Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pass a law that fighters can only be signed on a fight-by-fight basis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    It would be illegal for any network or promoter to tie fighters down to long term commitments. Beyond just one fight.

That way boxers would be free to work for whoever is offering them more money at any given time.

Would such a system work? Would it make boxing better?
    This is bad for fighters and good for promoters.

The problem right now is actually ONLY Haymon and PBC.

Top Rank fighters fight other people.

Golden Boy/DAZN fight other people.

Its really only PBC holding people back...Danny Garcia turned down a career high payday, Wilder a career high payday, Ortiz a career high payday...is silly af

Haymon got some black on black slave stuff going on lmfao

Comment

You are right, Al Gaymon should be in prison for making boxers sign long term contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
        This is bad for fighters and good for promoters.

The problem right now is actually ONLY Haymon and PBC.

Top Rank fighters fight other people.

Golden Boy/DAZN fight other people.

Its really only PBC holding people back...Danny Garcia turned down a career high payday, Wilder a career high payday, Ortiz a career high payday...is silly af

Haymon got some black on black slave stuff going on lmfao
        Wrong.

Top Rank kept Tyson Fury from rematching Wilder.

Top Rank also stopped Jose Ramirez from fighting Regis Prograis. And he kept both Ramirez and Zurdo out of the World Boxing Super Series.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          Nope, if I was a boxer I wouldn’t agree to that. If I have a voluntary fight and lose then my belt is gone. I wouldn’t be able to get a rematch if I wanted. Imagine Lennox not being able to get a rematch again Rahman.

This is why I like the Haymon model of advising his fighters not to be tied down initially, but since he (PBC) is now aligned with Showtime/Fox that model has a lot of holes because now he has to play politics, before it was about the fighters being in control, but now he is in control of the fighters and where they fight.
          I would be willing to include an exception that allows for champions to have a rematch clause. Which I think is a perk they have earned.

Comment

Wrong.

Top Rank kept Tyson Fury from rematching Wilder.

Top Rank also stopped Jose Ramirez from fighting Regis Prograis. And he kept both Ramirez and Zurdo out of the World Boxing Super Series.
            Fury publicly said he wouldn't do 50/50. And why should Fury do 50/50?

Fury is the attraction in any fight at HW. Not the lineal part or any of that nonsense, but his act is what drives promotion.

Wilder is basic. Joshua is basic. Joshua is just the best heavyweight.

Fury deserves the bulk of any split. The only potential 50/50 would maybe be with AJ.

Oh and Fury won the first fight. 50/50 is not how you do a rematch.

I don't know details behind the JWW SS. Maybe they felt their fighters weren't ready? Maybe there are legitimate reasons? I don't know.

Comment

It would be illegal for any network or promoter to tie fighters down to long term commitments. Beyond just one fight.

That way boxers would be free to work for whoever is offering them more money at any given time.

Forcing freedom onto boxers

It would add another crazy wrinkle to an already crazy sport

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                How are we deciding who's fighting who?

Seems like it'd just be easier to buy a specific fighters rights & take it from there.

That makes me think one problem with this would be if a promoter won the rights to Joshua then maybe someone who lose the rights to Joshua could go super hard on the rights to Wilder to prevent the Joshua promoter to win the rights to Wilder & therefore the Joshua vs Wilder fight lol. And that could potentially go on for awhile prolonging fights from being made to. Idk doe, but there are going to be holes with this fantasy scenario & that could be one of them with making fights.
                Yeah it's not really the best suggestion with multiple orgs around, 1 Champ in each class would definitely the way to go for the fans. If only we was in fantasy land.

I wonder if DAZN could have been more successful by doing a more lucrative WBSS (Bigger prizes) to entice the larger names in boxing instead of actually signing fighters and promotional companies. There might not be enough content though.

Comment

Watching people discuss this is hurting my brain. Jesus children should not do math or business.

Comment

I agree. Doing away with network exclusive deals for any fighter or promoter and allow every network to bid on the fight eliminates network politics from preventing fights and will help increase fighter pay because it will encourage the top tier guys fighting each other if the networks pay more for those.

Comment

Boxing is unique in the combat sports perspective because the totality of the sport is above individual promotions and the sport is somewhat governed by independent organizations.

Take MMA. The promotions reign supreme. UFC, Bellator, ONE. They have their own shows, their own fighters, their own titles, their own rules.

Take Kickboxing. GLORY, Kunlun Fight, K-1. Same story.

Bare knuckle. BKFC. Pro wrestling. WWE.

Sometimes I wish PBC had ended up going down this route. Dismissed the ABC orgs, created their own titles, and tried to make a go of it that way. But ultimately they settled for something in the middle. They don't necessarily share their fighters with other promoters, but don't have their own title belts or numbered show structure.

Comment

Working...
                      X