Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 10-31-2020, 03:44 PM #31
Interim Champion

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Willie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 26,898.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
Everyone knew he would slaughter Miske as well, but he fought him twice. Everyone knew he'd beat Brennan, but he fought him twice. Hell, he fought little Willie Meehan 4 times I believe. Why fight them and not the best available contender?
IMHO

Miske was a friend and the second fight was a payday for an ailing friend. --- Why is Billy Miske in the HOF if he was such a bum?

Also if you look closer you will see that Dempsey's run to the championship fight was a series of KOs, (see Tyson) that is except for one strange fight that stands out, a 10 round NWS decision with Billy Miske (Ist fight). Dempsey didn't want to pound on his friend, so he spared with him.

Dempsey, so the story goes, then took Miske out early in the second fight because he didn't want to brutalize Miske, he was at the time ailing.

Check out Dempsey's run to the title starting with Homer Smith in January of 1918. It is one of the most outstanding runs fort he title in the history of the game.

And yes Willie Meehan was Dempsey's nemesis, in almost a comical way. I often wonder what the back story was to those fights because they do not fit into the history correctly.

I know I sound like a broken record but here it is again: you can't apply the standards of the NFL or the NBA and all that goes with that to prize fighting. It is an animal unto itself and there is almost always something more going on than just who deserves this or who deserves that. It is not league play and fairness isn't important, it's always about the money.

Brennan was considered to be a top challenger and a fan favorite who could draw a crowd, also he has quite a resume to his record. At one point (1922) Kearns was looking for a third fight with Brennan out in Michigan because people were calling for a rematch of the '20 fight.

I guess what I am arguing is that you can't rate fighters from different generations against each other, and in some cases you can't even rate fighters from the same generation who didn't fight each other because the circumstances weren't right. (See Garziano and LaMotta)

Posters on this forum overuse the word 'duck' and think there is all this Machiavellian conspiracy going on to the timing of fights. (See Mayweather Jr.) They don't look deep enough into the circumstances surrounding the fighters' careers. Follow the money, it's almost always the correct answer as to why/what happened.

P.S. Who was the 'best possible contender' other than Wills? We all know the circumstances behind that situation.
Willie Pep 229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:22 PM #32
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 1919 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 54,435.03
Total Points: 64,152.46
To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler 
To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner 
For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr 
Thanks for your continued friendship & for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST Thanks for the tip. - Big Dunn Apologies for any misunderstanding.  Cheers. - HAMMER77777 Merry Christmas - TBear 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
IMHO

Miske was a friend and the second fight was a payday for an ailing friend. --- Why is Billy Miske in the HOF if he was such a bum?

Also if you look closer you will see that Dempsey's run to the championship fight was a series of KOs, (see Tyson) that is except for one strange fight that stands out, a 10 round NWS decision with Billy Miske (Ist fight). Dempsey didn't want to pound on his friend, so he spared with him.

Dempsey, so the story goes, then took Miske out early in the second fight because he didn't want to brutalize Miske, he was at the time ailing.

Check out Dempsey's run to the title starting with Homer Smith in January of 1918. It is one of the most outstanding runs fort he title in the history of the game.

And yes Willie Meehan was Dempsey's nemesis, in almost a comical way. I often wonder what the back story was to those fights because they do not fit into the history correctly.

I know I sound like a broken record but here it is again: you can't apply the standards of the NFL or the NBA and all that goes with that to prize fighting. It is an animal unto itself and there is almost always something more going on than just who deserves this or who deserves that. It is not league play and fairness isn't important, it's always about the money.

Brennan was considered to be a top challenger and a fan favorite who could draw a crowd, also he has quite a resume to his record. At one point (1922) Kearns was looking for a third fight with Brennan out in Michigan because people were calling for a rematch of the '20 fight.

