Duran Tactics to Attack Mayweather's Shell Defense

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post

via GIPHY

He'd land a left hook to the body but countered with a clean right hand, not sure if it's a worthy trade off.

Anyway it's a genuine 50/50, would be one of my first picks of a fantasy fight to make a reality.
    Very different than what duran is doing, though they look similar.

Canelo does not move his head, his head is back, and he does not slide over to establish a new fighting line. He is doing everthing from the same distance, and it is a different distance than Duran.

Duran is pressuring, he is closer which changes the dynamic considerably. he hits to the body to get an anticipated reaction, then slides over, moving his head with the body to anticipate the response he will get and dig to the body.

Granted Duran is showing a hypothetical but everything he shows is logical and at the right distance. canelo is at a distance where his movements are readable and where he is in hittable range. Duran is closer and is anticipating the response.

Comment

Originally posted by Offic.Scorecard View Post
      By the way if Pacquiao was able to visibly outcounter Floyd, I personally have no doubts Duran could.
      manny did it what 3 times.

Nearly all elite fighters will land something in a fight even if it's a match where his opponent schools him

Comment

Mostly folk, as usual, reciting long held opinions or biases. I am no fan of Mayweather's but acknowledge his bulging medicine bag and ability to adapt inside the ring. It is hard to believe one simple move or tactic would work all night long against MW because he IS adaptable. If Duran were doing something effective against him, MW would look for a way to diminish the effectiveness of the move by making it impossible to perform. He may not be able to do that. But he certainly will quickly learn to anticipate this tactic against his shoulder roll and set some counter traps of his own.

Comment

- -In the provided clip, Canelo lands 3-1 over TUE.

As to not moving his head billy goat nonsense, as he throws his last left hook, TUE clips him with his only shot, but look again!

Canelo rides the shot by turning his head as his body stance remains planted, thus Canelo hook lands that causes TUE to twist and move as left hand rises to protect that now stricken part of his body.

Kinda dumb clip to prove any def genius by TUE. I'd be sinking right hooks in his kidney if he cowered like that against the ropes, but of course Bayliss and Cortez won't allow that so he can get away with his illegal defense.

Comment

Maybe Queensbree wanted MW to execute a quick flip to extricate himself from the trap. No, the mighty Mayweather defensive acumen is on full display. Two harmless taps to the shoulder and a weak lefhook to the rib are not enough to make up for a clear shot into the kisser, by belly laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
              - -In the provided clip, Canelo lands 3-1 over TUE.

As to not moving his head billy goat nonsense, as he throws his last left hook, TUE clips him with his only shot, but look again!

Canelo rides the shot by turning his head as his body stance remains planted, thus Canelo hook lands that causes TUE to twist and move as left hand rises to protect that now stricken part of his body.

Kinda dumb clip to prove any def genius by TUE. I'd be sinking right hooks in his kidney if he cowered like that against the ropes, but of course Bayliss and Cortez won't allow that so he can get away with his illegal defense.
              Hitting the arm with a 1-2 is not clean punching.

Comment

If you didn't jump from your chair in applause of Duran, you're lying.

Watching thatdude maul opponents still gives me a stiffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post

via GIPHY

He'd land a left hook to the body but countered with a clean right hand, not sure if it's a worthy trade off.

Anyway it's a genuine 50/50, would be one of my first picks of a fantasy fight to make a reality.

You didn't even watch the clip.

Canelo is that guy who attacks the focus mits like he's hitting the heavy bag.
                  Look at the distance between him and Mayweather... did you ever see Duran throw any punch from that far away.

I really don't know what a green, weight-drained Canelo has to do with Duran. And the fact that Mayweather couldn't stop Canelo in that form tells me that Duran would wade through Mayweather's punches.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    Mostly folk, as usual, reciting long held opinions or biases. I am no fan of Mayweather's but acknowledge his bulging medicine bag and ability to adapt inside the ring. It is hard to believe one simple move or tactic would work all night long against MW because he IS adaptable. If Duran were doing something effective against him, MW would look for a way to diminish the effectiveness of the move by making it impossible to perform. He may not be able to do that. But he certainly will quickly learn to anticipate this tactic against his shoulder roll and set some counter traps of his own.

After the first ball tap Roger enters the ring, and gets bounced from the venue. then what's mayweather's adptation to the second and third nut-shots?

Duran was a rugged, vicious fighter. Better than anything we would see until the arrival of Lomachenko. Mayweather did everything not to fight a prime version of the marquee names of his (atrociously weak) era. Put two and two together.

Comment

Floyd vs Duran. Dream fight. Either fighter can get the better of it in 2 out of 3 matches.

Henry Armstrong
                      Duran
                      Pernell Whitaker

Fighters who could beat Floyd WITHOUT a size advantage.

Comment

Working...
                      X