'm saying this as an Argentine myself but its just the way it is. Serious talent from Argentina is much better off going abroad, its true for everyone from Messi to Maidana.
        But hey, that's just what I see: A great boxer that screwed his chance because he didnt know how to get a better team around him. Maybe he likes asados and mate too much, maybe he's homesick, but I'm telling you if he had joined Robert Garcia after the Gift loss today he would have a belt. Maidana, Cuellar, even Matthysse's newphew are with Robert Garcia. Its just too late for Lucas now.
        Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
        What Matthysse needs is a new trainer, it's sickening that he can't get anything going from close quarters, since forever it's been rabbit punching or loading up on shots that aren't gonna land. Just find himself a new trainer, that's a good start. Looking at the weigh in, a move to 147 will also help him.
        Exactly, just like Maidana did back in the day. Maidana is actually the best example of what's wrong with Matthysse: His fking team! Maidana was about to quit boxing before going with Robert. Chino had guts, had power but fought like a damn bum at times. Robert helped him use the jab more, Robert HAS A FKING PLAN for the fight. He went from being about to quit boxing to literally becomign world champa nd even knocking FMJ teeth out.
        Last edited by FerFAL; 10-04-2015, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          Like 90% of people thought Lucas won that fight. There's no way Alexander won 6 rounds and that's what he needed to win because of the KD. It was a clear as day robbery and that is how it is generally considered.
          Don't assign a percentage to a random guess. I remember everyone being pretty split on that one, maybe slightly more towards Lucas. Devon outworked him in a lot of rounds. Far from a robbery, Devon landed a lot.

I agree with the thread starter, this guy was so overrated on NSB, it got pretty ludicrous at one stage. Even after he lost to Garcia there was people making threads about a potential Matthysse-Cotto fight and lots of guys picking Matthysse by KO!!! Really??? Cotto has never been anything but elite, and he would have tanked Matthysse at any weight.

I get bored of the cycle to be honest. Puncher comes along, KO'ing C and D level fighters, hype begins. He steps up and might even KO a B level fighter, hype is now in full flow, fighter is being touted as a potential ATG, steps up to an A-level fighter (sometimes it doesn't even take that) gets exposed, everyone does U turn, rinse and repeat with the next one.

Matthysse is a good fighter, he would be/been a worthy alphabet titlist, but people need to grow up and not get fooled by punchers and their abilities, it shows a lack of boxing knowledge. At least wait until that puncher pulls off a good win against top level guys. Matthysse never separated himself from guys like Judah, or Alexander. They were close fights and it was obvious that he was not special, whether you believe he won those fights or not.

Its the same with GGG now, at least wait until he fights B and A level guys before people say the things they are saying about him. Don't get me wrong GGG is not just a puncher, but he does rely on his ability to hurt the opposing fighter, as you step up in class, in general fighters have better chins, defence, and they just don't go down like that. It is only then when we see what he is truly capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            Don't assign a percentage to a random guess. I remember everyone being pretty split on that one, maybe slightly more towards Lucas. Devon outworked him in a lot of rounds. Far from a robbery, Devon landed a lot.

I agree with the thread starter, this guy was so overrated on NSB, it got pretty ludicrous at one stage. Even after he lost to Garcia there was people making threads about a potential Matthysse-Cotto fight and lots of guys picking Matthysse by KO!!! Really??? Cotto has never been anything but elite, and he would have tanked Matthysse at any weight.

I get bored of the cycle to be honest. Puncher comes along, KO'ing C and D level fighters, hype begins. He steps up and might even KO a B level fighter, hype is now in full flow, fighter is being touted as a potential ATG, steps up to an A-level fighter (sometimes it doesn't even take that) gets exposed, everyone does U turn, rinse and repeat with the next one.

Matthysse is a good fighter, he would be/been a worthy alphabet titlist, but people need to grow up and not get fooled by punchers and their abilities, it shows a lack of boxing knowledge. At least wait until that puncher pulls off a good win against top level guys. Matthysse never separated himself from guys like Judah, or Alexander. They were close fights and it was obvious that he was not special, whether you believe he won those fights or not.

Its the same with GGG now, at least wait until he fights B and A level guys before people say the things they are saying about him. Don't get me wrong GGG is not just a puncher, but he does rely on his ability to hurt the opposing fighter, as you step up in class, in general fighters have better chins, defence, and they just don't go down like that. It is only then when we see what he is truly capable of.
            I'm not assigning a random number. Search for the poll. It was somewhere around 90% that thought Lucas won. Maybe even more than that. This is way before Garcia and NSB caring about Lucas, too, so you can't say people are only saying that out of bias.

Comment

I always thought he's a good fighter but not a top fighter.

For all the people who say he was robbed against Judah and Devon, a top fighter wouldn't have let a shot Judah run them anywhere near to a very close fight. He just falls short once he gets anywhere near the top level. Like many fighters do, once they're facing like top 5 in the division then they look out of their depth, Broner being another one of them. It is what it is.

Still gorgeous though.
              Last edited by deathofaclown; 10-04-2015, 06:17 AM.

Comment

truth is lucas was never anywhere near as good as ppl claimed. hes a good fighter. but hes just as good as most of the other contentders and champions at 140. the only one i think that was superior to the rest was bradley when he was there. now ppl will hype postol...whos also just a decent guy.

Comment

As usual a fighter goes from overrated to underrated with no middle ground.

Hes been a very good fighter for the 140lb division. He beat and ko'd some good fighters and gave Garcia his physically toughest fight.

He isnt the fighter some thought he was, but that doesnt make him a bad fighter. Neither does it mean he isnt/wasnt world class (like another thread said).

Personally I think he was a good fighter who needed to learn how to force his fight on his opponents better. Judah, Alexander, Garcia and now Postol have all nuetralised him to large degree on the inside using clinching and yet he never seemed to come in with a way of combatting it. He also was never quite good enough at closing the distance on fighters who wouldnt stand and fight. Basically he wasnt an effective ring general.

When he was in range and free to punch he was/is devastating. Unfortunately for him there is more to boxing than that.

Its been a rollercoaster ride being a matthysse fan, but i fear its coming to an end

Comment

Absolutely devestated, that headbutt changed something and the tide of the fight changed. Matthysse was punishing him until the headbutt which made him shell up. I think that's it from Lucas. He heard something pop in that eye he's had previous with. I want to thank him for all the great fights he's given us and hopefully he can rest and relax now.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                      He just falls short once he gets anywhere near the top level. Like many fighters do, once they're facing like top 5 in the division then they look out of their depth, Broner being another one of them. It is what it is.
                      This right here.

Comment

Working...
                      X