I guess what I am arguing is that you can't rate fighters from different generations against each other, and in some cases you can't even rate fighters from the same generation who didn't fight each other because the circumstances weren't right. (See Garziano and LaMotta)

Posters on this forum overuse the word 'duck' and think there is all this Machiavellian conspiracy going on to the timing of fights. (See Mayweather Jr.) They don't look deep enough into the circumstances surrounding the fighters' careers. Follow the money, it's almost always the correct answer as to why/what happened.

P.S. Who was the 'best possible contender' other than Wills? We all know the circumstances behind that situation.
The point is my friend, Wills was the best possible contender and his records reflects it. And I never said Miske was a bum. But he certainly wasn't deserving of a third Dempsey fight when fighters like Greb and Norfolk who had beat him we're shut out the same ways Wills was. It just leaves a bad taste the Dempsey never fought so many men who beat so many of his other opponents.
JAB5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:42 PM #33
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,590.17
Total Points: 36,333.81
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben41193 View Post
Well think about it. Dempsey may have been the best white heaavyweight but what about all the black challengers out there. Maybe they could have beaten him.
sometimes it happened and the white fighter didnt always win. Look at Kid Norfolk vs Greb. It continued this way for a while, you had guys like Lamotta, or Giardello, Demarco etc

Every culture was pretty tough back then, if it happened today it would mean a lot more, cause white people tend to be coddled, but you are noticing it more within the black community as well. Just a soft era.
them_apples is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:47 PM #34
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,590.17
Total Points: 36,333.81
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry A View Post
Frazier is 1 inch taller and roughly 16 lbs heavier. And Frazier also fought (and beat) 3 guys with styles similar to Rocky's...George Chuvalo (KO), Ron Stander (KO) and Jerry Quarry twice (KO, KO). Frazier fought other sluggers and prevailed.

Marciano had just as much heart as Frazier, more experience (although Frazier's amateur background bodes well for him) and was just as dangerous late as early.

To me, the deciding factor here is Archie Moore was able to knock down (not out) Marciano, and who disputes that Frazier hits way harder than the Mongoose? Plus, only Foreman was able to KO Frazier (Manila was more wore down / TKO) And Foreman (6'3" 225) beats Rocky (5'10" 189) every time, so, I would say that if they ever fought in their prime, my pick would also be Frazier, say in about 8-9 rounds. Frazier would put too many heavy shots on the Rock for him to be able to withstand the slow beat down. I don't see Rocky landing too many on Frazier, who's defence was under rated.

This would have been a great fight.

well no, Frazier in his prime was about 198-205 lbs. Rocky started his career at 192, but in his prime was getting down to 188. Rocky was also a lot leaner than Frazier, he started looking soft aboce 200 lbs. He even looked a bit smooth vs Ali at 205.

So Frazier isnt "bigger" than Rocky, and if it is its but an absolutely meaningless margin. Rocky was 255 lbs when he retired, probably heavier than Joe at any point considering the health problems Joe had later.

Now Frazier, he does hit harder than the Mongoose, and he probably takes a better shot. He's also a lot easier to hit and a lot less tricky than Archie. Archie is simply a better fighter than Joe, but Joes got, strength, chin, youth and power on his side. However, it also plays into Rocky's style a bit and thats what makes in interesting. Most of Rockys fighters were him trying to land punches on oponents that were in survival mode. so if someone went head to head, blow to blow with Rocky, I wouldnt be so certain its a good idea.

Last edited by them_apples; 11-03-2020 at 05:49 PM.
them_apples is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:26 AM #35
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 88,473.77
Total Points: 89,795.41

Most of the very greatest black fighters were part white (Clay, Leonard, Mayweather, Jones, Foreman et al), but the reverse is not true at all. Joe did not enjoy that kick start. These two would fight to a draw almost every time because styles make fights. Occasionally Rock would knock him wedge-cold.

