Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it a good idea to jab the crap outta someone as a southpaw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it a good idea to jab the crap outta someone as a southpaw?

Since they ahve more experience jabbing and an orthodox fighter doesnt? 9in mirrored stance)

Or is it asking for a straight right counter or even a left hook counter?

Ive heard one of the most annoying difficult things in teh ring is a southpaw with a good jab that uses it almost exclusively

Because he can always out point you with it and if you take risks to get to him you suffer teh counters

Yes if your jab is as awesome as Floyd's jab, then yes you can probably win a fight just using the jab alone.

Comment

Originally posted by KoChef View Post
      Yes if your jab is as awesome as Floyd's jab, then yes you can probably win a fight just using the jab alone.
      Are you saying it will only work if you have a significant skill advantage?

I guess its way too complex to narrow down but generally is this a good tactic to win on points?

Comment

You're talking about how to counter the south paws jabs? Here it is..... The instant you see him shooting out his jab for your face, step in and to your left while ducking out of the way. And you had started your right hand with everything else so he just walked straight in to it. Dig one to the body and walk from the exchange at your leisure. They'll eat something nearly every time.

Watch the last Pac/Marquez fight. It was perfect.
        Last edited by Rockin'; 10-20-2016, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
          Are you saying it will only work if you have a significant skill advantage?

I guess its way too complex to narrow down but generally is this a good tactic to win on points?
          I think it can be done if you're quick and sharp, especially if you have a reach advantage.

Also If you can control your opponent with your jab this will make your opponent look bad in front of the judges.

But of course you wouldnt just rely on the jab alone unless you have a problem with your other hand.

One other thing I wouldnt double up either too often, your opponent might just take advantage of your habits

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            You're talking about how to counter the south paws jabs? Here it is..... The instant you see him shooting out his jab for your face, step in and to your left while ducking out of the way. And you had started your right hand with everything else so he just walked straight in to it. Dig one to the body and walk from the exchange at your leisure. They'll eat something nearly every time.

Watch the last Pac/Marquez fight. It was perfect.

no i am wondering if as a southpaw i can get away with jabbing an orthodox fighter to hell, ive been heard its a good idea, but i rarely see wouthpaws jab, when they do its very light fast and tentitive or x2ed up to land teh cross, or they have a massive reach advantage

I rarely see the jab used in the same way an orthodox jab is used vs orthodox just with the southpaw angles

Comment

Since they ahve more experience jabbing and an orthodox fighter doesnt? 9in mirrored stance)

Or is it asking for a straight right counter or even a left hook counter?

Ive heard one of the most annoying difficult things in teh ring is a southpaw with a good jab that uses it almost exclusively

Because he can always out point you with it and if you take risks to get to him you suffer teh counters
              depends on the height and reach of the southpaw...tall ones I'll counter their jab with rights to the body and left hooks

a shorter south paw you can parry and counter jab......hook off the jab when their lead hand is out of position

southpaws arent used to being outjabbed by righties for counter their jab with lab to the body or left hook

Comment

no i am wondering if as a southpaw i can get away with jabbing an orthodox fighter to hell, ive been heard its a good idea, but i rarely see wouthpaws jab, when they do its very light fast and tentitive or x2ed up to land teh cross, or they have a massive reach advantage

I rarely see the jab used in the same way an orthodox jab is used vs orthodox just with the southpaw angles
                having a great jab is quite useful no matter what your stance is.

if you are a southpaw, a right hook is a great punch to have in your arsenal as a southpaw. a lead right hook from the southpaw stancce you can use it as a more damaging replacement for a jab and use it as a great set up for your off hand:

ex
                (lead right hook to the head followed by a straight left to the body. you can even augment that combo with a defensive weave + check right hook as you back up and finish the two piece and turn it into a 3piece combo....)

when you throw hooks, it requires a greater sense of defensive attention than a jab.

Comment

Winky Wright says yes.

Comment

If one of your punches lands a lot, why not continue using it

What helps me land my southpaw jab is to knock the orthy's lead out the way.

I'll push their lead down. This puts my lead hand on top and creates an opening for my right jab.

Comment

Working...
                    X