No announcement yet.

NASA finds 7 Earth like planets orbiting one star

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PF Rudyo View Post
    **** you're right. Basically getting invaded by an army of Paul Williams.
    We gotta work that peekaboo style.

Get on the f.... inside like the late great diego corrales

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
      Those planets cannot support complex life.

They should be looking at star systems like 61 Virginis, HD 172051, 72 Herculis, and Beta Canum Venaticorum.
      It's not only about finding out if they could have life or not, sure that's one factor but hardly everything. They are constantly learning about exoplanets and there are so many crazy variations that we are learning about, seven planets this close together with an ultracool dwarf star has never been observed like this before, its truly unique, so its a big deal just to learn about it which helps us further our understanding of solar systems, their formations and so on. It's a great opportunity.

Plus, it's not like it takes much from NASA. They simply have their telescopes aimed at TRAPPIST-1 (the Spitzer Space Telescope) for a set amount of time and that's it, they move on to the next project while whatever team(s) working on this will continue analyzing the data that was collected (I believe a team in University of Liège in Belgium are the leading experts on TRAPPIST and already used their telescopes on the ground to gather a lot of information, but needed NASA to further their research, for example the team discovery two planets and thought there was a third, NASA already confirmed that and found more planets bringing it to 7). I think I read in this case they will have a total of 70 days of data when it's all said and done collected by Spitzer, which with that data they'll be able to learn if any or all have atmospheres, what the atmospheres consist of and a ton of other things they'll be able to determine.

What they will learn is pretty much invaluable to science but regardless, it doesn't take much resources from NASA. They are simply using technology that already exists in their Spitzer telescope to collect the data over a set period of time and that's it.
      Last edited by ИATAS; 02-22-2017, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
        i dont get why they even tell us this shlt, like we can travel 40 lightyears away
        I heard about something like that on a science radio show on YT. A device that is being worked on, it has to do with chips and lasers that will be able to travel at some fraction of the speed of light. They will be aimed at Alpha Centauri, the chips will have information about us as the human race. If we were able to send them at the speed of light, they would get there in 4 and a half years, but at the fraction of speed of light that scientists are aiming for the chips would get their in 20 years. 20 years still beats 140,000 years (what it would take us with our current fastest transportation).

Edit, found it: https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/spa...rough-starshot

It's 1/5th the speed of light and project was started by a rich Russian Yuri Milner who will invest $100 million in the project and cosmologist Stephen Hawking.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          I heard about something like that on a science radio show on YT. A device that is being worked on, it has to do with chips and lasers that will be able to travel at some fraction of the speed of light. They will be aimed at Alpha Centauri, the chips will have information about us as the human race. If we were able to send them at the speed of light, they would get there in 4 and a half years, but at the fraction of speed of light that scientists are aiming for the chips would get their in 20 years. 20 years still beats 140,000 years (what it would take us with our current fastest transportation).

Edit, found it: https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/spa...rough-starshot

It's 1/5th the speed of light and project was started by a rich Russian Yuri Milner who will invest $100 million in the project and cosmologist Stephen Hawking.
          That's one thing about it - we have no idea what technology will bring tomorrow. There are theories, like this, that could make it possible one day to travel great distances that are impossible today.

But beyond that, like I said above its not just about life, there is wealth of knowledge to be learned by studying exoplanets. And of course why not? Also mentioned above, it doesn't require much resources from NASA, they are simply using a telescope already in use, aim it at TRAPPIST-1 for a set amount of time and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
            No way man, we learn so much from all of this. Plus, our survival of our entire species depends on space exploration. It's essential that we continue to learn as much as possible, as quickly as humanly possible, so that we can start colonizing our own solar system and hopefully behond.

I know it's hard for many people to look past our own lifetimes and that looking beyond that seems pointless and so far away, but really it isn't far away at all. 1969 we landed on the moon and the first man flew an airplane in 1903. In such a short amount of time technology has advanced at such a rapid pace. In 50 years we will likely have walked on Mars possibly a couple of times and 50 years after that it's possible colonies will be living on Mars! Think about how amazing that is and what it means for mankind. The more we learn about exoplanets the faster we can advance which ultimately will continue our species existence.
            That's the problem with the moon landing. We landed on the moon in 1969, and then...didn't do anything beyond that. It will be 50 years in 2019, and we've landed a robot on Mars, which is huge, and we've done a lot. But not nearly what one would've expected in 1969 that we would go on to do. Remember, the moon landing was nothing more than the US taking out their dicks and swinging it Soviet's face. It was just a bragging rights type of thing. US now needs other countries to do the same to them, like China and Russia, they need to show US how big their space exploration penis is so US can get motivated.

