Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the light heavyweight division so overlooked?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the light heavyweight division so overlooked?

In the movie Southpaw the light heavyweight champion was made out to be a superstar. However I doubt most people can name the current champion/s without an internet search.

Middleweight seems to far outshine it. Let alone HW.

In the UFC the current light heavyweight champ is probably the biggest name in the sport not counting McGregor.

Why so little shine for LH?

The hell are you taking about? LHW has always been one of the most popular glamor divisions.

Unless you’re brand new to the sport, it may seem in shambles since Kovalev/Ward II with everything being vacated and no clear #1

And you can’t compare MMA and boxing weight classes. LHW in MMA is a heavyweight boxer.

Comment

The two best of the past 5+ years didn't fight eachother. Then Andre Ward moved up and owned a supposed 175lb killer, in shady circumstances both times. Kinda killed the momentum in the division. Should start picking up again soon with all the young, hungry beasts that have emerged in recent times. Would be a great candidate for a WBSS tournament.

Comment

It's one of the best divisions in boxing but doesn't have an American name to get America's attention.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Alvarez-Kovalev II. Win or lose for Kovalev, we need to see the Beterbiev fight next. If Alvarez wins, a unification against Gvozdyk would be the best fight to make in the division. No network hoops to jump through with any one of those fights either which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
          It's one of the best divisions in boxing but doesn't have an American name to get America's attention.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Alvarez-Kovalev II. Win or lose for Kovalev, we need to see the Beterbiev fight next. If Alvarez wins, a unification against Gvozdyk would be the best fight to make in the division. No network hoops to jump through with any one of those fights either which is nice.
          I agree with this. Added I think the Kov/Stevenson not happening and Stevenson not being able to fight in the US really hurt.

If Ward comes back and Zurdo moves up I think ESPN will give the division more attention. Badou Jack and Browne fighting will also add some attention to the division.

Comment

LHW has produced some of the biggest names. So the question is void.

Comment

I think light heavyweight is great now with 4 good champions. No tournament is needed. If champions fight champions a singe champion could be established in 3 fights if there are no draws. I think Bivol is the best of a very good bunch. heavyweights and middleweights have always received more attention than light heavyweights but that doesn't mean they have better fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                I agree with this. Added I think the Kov/Stevenson not happening and Stevenson not being able to fight in the US really hurt.

If Ward comes back and Zurdo moves up I think ESPN will give the division more attention. Badou Jack and Browne fighting will also add some attention to the division.
                Ward is never coming back. If he does and fights Bivol he will get outboxed, knocked out and go back into retirement. Barrera fought them both and look at the difference. Zurdo is a mediocre champ at 168 and will lose to all the top light heavyweights.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                  The hell are you taking about? LHW has always been one of the most popular glamor divisions.

Unless you’re brand new to the sport, it may seem in shambles since Kovalev/Ward II with everything being vacated and no clear #1

And you can’t compare MMA and boxing weight classes. LHW in MMA is a heavyweight boxer.
                  Historically, LHW has been as bad as CW. They're both transient divisions. Where are you getting your data from?

Have a look at the LHW ATG champs:
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_heavyweight

When Jones was a LHW look at his LHW opposition, total garbage. (Disclaimer: I am a RJJ fan)

McCallum (Old and fat JMW/MW)
                  Griffin (Griffin wasn't great and got lucky with Toney, rest of record is blegh)
                  Hill (Lost to everybody and theier mother. Tate/Del Valle best wins)
                  Del Valle (Never beat anybody, only known for being a sparring partner)
                  Grant (Bum)
                  Frazier (Bum)
                  Johnson (Bum)
                  Telesco (Bum)
                  Hall (Bum)
                  Harding (Bum...Audley Harrison Beta Version)
                  Harmon (Bum)
                  Gonzalez (Bum)
                  Kelly (Bum)
                  Woods (Bum)
                  Tarver (Lucky Punch B+Level cheater)
                  Johnson (Hopkins ran him out of 160, I love Glenn but he's a blegh)
                  Ajamu (Bum)
                  Hanshaw (Bum)

Lets leave RJJ's record and look at some of the names in LHW division.

Michalczewski never fought anybody, that's real. Ok he beat Hill and Griffin. Thats it. Nothing but bums from 1991-2005. That's a long time. If the division was hot, why didn't he get anybody?

Kovalev is a bum, always was. I saw and predicted his future (check my posts) after seeing him fight 2x. Easy call to be honest. Hyped up record full of blegh. Hopkins was a MW most of his career and only names at LHW were older fighters that can't make weight anymore. Can't call Pavlik or Calzaghe LHW's.

Dawson, ok he was a LHW most of his career. One for LHW.

Adamek, he fought a lot at LHW but against nobodies besides Dawson. After losing to Dawson he went right to CW then HW.
                  Last edited by McNulty; 01-16-2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                    Historically, LHW has been as bad as CW. They're both transient divisions. Where are you getting your data from?

Have a look at the LHW ATG champs:
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_heavyweight

When Jones was a LHW look at his LHW opposition, total garbage. (Disclaimer: I am a RJJ fan)

McCallum (Old and fat JMW/MW)
                    Griffin (Griffin wasn't great and got lucky with Toney, rest of record is blegh)
                    Hill (Lost to everybody and theier mother. Tate/Del Valle best wins)
                    Del Valle (Never beat anybody, only known for being a sparring partner)
                    Grant (Bum)
                    Frazier (Bum)
                    Johnson (Bum)
                    Telesco (Bum)
                    Hall (Bum)
                    Harding (Bum...Audley Harrison Beta Version)
                    Harmon (Bum)
                    Gonzalez (Bum)
                    Kelly (Bum)
                    Woods (Bum)
                    Tarver (Lucky Punch B+Level cheater)
                    Johnson (Hopkins ran him out of 160, I love Glenn but he's a blegh)
                    Ajamu (Bum)
                    Hanshaw (Bum)

Lets leave RJJ's record and look at some of the names in LHW division.

Michalczewski never fought anybody, that's real. Ok he beat Hill and Griffin. Thats it. Nothing but bums from 1991-2005. That's a long time. If the division was hot, why didn't he get anybody?

Kovalev is a bum, always was. I saw and predicted his future (check my posts) after seeing him fight 2x. Easy call to be honest. Hyped up record full of blegh. Hopkins was a MW most of his career and only names at LHW were older fighters that can't make weight anymore. Can't call Pavlik or Calzaghe LHW's.

Dawson, ok he was a LHW most of his career. One for LHW.

Adamek, he fought a lot at LHW but against nobodies besides Dawson. After losing to Dawson he went right to CW then HW.
                    You can do that with any division though, McNulty. There was even a thread a while back where you could name a fighter or division and someone would cherry pick to show how awful they were. Was a joke thread, but the point remains.

Middleweight has been historically great, but you can pick out a decade or two that it was weak. Very easy task for heavyweight also.

Comment

Working...
                    X