Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruslan Chagaev's greatest achievement (according to Tunney) shouldnt even be counted.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruslan Chagaev's greatest achievement (according to Tunney) shouldnt even be counted.

Originally posted by ~Tunney View Post
    In Belfast 2001 Ruslan Chagaev won Gold at super heavyweight.

The same year at heavyweight David Haye was stopped by Felix Savon.

Chagaev succeeded where Haye failed.

21st August 1997 - Chagaev takes part in his FIRST professional bout.
    3rd September 1997 - Chagaev takes part in his SECOND professional bout.

Thats funny, how did he compete at Amateur AFTER he had turned pro?

Wiki
    "Chagaev, a two-time world amateur champion, defeated legendary Cuban boxer Félix Savón to capture the gold medal at the 1997 World Championships but was then stripped of his crown for having two professional fights prior to the championships. Chagaev was reinstated as an amateur the following year when the fights were declared exhibitions."

Exhibitions????

Then why were they scored?

And why do they count towards Chagaevs Professional record?

One of Chagaev's greatest achievements is a fix, he should be stripped.

lmao, chagaev is getting a thorough beat down on saturday

Comment

This thread went quiet.

Tunney is actually lost for words, the loud mouthed Klit-Nut hugging pissflap

Chagaev is a cheater and should have his gold medal STRIPPED.

Comment

I am here, Joe. I stand firmly by almost anything you may say.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Jordan View Post
          I am here, Joe. I stand firmly by almost anything you may say.
          What happened to Tek My Pounches?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatJoe View Post
            What happened to Tek My Pounches?
            He died in a tragic accident last night. A shame, he was actually a handsome and stunningly intelligent man, but I am here now. Me -- Michael.

Comment

21st August 1997 - Chagaev takes part in his FIRST professional bout.
              3rd September 1997 - Chagaev takes part in his SECOND professional bout.

Thats funny, how did he compete at Amateur AFTER he had turned pro?

Wiki
              "Chagaev, a two-time world amateur champion, defeated legendary Cuban boxer Félix Savón to capture the gold medal at the 1997 World Championships but was then stripped of his crown for having two professional fights prior to the championships. Chagaev was reinstated as an amateur the following year when the fights were declared exhibitions."

Exhibitions????

Then why were they scored?

And why do they count towards Chagaevs Professional record?

One of Chagaev's greatest achievements is a fix, he should be stripped.
              They don't count towards his pro record. Still, beating Felix Savon is a great achievement. It's like when Mosley and Forrest fought in the pro's, their amateur background was brought up because in the ams Forrest had beaten Mosley and knocked him down for the only time (though it was not scored as a KD). It was a great achievement and so it got brought up in the pros as well. It's simply showing that he's got some skills.

If you're a great amateur, you're going to be a good pro at the least.

I remember another similar thing. Jeff Fenech when he was 13-0, was scheduled to fight 11-0 contender Steve McCrory and it was considered a huge fight because Fenech had won a title really early and McCrory had been a major player in the amateurs, in fact he had ben one of the most touted amateurs in years having won gold at the olympics as well as a bunch of national championships etc.

So, having a great amateur pedigree is a big achievement and if you have been a great amateur fighter, that alone says you will be a hard fight for anyone in the pro's. Just look at Rigondeoux.

Comment

This thread went quiet.

Tunney is actually lost for words, the loud mouthed Klit-Nut hugging pissflap

Chagaev is a cheater and should have his gold medal STRIPPED.
                Would it really matter?

Hey, there's that guy who doesn't have a gold medal, but did all the things necessary to get a gold medal...

Is that any less impressive?

I do think being able to declare your fights as exhibitions and go back to the ams is complete bull**** though.

Comment

All controversy aside, who did Chagaev fight in his first two pro bouts and what were the results?...

Comment

Working...
                  X