Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was up with the HBO commentary for the Kovalev fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was up with the HBO commentary for the Kovalev fight?

It was odd they were really criticizing Kovalev and hyping up Bivol at the same time. Bivol had a great performance but it felt weird how they automatically forcing Kov on him especially in the post fight interview with Max.

Kov did looked a bit sluggish but he beat the **** out of his opponent. His face was a mess and good thing it got stopped because we didn't need another situation that happened when Kov killed the guy because the ref didn't stop the fight.

Do they see Kov as washed up and old? They might be seeing the younger Bivol as a new star and hoping he beats Kov.

"Make the commies Beat each other up" - HBO

Comment

Hbo is banking on Bivol to be their next thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
        It was odd they were really criticizing Kovalev and hyping up Bivol at the same time. Bivol had a great performance but it felt weird how they automatically forcing Kov on him especially in the post fight interview with Max.

Kov did looked a bit sluggish but he beat the **** out of his opponent. His face was a mess and good thing it got stopped because we didn't need another situation that happened when Kov killed the guy because the ref didn't stop the fight.

Do they see Kov as washed up and old? They might be seeing the younger Bivol as a new star and hoping he beats Kov.
        Sergey Kovalev figures he's known Igor Mikhalkin since he was about 17, back when they were amateur teammates in Russia.

I think Sergey was a bit apprehensive about beating an old friend.

Comment

It was pretty bad from what I tuned in to. Yeah Kov seemed to be a bit off but Mikhalkin was a tricky and awkward guy. Hearing them say what if Bivol was in there, what would happen. Well it could be a completely different fight first of all. Two totally different fighters. Bivol seems to be the goods but goddamn, HBO has gotten too bad lately.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post

HBO have been degrading Kov for years now. First they tried underplaying his win over Ward, even though they themselves scored it for him, then when the rematch was made, they changed stance completely and created the story that "Ward came back in the second half of the fight"....the talking heads on the doc were particularly pathetic, considering they never said that during the fight lol

So they are obviously thinking they can book KOv in to win again but I'd be surprised if KOv is that far gone and Bivol is that ready.

Comment

Kellerman is c@ck-drunk over Ward. Kovalev is not going to the future of the network. They'll use his name to build opponents such as Bivol, Beterbiev, and Gvozdyk.

Did I hear Kovalev say he wanted Jack after the Stevenson fight? That would be a good scrap if they can get it made, but Jack fights under PBC/SHO. I could see Kovalev jumping ship.

Comment

Working...
              X