No announcement yet.

Roberto Duran: A Legend of Mythical Proportions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roberto Duran: A Legend of Mythical Proportions

Sometimes athletes transcend their respective sports and their personas evolve into legends of mythical proportions to the point to where fiction often overwhelms reality. The one fighter whose legend will continue to grow based on his amazing ring accomplishments is Roberto Duran. You’ve probably already heard the one about how Duran knocked out a horse and even though there may or may not be truth to that particular story there really is no need to embellish or revise history whenever Roberto

Duran is concerned because the Duran story is the stuff of legends.

Duran grew up in the poor section of Panama in a one bedroom house with seven brothers and sisters and turned professional at the age of 16 and quickly established himself as a fighter on the up and up with his punching power, speed, and relentless style.

In 1972, at the age of twenty one he won the World Lightweight title with a 13th round knock out over the respected Scotts man Ken Buchanan with a controversial stoppage victory that Buchanan vehemently claimed was the result of a low blow. That very same year Duran fought Puerto Rican great Esteban De Jesus in Madison Square Garden in a non-title bout and was knocked down in the first and dropped a ten round decision. [details]

I saw Roberto Duran in Vegas a few times. One day in the Sports Pavillion behind Ceasars Palace, I went in and he was wrapping up a training session. I was pretty close, maybe 20 feet from him.
    He glanced over at me, Thats when I really saw his eyes. My blood ran cold. They were coal black, I felt like I was looking at Satan himself.
    Although I was a big fan of his, his stare was very intimidating.
    I think it was before the Leonard fight. Another time my wife and I went into the pavillion, there were 2 guys sparring. No one else was in there, no trainers, no security..no one. We sat down and watched for a while. I couldn't tell who was sparring due to the headgear. After 3 or 4 rounds, the gear came off. It was Duran. At this point I became like a kid in a candy shop. I approached the ring and he came towards me. Now this was in the summer, and if any of you have ever been in the sports pavillion in june, it's damn hot. So that was my first comment to Duran..he said ..yes very very hot. after a few minutes of trying to make small talk with a guy who didnt speak very much english, some other people came in. Ray Arcel was one of them. My wife and I spoke briefly with him about Duran. Then a woman came in. Im not sure who she was, but they were all very nice, introducing us to each other. Roberto was also very nice. Quite a stark contrast to what I was used to seeing in the ring. Roberto Duran was the most friendly fighter I ever met. Larry Holmes and SRL were the most rude.

Comment

Originally posted by phxboxingfan
      I saw Roberto Duran in Vegas a few times. One day in the Sports Pavillion behind Ceasars Palace, I went in and he was wrapping up a training session. I was pretty close, maybe 20 feet from him.
      He glanced over at me, Thats when I really saw his eyes. My blood ran cold. They were coal black, I felt like I was looking at Satan himself.
      I think it was before the Leonard fight. Another time my wife and I went into the pavillion, there were 2 guys sparring. No one else was in there, no trainers, no security..no one. We sat down and watched for a while. I couldn't tell who was sparring due to the headgear. After 3 or 4 rounds, the gear came off. It was Duran. At this point I became like a kid in a candy shop. I approached the ring and he came towards me. Now this was in the summer, and if any of you have ever been in the sports pavillion in june, it's damn hot. So that was my first comment to Duran..he said ..yes very very hot. after a few minutes of trying to make small talk with a guy who didnt speak very much english, some other people came in. Ray Arcel was one of them. My wife and I spoke briefly with him about Duran. Then a woman came in. Im not sure who she was, but they were all very nice, introducing us to each other. Roberto was also very nice. Quite a stark contrast to what I was used to seeing in the ring. Roberto Duran was the most friendly fighter I ever met. Larry Holmes and SRL were the most rude.
      Great story. Even Leonard has commented here and there that Duran was a nice guy outside of boxing but mean when they were getting ready to fight.

About the Duran article awsome article, lots of great info. I aggree Duran is in the top 5 greatest fighters of all-time, its crazy how he was still competitive for so many years, their will probably be only one Roberto Duran as their has only been one Sugar Ray Robinson.

Im a fan of Danny Romero, it was cool that you mentioned him. I've seen the pictures and he does look fat, but if he can lose the weight it'd be a great battle with Marquez. Romero was a baddass, and he favorite fighter is Duran, and at time people would compare him to Duran at times when he was throwing bombs, they used to say he punchs threw his opponets. He was good fighter to keep a track of during his prime. I hope he can get back down in weight and make another run for the title.

Toney actually looks in good shape, the fight a still times away but i doubt he comes in fat. And though Peters got a ko, he looked sloopy in his ko victory. Im rooting for a Toney win. Toney will see those punchs coming from a mile away and i don't think Peters can fight an inside fight.

Comment

Originally posted by phxboxingfan
        Larry Holmes and SRL were the most rude?

what happened when you met them

Comment

Originally posted by NOFX
          Larry Holmes and SRL were the most rude?

what happened when you met them
          Holmes was working the speed bag, getting ready for the Shavers rematch. The top swivel was coming lose, one of his trainers reached up to tighten the swivel. The man was very old, Holmes shoved him back , and said get out of my way old man. That showed what an ******* he really is. All the ppl there were kinda mumbling after he did that. When I ran across SRL,
          I was watching Holmes sparring with Ernie Singletary: think that was his name...anyway, as I watched someone came up and stood next to me, it was SRL. When I saw who it was I said Hi champ
          how are you, he looked at me like I was some homeless bum looking for a hand out and walked away. Boy was I glad to watch Duran beat his ass after that.

Comment

Working...
          X