No announcement yet.

10 things they wont tell you about the flint water tragedy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
    It is in this case. The city was ran exclusively by Democrats for a 40+ year uninterrupted span. It is what it is.
    And Rick Snyder was directly responsible for the escalation of the water crisis that is happening in Flint right now. It just so happens that he's a Republican so you felt the need to get defensive about it.

Me personally I don't care what political party he's in since its been proven that both of them are in bed with corporate fat cats and their advisers anyway. And they put their interests over those of regular people.

That matters more to me than "See, my party good. Your party bad."
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 02-02-2016, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      And Rick Snyder was directly responsible for the escalation of the water crisis that is happening in Flint right now. It just so happens that he's a Republican so you felt the need to get defensive about it.
      I see the concept of finding the root cause is totally foreign to you.

Me personally I don't care what political party he's in since its been proven that both of them are in bed with corporate fat cats and their advisers anyway. And they put their interests over those of regular people.
      Agreed, but in this case that's a moot point. Flint was ran by one Party exclusively for 40+ years. And you're giving that Party a pass!

That matters more to me than "See, my party good. Your party bad."
      Yes, and you should stop speaking like that and then attempting to condemn such flawed thinking. FYI, that's called hypocrisy.

Comment

Let me try it another way.

You blame Rick Snyder. That man is the State's Governor. This crisis is about Flint, a City.

So can you answer the simple question as to why a State official had to intervene in a City's business?

Comment

Assigning blame is easy. Fixing problems is difficult.

The primary focus needs to look at the impact to the people. Protect the people.

I am sure there is plenty of blame to go around.

Comment

So can you answer the simple question as to why a State official had to intervene in a City's business?
            A state official had to intervene because that's the way Rick Snyder wanted it. That wasn't the way things were done before and it wasn't even the way voters asked for.

"A centerpiece of Snyder’s agenda, and one of his first actions, was a new law that gave the state dramatic powers to take over failing municipalities and school boards by appointing emergency managers with unchecked authority. Michigan voters killed that law in a November 2012 referendum, but a month later Snyder got the legislature, in a lame-duck session, to enact a law very similar to the one voters had rejected. This time, legislators attached it to a spending bill so it couldn’t be undone by referendum."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...dc6_story.html

I see the concept of finding the root cause is totally foreign to you.
            Let's dig a little, then, and see if we can get to the root of why Snyder forced that law through.

"Gov. Rick Snyder doesn’t want you to know which corporations are paying to salvage his reputation in the wake of the lead poisoning of Flint’s children under his watch. In fact, when he was asked about it at a press conference in Flint on Wednesday, he walked out.

At issue are two dark money non-.profits, Moving Michigan Forward and Celebrating the Power of Michigan, that Snyder uses to accept corporate donations to fund various projects, including paying out-of-state P.R. firm Mercury to manage public relations related to Flint. Snyder hired Mercury in the wake of escalating disclosures that he and a series of “emergency managers” he appointed to dictate policy to the struggling city ended up exposing Flint’s children to elevated levels of lead in their drinking water.

Snyder claims the two dark money funds — and a predecessor called “the NERD fund” that he shut down under pressure before he faced reelection in 2014 — allow him to “transform Michigan” without drawing on the limited resources of the state. But some of those dark money funds have paid for the privatization of state and local resources, like schools and parks and Detroit’s water system. So it’s easy to see the funds as a way for private corporations to pay the governor to implement the policies that benefit them.

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/29/how_..._for_the_poor/

Comment

A state official had to intervene because that's the way Rick Snyder wanted it. That wasn't the way things were done before and it wasn't even the way voters asked for.
              Wrong. Try again. I'll re-phrase the question in the hopes you'll maybe get it:

Why was it Flint specifically he had to intervene in?

And a bonus question:

How many other municipalities, if any, did Governor Snider appoint emergency managers to?

"A centerpiece of Snyder’s agenda, and one of his first actions, was a new law that gave the state dramatic powers to take over failing municipalities and school boards by appointing emergency managers with unchecked authority.
              You're very close.

And you're proving my point, thank you!

Yes, they use your flawed logic and give a complete pass to the Party who ran the city into the ground for 40+ years. Genius.

FYI, that's a liberal paper. They openly endorsed Obama twice. Try again, this time with a neutral source. One that endorses Team D isn't going to cut it.

As to the rest of it, it's the typical Salon.com ad hominem attacks on Reps.

Again, that won't cut it. But I'll allow them to be considered neutral on one condition; if they posted who gave campaign donations to the Democrats who ran Flint for 40+ years as well. So, did they post that relevant info? I'm guessing 'No'....
              Last edited by 1bad65; 02-03-2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                Assigning blame is easy.
                Obviously not for all. ShoulderRoll is proving that.

Fixing problems is difficult.
                And especially so when the same people who screwed up the city for 40+ years expect to be taken as the authority on how to fix it.

The primary focus needs to look at the impact to the people. Protect the people.
                This may sound cold, but screw them. They mindlessly voted D for decades and decades while their city was being drove into the ground. They got what they voted for. They need to shut up and sleep in the bed they made for themselves.

I am sure there is plenty of blame to go around.
                Yup. Plenty of different Democrats ran that city over the 40+ year span in question. They deserve to rightly share the blame for destroying the city they presided over.

If a CEO runs a company into the ground, he must accept blame. The same goes for a City Council who run a city into the ground.

Comment

Obviously not for all. ShoulderRoll is proving that.

And especially so when the same people who screwed up the city for 40+ years expect to be taken as the authority on how to fix it.

This may sound cold, but screw them. They mindlessly voted D for decades and decades while their city was being drove into the ground. They got what they voted for. They need to shut up and sleep in the bed they made for themselves.

Yup. Plenty of different Democrats ran that city over the 40+ year span in question. They deserve to rightly share the blame for destroying the city they presided over.

If a CEO runs a company into the ground, he must accept blame. The same goes for a City Council who run a city into the ground.
                  Joseph de Maistre:
                  "Every country has the government it deserves" and "In a democracy people get the leaders they deserve."

Comment

By Dana Milbank Opinion writer

LMAO!!! An opinion piece as a source!

Please, continue on....

Comment

Flint was a struggling municipality but the one who rammed the take over law through was Snyder. Against the will of the voters. You're not getting around that.

If we dig a little more I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the same corporations who are now benefiting from the privatization of Flint's resources also had a hand in outsourcing their factory jobs in the first place. Ruin the economy so they can swoop in and buy everything cheap.

As to who contributed money to the Dems all those years I'd be interested in finding that out myself. How much do you want to bet that these same greedy corporate ****s were exerting their influence there too?

There's a lot out information coming to light now that needs to be sifted through to get an accurate picture, such as how much of a hand the DeVos family has in Michigan politics for example. The Nestle connection is very interesting as well. While you spend your time trying to defend your Republican team I'll be researching that and hoping the media does its job for once and investigates those avenues further.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Working...
                      X