No announcement yet.

The Great Harry Greb rare footage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
    It was on that other site, we're not supposed to mention!
    The forum formerly known as esb? I think that the problem with them is not the forums Per se. Its all those stolen or madeup news.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      The forum formerly known as esb? I think that the problem with them is not the forums Per se. Its all those stolen or madeup news.
      Yes, that's the one.

I don't know about their news, as I only look in on their "Classic" section.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Like Bundana I only went to the classic section but haven't been there for a long time, I just went there to defend Darcy against Klomptons attacks on him. Didn't know that forum folded

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
          It's funny, because every time I see your name here, I can't help thinking of that EPIC feud between you and Klompton some years ago! One of the greatest threads ever; filled with an unbelievable amount of great historic information. But eventually the name-calling of course got so out of hand, that the entire thread was deleated (if I remember correctly?)... which was a crying shame!

By the way... Darcy was elected to the "BoxRec Forum Hall of Fame" back in 2008 (if you haven't seen my post about that).
          Did I go under the McGoorty name there mate ? I thought I was there under my real name.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
            Did I go under the McGoorty name there mate ? I thought I was there under my real name.
            I THINK you also used "McGoorty" there... but I'm not 100% sure. There were other Aussies posting in that thread, but for some reason I only recall your name. But it could be, that I saw you post about Darcy here (remember I called him a "borderline great" just to tease you?) and from that deduced, that you had to be the same guy, I had seen on Classic. Which, by the way, hasn't folded! It's still there, and still called Classic... though the site as such no longer is called ESB, but has a new name.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              Everyone is an author these days. I found the interview boring. Literally anyone can write a boxing book. If someone writes a book explaining quadratic reciprocity, you can be assured the author is an actual expert, because of the difficulty of the subject. But with boxing, as with so many subjects, it does not take an expert to blab away blithely.

Was Bert Sugar an expert? Not quite. But he wrote a lot of books full of misinformation and an interpretation of history one might as well call opinion. He is responsible for spreading the falsehood that the P4P designation was invented for Sugar Ray Robinson. With Robinson the designation stuck, but had been used plenty of times referring to others who came before Robinson.

I know nothing about this gentleman's writing syle, but in general it takes one or two pages to know if an author is worth my time. Reading books by average know-nothings is usually a bore. His story of how he came to write his book is not at all compelling but tedious. Norman Mailer or Saul Bellow would have made the answer to that question interesting. The fact that he could not I take as a harbinger of his writing. He does not sound like someone I want to settle down with. One could certainly plow through his tome and glean a few unknown facts, but I will let someone else do that work and tell me about it later.
              I think Sugar is misunderstood and it is his own fault because, he made the jump from scribe to author. When Norman Mailer wrote one of the best articles ever on Georgy poorgy Foreman for Playboy, before the Ali fight, nobody asked if it was "factual." Sugar comes at the sweet science as a reporter, an embellisher, an entertainer...not as a historian by any means.

I studied religion in graduate school and people thought it was so cool. I had to explain that looking and translating a Confucian Text and tracing the historical changes used in the characters, etc is dry. One time an Indian man, a materialist was to give a lecture on a school of Indian thinking that bears a lot of similarity to Cartesian thinking....the students had thought they would hear talk of gurus and spiritual things and were quite dissapointed when the stereotype was reduced (cartesian, reduced...pardon the pun) to human beings being little more than extensions of mass in space...with no spiritual qualities what so ever.

The point is Sugar knew his place...its just others who did not. His lists are wholly from the perspective of a man who was a fan, who loved to tell and hear fish tales, and who saw the fighters contectually through the prism of the media.

Comment

Here is a post from that "famous" thread and an example of why Klompton gained the ire of all Australian posters.... get this load of vomit............. """"""""" from Klompton :It makes sense doesnt it? If an entire landlocked country is populated by criminals, and those criminals bread with each other, and have little criminal babies, and those criminal babies bread and have more criminals, well, you do the math. You are, by virtue of your genes, an ignorant, lying piece of scum descended from criminals. Dont worry, I dont hold it against you. You cant help it. You were born to it. But, like your criminal forefathers when you want something you will lie, and cheat to get it. In this case you want the Darcy myth to be true so bad that you are lying in an effort to keep it true.

Comment

Here is a post from that "famous" thread and an example of why Klompton gained the ire of all Australian posters.... get this load of vomit............. """"""""" from Klompton :It makes sense doesnt it? If an entire landlocked country is populated by criminals, and those criminals bread with each other, and have little criminal babies, and those criminal babies bread and have more criminals, well, you do the math. You are, by virtue of your genes, an ignorant, lying piece of scum descended from criminals. Dont worry, I dont hold it against you. You cant help it. You were born to it. But, like your criminal forefathers when you want something you will lie, and cheat to get it. In this case you want the Darcy myth to be true so bad that you are lying in an effort to keep it true.
                  On second thoughts I won't buy that Greb book after all.............. rofl .................................................. .......... ................. This tripe was not directed at me, as I had not come into the discussion at this stage....... ed.

Comment

LOL... classic Klompton!

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      I think Sugar is misunderstood and it is his own fault because, he made the jump from scribe to author. When Norman Mailer wrote one of the best articles ever on Georgy poorgy Foreman for Playboy, before the Ali fight, nobody asked if it was "factual." Sugar comes at the sweet science as a reporter, an embellisher, an entertainer...not as a historian by any means.

I studied religion in graduate school and people thought it was so cool. I had to explain that looking and translating a Confucian Text and tracing the historical changes used in the characters, etc is dry. One time an Indian man, a materialist was to give a lecture on a school of Indian thinking that bears a lot of similarity to Cartesian thinking....the students had thought they would hear talk of gurus and spiritual things and were quite dissapointed when the stereotype was reduced (cartesian, reduced...pardon the pun) to human beings being little more than extensions of mass in space...with no spiritual qualities what so ever.

The point is Sugar knew his place...its just others who did not. His lists are wholly from the perspective of a man who was a fan, who loved to tell and hear fish tales, and who saw the fighters contectually through the prism of the media.
                      I think sugar was a bull****ter who distorted history for purposes of "entertainment." I cannot respect that at all, since he purported to be "reporting," on historical incidents. Reporter is a title which assumes some responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                      X