Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The days of total American boxing domination are over with!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
    Why are you singling out America? Are you from Mexico? What does YOUR country dominate? America still is home to some of the best fighters in the world. Canelo won’t even fight in Mexico he’s basically American. America does dominate boxing you named 4 boxers from three different locations. Crawford Garcia Andrade Prograis Spence Thurman Wilder Charlo Jacobs Hurd.
    All American champions and p4p is subjective not many people have Inoue in there top 5. Canelo was dominate by an small old American
    Good point. The USA may not totally dominated boxing but we sure as hell have not run out of good fighters. We probably have more champions and top 5 contenders than any two counties combined.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      I don't believe the NFL and NBA drained our country of boxing talent. Boxing is a very different sport and a great ball player probably would not have been a great boxer if he had decided to be a boxer instead. Not one single American heavyweight boxing champion in history would have been good enough at football or basketball to play pro ball. Every great basketball and football player who went into boxing failed to make the top. What kind of football or basketball player would short armed Marciano have made at 5 foot 10 and 184 pounds. How about Ali who ran the 100 yard dash in a slow 13 seconds.
      Boxing is so different with such different skills required.
      The only football player I remember of recent was Seth Mitchell. He lost one fight and quit lol I wonder what happened to that dude. In my opinion America still dominates boxing who has more champions than America? Crawford is higher than Canelo on many p4p lists

Comment

I don't believe the NFL and NBA drained our country of boxing talent.
        So where did all our boxing talent go?

We used to have boxing gyms everywhere to meet the demand from thousands of registered pro boxers.

Our best heavyweight these days is the limited Deontay Wilder, who played football and basketball before switching over.

Comment

Originally posted by El Ondeado View Post
          1. The USA has the suppose best athletes cause they have the money to develop the talent that’s something 3rd world countries don’t have! Just look at poor China in the 1980s they sucked at the Olympics but now that they have money to develop athletes talent they are #1 2008-now in Olympic medals in less than 50 years. Now imagine if Latin America & Asia & Africa had that money too develop that sport talent!

2. Basketball is not even a top 5 international sports so that’s that! Soccer, Boxing, > Basketball

3. American football is too long and boring and too many damn commercials!
          1) the Chinese government pays athletes to compete in sports that have such small participation. They hunt for metals. No one in their right mind believes Chinese athletes are on the US level.

2) I’ve lived in both Mexico briefly and the US. I’ve traveled extensively. No the average US person is more athletic the average Mexican. That isn’t to say their aren’t great athletes in Mexico. Brazil has some pretty great athletes.

3) basketball is a global sports. Played in SA, Europe, NA and Asia. All you need to look at are NBA rosters. Yes sports like Cricket and Field Hockey have more fans and that is due to huge concentration of populations in Asia.

4) football isn’t for everyone especially those who didn’t grow up with it. Speed, power, violence, strategy, skill. Great sport. I like all kinds of sports even those not that popular as popular in the US. I think people who talk bad about football outside the US are generally just pretty ignorant.

Comment

Good point. The USA may not totally dominated boxing but we sure as hell have not run out of good fighters. We probably have more champions and top 5 contenders than any two counties combined.
            This is true. Even when we aren’t as a county in love with the sport as we use to be we still are at the top as a country.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              So where did all our boxing talent go?

We used to have boxing gyms everywhere to meet the demand from thousands of registered pro boxers.

Our best heavyweight these days is the limited Deontay Wilder, who played football and basketball before switching over.
              Football I’d say first followed by basketball. Those are the sports kids play that would be the most likely to box.

Boxing and basketball have suffered the most.

I’d also just say boxing has suffered because kids would rather go F off rather than put in the crazy hard work that goes into boxing.

Comment

It's true but it's actually a shame for boxing that the US hasn't had a really great fighter come through for a while.

Well Crawford and Spence are actually great but I mean a guy like SRL, Tyson, you know someone who crosses over and makes it huge. The sport needs America to step up actually

Comment

Originally posted by El Ondeado View Post
                  Americans need to understand boxing is a international sport and not a american sport that only they play & dominate like american football & basketball!
                  I'm not aware of any Americans that don't understand boxing is an international sport. Pretty silly thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                    The rest of the world can say that about the lower weight divisions. All their best athletes are playing soccer, while Americans aren't.
                    US average US pro athlete are bigger, stronger, faster and can jump higher than Euro athletes.

The average athletes in Europe, Asia, Africa and SA as a whole are just not better than the average US athletes by traditional measurements of athleticism.

I saw in the World Cup Mbappe on another level in speed than others. Obviously he had skill but his you could see physically his superior athleticism. If US was actually a soccer county you’d see many Mbappe’s.

Comment

Well tell us something that we don't already know. Boxing has been declining in the states since the year 2000.

Therefore, it is no longer a mainstream sport in American anymore. That's why I am more than a little surprise why DAZN and Eddie Hearn wants to set up shop here to invest billions of dollars into this industry.

There is just no longer a demand or a market for boxing outside of its hardcore circle of fans. The sport in the states is on life support.

Comment

Working...
                      X