Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cámara de Representante federal lista para votar proyecto sobre estatus de la isla

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cámara de Representante federal lista para votar proyecto sobre estatus de la isla

jueves, 29 de abril de 2010
    Actualizado hace 51 minutos
    (creado 01:56 p.m.)
    Inter News Service

http://www.primerahora.com/diario/no...la_isla/384228

La Cámara de Representantes de Estados Unidos se dispone a votar hoy sobre el proyecto H.R. 2499, la Ley de Democracia de Puerto Rico, una medida plebiscitaria sobre el estatus de la isla.

"Durante los 112 años que Puerto Rico ha sido territorio de los Estados Unidos, la pregunta sobre nuestro estatus político con nuestra Nación ha sido persistente", dijo Fortuño.

"La Ley de la Democracia de Puerto Rico consultaría al pueblo puertorriqueño sobre cuál estatus político desea, mediante un proceso imparcial, neutral y democrático, auspiciado por el Congreso”, expresó.

"Hoy termina la larga era de inacción congresional sobre el tema del estatus. Estoy convencido que con el respaldo sólido, decisivo y significativamente bipartito de la Cámara de Representantes federal, comienza una nueva era y el curso de acción que habrá de culminar con el encuentro de Puerto Rico, con el destino político que nos corresponde como ciudadanos americanos", sostuvo.

En virtud de H.R. 2499, el gobierno de Puerto Rico podría realizar plebiscitos pidiendo a los electores si desean mantener o cambiar el actual estatus político de la isla. Si una mayoría de los electores quiere un cambio, podría celebrarse un plebiscito para pedir su preferencia entre las otras tres opciones constitucionalmente válidas: independencia, soberanía nacional en asociación con los Estados Unidos y estadidad.

El H.R. 2499 está coauspiciado por un grupo bipartidista de 180 miembros del Congreso. El proyecto de ley es no obligatorio, por lo que un resultado a favor de cualquier cambio de estatus específico estaría sujeto a la consideración del Congreso.

"Una premisa esencial del proyecto de ley es que el Congreso estaría en mejor posición de decidir qué acción, si alguna, es apropiada sobre el tema una vez se sepa si los puertorriqueños desean continuar con el estatus actual, o cambiar a una de las posibles alternativas", manifestó Fortuño.

Espero que la Cámara de Representantes de los Estados Unidos apruebe esta legislación y ayude a traer la verdadera libre determinación para los ciudadanos estadounidenses de Puerto Rico”, expresó el Primer Ejecutivo.

Puerto Rico ha sido un territorio por 112 años, y sus residentes han sido ciudadanos estadounidenses desde 1917. Con casi cuatro millones de residentes, en términos de población Puerto Rico es más grande que Oregón y ligeramente más pequeño que Kentucky.

say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Comment

The House approved

Comment

Judging from your thumbs down, lets face it brother, we are not ready to become a republic, PRs have been fed too long to drop all the aids and go to work for a living, it would take generations for us to have a decent chance to prosper. Its looking like in afew yrs Cuba will come out of their shell. You know how bad our tourism will be affected which is our main revenue at this point? Its bad enough to compete with DR. PRs economy and everything else is devastated, education, transportation, health and crime are fuked up, we need help and in a hurry!

Comment

Originally posted by Tu Pai View Post
          Judging from your thumbs down, lets face it brother, we are not ready to become a republic, PRs have been fed too long to drop all the aids and go to work for a living, it would take generations for us to have a decent chance to prosper. Its looking like in afew yrs Cuba will come out of their shell. You know how bad our tourism will be affected which is our main revenue at this point? Its bad enough to compete with DR. PRs economy and everything else is devastated, education, transportation, health and crime are fuked up, we need help and in a hurry!
          You have some damn good points. What I didn't like about this bill is that it was bais towards statehood when really only about half of the people in PR are for it. Since I posted this, there was a 4th option added to the second half of the vote to keep the status quo. Before, the first part would have you vote whether or not you thought PR should change the political status. Of course those for statehood and independence would vote yes. So of course you're going to have more yes' then no's. The second vote was between 1)Statehood 2) Independence 3) Association Between Sovereign Nations. Those who voted No (The ones who want to stay a commonwealth) on the first half of the bill are now forced to choose between Statehood and Independence. Even if you split those people up half and half, Statehood would win. I hope that wasn't too confusing lol. But do you get what I mean? I just think everyone should have a fair voice. Again, the bill has been modified since, so now it's fair and up to us.
          Last edited by El Protagonista; 04-30-2010, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El Protagonista View Post
            You have some damn good points. What I didn't like about this bill is that it was bais towards statehood when really only about half of the people in PR are for it. Since I posted this, there was a 4th option added to the second half of the vote to keep the status quo. Before, the first part would have you vote whether or not you thought PR should change the political status. Of course those for statehood and independence would vote yes. So of course you're going to have more yes' then no's. The second vote was between 1)Statehood 2) Independence 3) Association Between Sovereign Nations. Those who voted No (The ones who want to stay a commonwealth) on the first half of the bill are now forced to choose between Statehood and Independence. Even if you split those people up half and half, Statehood would win. I hope that wasn't too confusing lol. But do you get what I mean? I just think everyone should have a fair voice. Again, the bill has been modified since, so now it's fair and up to us.
            I got you bro

Comment

Working...
            X