• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
    On purely heart how would you grade Canelo? I'd grade him C+
    why would you question his heart?

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
      That's a great point. But let me phrase it this way.

Shouldn't an A fighter, be able to adapt to all styles?

Maidana struggled with Alexander's jab jab turn and grab style so it showed he's a notch below elite. Lara struggled with Angulos rugged come forward style so he's a notch below elite. Canelo struggled with Lara's movement so it's the same issue.
      I would argue that he has adapted fine to different styles throughout his career. His performances against Angulo, Lara, Trout, Cotto were all vastly different. He adapted to his opponents style and found a way to win.

Just based off those examples Maidana was completely embarrased unlike the other two.We can also argue that Mayweather struggles against volume punchers. He was in two very close fights (Castillo, Maidana). Both of those were razor close victories. I guess it comes down to how you define adapting to a fighter, because both guys (Floyd,Canelo)made clear in fight strategic changes to change the course of the fight.

He wasn't dominant against Lara and that's what might keep from being an A-A+ level fighter. I say he's A- since he's not great at any particular area.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinamita 03 View Post
        I would argue that he has adapted fine to different styles throughout his career. His performances against Angulo, Lara, Trout, Cotto were all vastly different. He adapted to his opponents style and found a way to win.

Just based off those examples Maidana was completely embarrased unlike the other two.We can also argue that Mayweather struggles against volume punchers. He was in two very close fights (Castillo, Maidana). Both of those were razor close victories. I guess it comes down to how you define adapting to a fighter, because both guys (Floyd,Canelo)made clear in fight strategic changes to change the course of the fight.

He wasn't dominant against Lara and that's what might keep from being an A-A+ level fighter. I say he's A- since he's not great at any particular area.
        That's fair. B is a little harsh but I just think he's has too many disputed victories against less than A level opposition to be an A/A+ fighter. I can buy A-/B+ range. Ultimately he got the Ws and that's what matters at the end of the day.

Comment

Grading on a curve, somewhere between an A and and A-.

Comment

A-, he's an all-round elite fighter

Comment

That's fair. B is a little harsh but I just think he's has too many disputed victories against less than A level opposition to be an A/A+ fighter. I can buy A-/B+ range. Ultimately he got the Ws and that's what matters at the end of the day.
              its not harsh, you are correct. I was torn between b and b+. The guy fought one elite world class fighter and lost every round. He struggled against lara who in turn struggled against angulo and molina. He narrowly beat trout. These are all B level fighters. The version of cotto who canelo beat isnt a world class fighter, when you consider how widely trout beat him. I cant really see any basis to give him any thing above B+

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                its not harsh, you are correct. I was torn between b and b+. The guy fought one elite world class fighter and lost every round. He struggled against lara who in turn struggled against angulo and molina. He narrowly beat trout. These are all B level fighters. The version of cotto who canelo beat isnt a world class fighter, when you consider how widely trout beat him. I cant really see any basis to give him any thing above B+
                Well let's think here. Cotto is no less than a B. Trout and Canelo both dominated Cotto, or at a minimum won clear, indisputable decisions. Lara dominates Trout, slightly loses to Canelo. Canelo has a close fight with Trout but to me it was a clear, indisputable W.

I think your tier has to be

Lara/Canelo
                Trout
                Cotto

Now apply grades

Comment

Fair enough. Although the only truly disputed victory he had was against Lara. At the end of the day I think it has more to do with how wide most of the judging has been.

Comment

B+

He's improved over the last couple years. I still think his best years will be at 160.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
                      On purely heart how would you grade Canelo? I'd grade him C+
                      After demanding catch weights maybe, it's his handlers though and this is prize fighting. Besides GGG turned down the fight already, I question his heart and brains just as much now it's looking like Canelo will campaign above 160.

Comment

Working...
                      X