It was impossible to stop Marciano on cuts. Peeled, he would still fight on.
The Old LefHook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:15 AM #36
SRR by Triangle Theory

Quoted: 3296 Post(s)
Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,128,284.02
Total Points: 1,128,714.19
Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS 
For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas Merry Cristmas Rockin' - TBear 
:) - Salim_Shady Thank you for bumping the Rockin' story thread, I would have otherwise never seen it and I really enjoyed reading it. - Tyler_Durden Icon says it all - jazluvr Happy hoidays - jazluvr Thanks for the green! - GhostofDempsey 
Cheers! - Shontae De'marc Thanks! - GhostofDempsey What a faggot, deleting your posts and snitching on users. Gtfo this forum btch - lfc19titles thanks - Deontaytheking To celebrate Bidens win........ - Robbie Barrett 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

With the old-time fighters it was their job to fight, get paydays and continue on. It wasn't like today where fighters MUST retain their 0. They would go out and fight whoever, like James Toney did in modern times, waay back in the day. They were fighters and that's what they did. They were not technical 'avoiders' protecting an 0. .........Rockin'
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.

Last edited by Rockin'; 11-04-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Rockin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:46 PM #37
Interim Champion

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Willie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 26,898.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' View Post
With the old-time fighters it was their job to fight, get paydays and continue on. It wasn't like today where fighters MUST retain their 0. They would go out and fight whoever, like James Toney did in modern times, waay back in the day. They were fighters and that's what they did. They were not technical 'avoiders' protecting an 0. .........Rockin'
Very true . . . but can we blame the fighters today? . . . promoters/television/fans are the ones demanding the damn "0" -- they don't respect the game . . . there may well be many fighters today who would like to learn/apply their trade by fighting more often but it's just plain PPV suicide.

Brett Favre is remembered as an ATG QB, he has a .624 win/lose record. Imagine a fighter today who loses four of every ten fights. Forget ATG, he couldn't make a living.
Willie Pep 229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:30 PM #38
Banned

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Rick Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeRick Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeRick Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeRick Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeRick Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeRick Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeRick Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeRick Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeRick Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeRick Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeRick Taylor has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 34,618.04
Total Points: 40,597.53
Better use than your keyboard, clown. - 120 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old LefHook View Post
Most of the very greatest black fighters were part white (Clay, Leonard, Mayweather, Jones, Foreman et al), but the reverse is not true at all. Joe did not enjoy that kick start. These two would fight to a draw almost every time because styles make fights. Occasionally Rock would knock him wedge-cold.

It was impossible to stop Marciano on cuts. Peeled, he would still fight on.
mention this to that larry guy in nsb. i want to see his reaction
Rick Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:35 PM #39
SRR by Triangle Theory

Quoted: 3296 Post(s)
Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,128,284.02
Total Points: 1,128,714.19
Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS 
For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas Merry Cristmas Rockin' - TBear 
:) - Salim_Shady Thank you for bumping the Rockin' story thread, I would have otherwise never seen it and I really enjoyed reading it. - Tyler_Durden Icon says it all - jazluvr Happy hoidays - jazluvr Thanks for the green! - GhostofDempsey 
Cheers! - Shontae De'marc Thanks! - GhostofDempsey What a faggot, deleting your posts and snitching on users. Gtfo this forum btch - lfc19titles thanks - Deontaytheking To celebrate Bidens win........ - Robbie Barrett 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
Very true . . . but can we blame the fighters today? . . . promoters/television/fans are the ones demanding the damn "0" -- they don't respect the game . . . there may well be many fighters today who would like to learn/apply their trade by fighting more often but it's just plain PPV suicide.

Brett Favre is remembered as an ATG QB, he has a .624 win/lose record. Imagine a fighter today who loses four of every ten fights. Forget ATG, he couldn't make a living.

I agree with it being the promoters, television networks and the likes fault about keeping the 0, they don't respect and don't even know the sport of boxing or what makes the sport great.
And you are correct that it is not the fighters fault (but more on that at another time).

Hell, if Favre is an all-time great with a .62 win percentage, by those standards, I was nearly an ATG. But of course boxing is not football and I was no where near being an ATG........Rockin'
Rockin' is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends