No announcement yet.

CA Commission passes new weight cutting rules + new weight divisions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Commission passes new weight cutting rules + new weight divisions

This is good news overall, although I must admit I'm not super keen on more weight divisions.

CA is looking to have these new rules in place before UFC 214 which is in Anaheim on July 29 that's being headlined by Jones vs Cormier II.

No clue how this transfers if at all to MMA in general or with other commissions, but supposedly the UFC, Bellator & other MMA leagues supported this change.

The new weight division landscape:

115 (women only)
    170 (they aren't dropping 170 for some reason)

The biggest change is there 10 point plan with weight cutting stuff that I think is great for combat sports in general, but I think this is only being aimed at MMA currently.

1) Requesting MMA fighters to select the lowest weight class in which to compete, and asking questions about weight cutting and dehydration to take into consideration prior to approving fights. The listed division must be declared safe by a physician on a licensee’s paperwork.

2) A contestant who fails to make weight is fined 20 percent of his or her show money, with 10 percent going to the commission and 10 percent going to the opponent, in addition to a 20 fine of the contestant’s win bonus, with all of the money going to the opponent.

3) Four additional weight classes – 165, 175, 195 and 205 pounds – to give athletes more choice.

4) Policy changes to the way matches are approved with an emphasis on appropriate weight class.

5) Weight class restrictions for fighters who miss weight more than once. Those fighters may be required to compete in a higher weight class until a physician certifies it’s appropriate and the commission approves.

6) Continued early weigh-in procedure to allow fighters the maximum amount of time to rehydrate.

7) A second weight check on the day of the event to ensure fighters haven’t gained back more than 10 percent of their body weight. Fighters who gain excessive weight may be asked to move to a higher weight class.

8) Checks for dehydration by specific urine gravity and/or a physical by CSAC physicians.

9) A recommendation of a 30-day and 10-day weight check for “high level title fights,” similar to those done by the WBC in boxing matches.

10) Examination and education for matchmakers, promoters, trainers and athletes on offering, accepting and contracting bouts.
    http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/nr...oduced-in-mma/

If 205 is light heavy and 265 is heavy, then what is 225? Cruiserweight? The only weight class the major promotions would be missing now is atom weight, which Invicta uses, which is 105, like straw weight in boxing. I know there isn't much interest here with the smaller guys, but the smaller women seem to do well so far, so I wouldn't mind seeing the lowest weight class for women added to the major orgs someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      If 205 is light heavy and 265 is heavy, then what is 225? Cruiserweight? The only weight class the major promotions would be missing now is atom weight, which Invicta uses, which is 105, like straw weight in boxing. I know there isn't much interest here with the smaller guys, but the smaller women seem to do well so far, so I wouldn't mind seeing the lowest weight class for women added to the major orgs someday.
      Yea I assume cruiserweight.

And agreed with an atomweight division. I'd have preferred them skip the 145lb division since its a one fighter division & just go with 125 & 105. They are trying to sell sexy & I don't think there is more sexy girls than 105.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

The new weight division landscape:

115 (women only)
        170 (they aren't dropping 170 for some reason)

I like the idea of weight division and weight cutting reform.

Some of these ideas look great, even though I'm not a fan of adding more weight classes.

I like the additional 165 and 175 lb. divisions, but 170 should be dropped if those divisions are added.

I don't like the 225 lb. division. Because most fighters from the 225-235 range already cut to 205. Stipe is only 240, which means cutting to 225 wouldn't be hard. Guys like Cain, JDS, Werdum and Overeem could all fight at 225.

265 would just be the division for slow, fat, clumsy heavyweights.

But realistically, all those guys I mentioned would stay at 265, only the guys who can't win the 205 or 265 title will try and fight at 225 creating another watered down division.

And 195 would also be a watered down division, sandwiched between 185 and 205.

It's a lot easier for bigger guys to cut weight than the small fighters.

I would prefer something like this:

165 (New Welterweight)
        175 (Light Middleweight)
        190 (New middleweight)
        210 (New light heavyweight)

Revised weight classes with only one added weight class (175 Light Middleweight)

Comment

this is ******ed. if a fighter has a hard time making weight, then just move up. fighters don't lose because of size, they lose because of skill.

the only way size plays a big factor is if a 125lber fights a 170lber. But if a fighter has to move up 1 weight class, they will only lose because of skill and not size. Just look at the HW division. It's being ruled by small HWs. Miocic 240, JDS 245, Cain 240. There are HWs that come into a fight 280lbs yet they can't even make the top 10.

Skill is still the dominant factor in every fight. Adding more weight classes will dilute the championship status and destroy mma.

Comment

Nah, I don't think it will. Now if they get to the point where there's 3 or 4 f***in belts in every weight class, I could see that ruining the sport, as it has done with boxing. And at least it's 10 pounds between weight classes and not 3-5, like boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post
              this is ******ed. if a fighter has a hard time making weight, then just move up.
              Thats what these new rules are forcing on fighters. I think overall this is a great change for the sport within the sport of weight cutting thats being abused in MMA & boxing.

Don't love the added weight divisions & in particular keeping 170 if we are adding 165 & 175 cuz that just seems sorta dumb. My assumption is they are keeping 170 to secure title belts for current 170lb champions until these sorta rules & weight divisions are adopted by more commissions. But overall these rules are a positive change that will curb & punish more weight loss bs.

Comment

Or they could just do same day weigh ins, like the old days of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Or they could just do same day weigh ins, like the old days of boxing.
                  You'd still get cats cutting too much weight.

I personally feel like the whole walking around weight vs fighting weight thing is the #1 problem with this weight bs. I've talked about this many times before, but I think they should cut all the bs with weight entirely in the lead in to a fight. There should be a process in place to assign a healthy walking around weight for any person waiting to get a boxing license. Then as long as you weigh in that range & someone else is in their range before the fight & the two ranges aren't too far apart then those two guys fight at their healthy walking around weight.

If its deemed you have grown or shrink you can be moved into a new healthy walking around weight range. Kills all the sport within a sport bs with weight cutting & insures boxing is a safer sport cuz guys aren't taking shots to the head why dehydrated or feeling other negative side effects with trying to get to your lowest weight that people will always try to do unless you take that play outta the playbook.

Comment

Good points. Or have more weigh ins before a fight and have a rule that states that a fighter can't cut or regain more than say, 10 pounds before weighing in and the day of the fight. At least then you won't have guys 15-20 pounds heavier than their weight class when they go into a fight. Also be good for a fighter's health.

Comment

Working...
                    X