The #1 thing for the US budget is their military. Not science and research, which is why no recent BIG scientific breakthroughs are coming from the US. Like have you heard of CRISPS (human gene editing)? Not discovered by US (it was in a Spaniard university). This is huge, it was just given the green light. It's being called 'one of the greatest life science inventions ever'. the Chinese are already in clinical trials to use this for lung cancer. This pretty works like turning off a switch, whatever disease you have, if scientists know the gene that causes it (which is not that simple), with gene editing they can just turn it off. When perfected this will obviously be useful for unborn babies. Defects will be detected and eliminated before the baby is even born. So one day there will be 100% perfect babies, no disease, no cancer, etc. Crazy stuff. Even the US is starting clinical trials this year, the FDA actually approved it for clinical trials and you know **** they are.
            Last edited by -Kev-; 02-22-2017, 11:42 PM. Reason: Edited quote

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/s...nets-nasa.html

For a person standing on one of the planets, it would be a dim environment, with perhaps only about one two-hundredth the light that we see from the sun on Earth, Dr. Triaud said. (That would still be brighter than the moon at night.) The star would be far bigger. On Trappist-1f, the fifth planet, the star would be three times as wide as the sun seen from Earth.

As for the color of the star, “we had a debate about that,” Dr. Triaud said.

Some of the scientists expected a deep red, but with most of the star’s light emitted at infrared wavelengths and out of view of human eyes, perhaps a person would “see something more salmon-y,” Dr. Triaud said.

NASA released a poster illustrating what the sky of the fourth planet might look like.

If observations reveal oxygen in a planet’s atmosphere, that could point to photosynthesis of plants — although not conclusively. But oxygen together with methane, ozone and carbon dioxide, particularly in certain proportions, “would tell us that there is life with 99 percent confidence,” Dr. Gillon said.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                They are constantly learning about exoplanets and there are so many crazy variations that we are learning about, seven planets this close together with an ultracool dwarf star has never been observed like this before, its truly unique, so its a big deal just to learn about it which helps us further our understanding of solar systems, their formations and so on. It's a great opportunity.
                They have not been observed.

At about 40 light years distance, we can barely see the dim red dwarf they are supposedly revolving around. It is small even compared to other red dwarves.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...ts-trappist-1/

That said, we know very little about these planets, almost nothing beyond estimates for their size, distance from the host star, and orbital periods. We can detect exoplanets when they transit their host stars, meaning they move in front of the star from our perspective and block some of the light that reaches our telescopes. From the resulting dip in the star's brightness, we can deduce the presence of planets and even their size.
                And they may be jumping to conclusions, there can be other reasons for a red dwarf to dim and brighten.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...abitable-zones

Comment

Originally posted by RenegÄde View Post
                  You uneducated morons.

Do you know what nuclear fusion is? It's the most efficient form of energy production currently possible within reach of our technology, it's what fuels the sun. It produces as much energy as nuclear fission with none of the harmful emissions.

If we could utilize nuclear fusion, it would be a near unlimited form of clean energy. Do a google search and learn something for once in your life instead of smoking pot and jacking off all day.

Don't talk to me when you've never been to school. Talk to yourself and other minimum wage making potheads. Also **** both of your whore mothers.

**** I love boxing scene lol

Please, I want everyone to come at me so I can show you how much smarter I am than you.

Szef you circle jerking one liner punk bitch, I want to see your response about how psuedo science nuclear fusion is. Just by your response alone I know you've never been inside a higher education science classroom, you lightweight european faggot
                  Anytime some random faggot steps up to me, you can always count on szef ready to jump on their nuts lol

He's the kind of guy that was born to suck dick.
                  I never said it's a pseudo science. I just called you a pseudo intellectual because that's what you are.

From what I've read, we don't have the technology or knowledge needed to utilize it let alone putting it into commercial use. But apparently, nuclear fusion engine has already been patented by Boeing so who knows.

Lol at you acting like I've just started taking shots at you, I've been doing that since I got here and saw a dumb ass post made by a dumb ass user, Righteous.

My whore mother didn't raise an emotional little ***** who gets her panties in a twist (and sometimes makes pathetic videos of herself drinking a bottle of JD just because somebody said she can't do that ) every time somebody hurt her feelings online so I guess she ain't that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR MIKEY! View Post
                    shut the fuck up lmfao!
                    Originally posted by Szef View Post
                    Let's send this guy there so he could bore aliens to death with his pseudo intellectual monologs.
                    Originally posted by Szef View Post
                    Lol at you acting like I've just started taking shots at you, I've been doing that since I got here and saw a dumb ass post made by a dumb ass user, Righteous.

My whore mother didn't raise an emotional little ***** who gets her panties in a twist (and sometimes makes pathetic videos of herself drinking a bottle of JD just because somebody said she can't do that ) every time somebody hurt her feelings online so I guess she ain't that bad.
                    what an insufferable combination of equal parts dweeb and douche that kid is

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                      Those planets cannot support complex life.

They should be looking at star systems like 61 Virginis, HD 172051, 72 Herculis, and Beta Canum Venaticorum.
                      Implying you're smarter than all of NASA.

Comment

Working...
                      X