Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday showed what a difference it can make when you are NOT dictating the pace

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday showed what a difference it can make when you are NOT dictating the pace

Golovkin was blowing early because he is not used to fighting under duress. I bet that never happens to him, even in the gym against bigger guys. He fights at a high pace, but he is always the one dictating.

From the outside Canelo's strategy could have been naive and looked suicidal, but he pulled it off, he was like a little Mexican James Toney in there at times, whether you thought he won, lost, or drew it was a great performance, and the body shots took a toll. Golovkin was def pushed into an uncomfortable zone, so fair play to GGG for sticking in there and showing versatility.

GGG gave the outward appearance of being fatigued but he actually maintained his output better than Canelo did down the stretch, in terms of both quantity and quality (all of the snap on Canelo's punches suddenly vanished around round 10)

Comment

Yes and no. Golovkin always breathes deep like he's tired, but he stays consistent. And usually comes on while the other guy starts to fade towards the end. It's gotta be a method to him preserving energy; just getting in as much air as he possibly can.

Comment

Canelo going forward stopped GGG from getting a head of steam like he loves to and took that aggression away from him..You really want to smother a puncher if you can

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
          GGG gave the outward appearance of being fatigued but he actually maintained his output better than Canelo did down the stretch, in terms of both quantity and quality (all of the snap on Canelo's punches suddenly vanished around round 10)
          Haha is this outward appearance like when he used to get hit on purpose?

Dude he was fatigued, he was breathing heavy from the half way point, and more than we have ever seen him, you have to give credit to Canelo for the mental and physical pressure he exerted on him, ggg was throwing out of necessity rather than at his own pace. The pace was being forced on him, key difference.

Yes Canelo was also fatigued, from 8 on they took turns looking more tired, and for sure both guys lost a lot of snap as the fight wore on, Canelo being the less heavy handed, it showed more. He also has a worse engine, that is not in dispute.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            Haha is this outward appearance like when he used to get hit on purpose?

Dude he was fatigued, he was breathing heavy from the half way point, and more than we have ever seen him, you have to give credit to Canelo for the mental and physical pressure he exerted on him, ggg was throwing out of necessity rather than at his own pace. The pace was being forced on him, key difference.

Yes Canelo was also fatigued, from 8 on they took turns looking more tired, and for sure both guys lost a lot of snap as the fight wore on, Canelo being the less heavy handed, it showed more. He also has a worse engine, that is not in dispute.
            I'm just saying "looking tired" isn't a scoring criterion. Yes, he was breathing heavily and looked a bit ragged, but that literally doesn't matter if his output stays more consistent and his punching crisper than that of his opponent. Canelo fought a brilliant fight, but he didn't successfully wear Golovkin down since Golovkin finished the stronger of the two

Comment

Originally posted by SCEN3RY View Post
              Yes and no. Golovkin always breathes deep like he's tired, but he stays consistent. And usually comes on while the other guy starts to fade towards the end. It's gotta be a method to him preserving energy; just getting in as much air as he possibly can.
              I don't mean those deep breaths he takes, I mean his mouth was open, and as the fight wore on he looked tired in his actions as well. he looked visibly distressed in the corner, look at the corner shots from the 1st fight as a comparison. Canelo took him into deeper waters than he's been before, he didn't drown, he showed that he is a true champion, but for sure it was not a comfortable style of fight for him

Comment

I thought GGG looked winded and tired but I also thought he fought back well in the late rounds. It was clear he wasn't used to someone fighting him like that and took him a while to figure out how to best work against how Canelo was fighting.

Comment

How come it didnt in the first fight?

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                    I'm just saying "looking tired" isn't a scoring criterion. Yes, he was breathing heavily and looked a bit ragged, but that literally doesn't matter if his output stays more consistent and his punching crisper than that of his opponent. Canelo fought a brilliant fight, but he didn't successfully wear Golovkin down since Golovkin finished the stronger of the two
                    He had a good 10 and 11, but I thought Golovkin tried to coast in the last round after the cameo in the first 30 seconds, so I somewhat disagree there. Even Sanchez eluded to this.

Any note I wasn't debating the scoring in this thread, there are enough of those. Was talking about boxing, and what a psychological difference it can make when you are not dictating the pace, he didn't look comfortable in there at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X