Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Republicans kill bill to ban child marriage.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by man down View Post
    Notice how that its been posted as fake many times and people are ignoring that FACT. They learned to just go with fake news.
    The picture was a prank on YouTube but the story (news) is not fake

Comment

My lil sister got pregnant at 14, by a 17 year old from Mexico. She’s 40 now, he’s 43, have two college graduate children. They are happy, her Mexican husband owns his own business, she’s a boss of nurses. They both went back to school got credentials and got the American dream.

He’s a little prejudiced, he hates “lazy” gringos. 
      gringos ~ American
      Last edited by Zaroku; 07-14-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
        I see.
        But just so you know, no the Bible doesn't state any age of consent. It just says once they are developed, it's good to go.
        So what age do you think it appropriate to a man and women to get married?.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
          So what age do you think it appropriate to a man and women to get married?.
          No one should marry before 30.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
            Gotta tag this one so when the dems start going down I'll bump this up.
            Just like the Russians and trump right? Or all the women that say he raped them. Where did they all go. Your track record isn't doing so well.
            Now that my son is banned, I think that clown may be the most rabid D superfan on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
              You know a lot of those are teenagers getting knocked up and married right?
              According to his source - "Some 77% of the children wed were minor girls married to adult men, often with significant age differences."

But tbf, based on other times I've looked into this topic my impression is that most of the marriages (including the ones between an adult and a minor) are between people a few years apart and/or where the minor is 16 or 17.

But not all of them. There definitely are known to be some cases where the age gap is very wide and the minor is well below 18. Even if that's not most of the marriages it's still a major cause for concern.

In general though over the last few years, states all over the country have been trending towards higher age requirements for marriage.

Comment

Kill Bill, loved those movies

Comment

America has the worst child marriage rate and laws in the world.

Amazing still today it is allowed to happen.

Even some posters on here refuse to admit the issue, deflect from the issue and make excuse for people who keep this law.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...s-child-brides

Unchained At Last, an organization dedicated to ending forced and child marriage in the United States, found that more than 167,000 children were married between 2000 and 2010. Based on the correlation between population and incidence of child marriage, they estimated that nearly 248,000 children were married in the US during that time

Age of participants

Unchained At Last found that only 14% of the child marriages conducted from 2000 to 2010 were between two children marrying each other[3]. In most cases, child marriages are to adults aged 18-21, however at least 31% were to an adult 21 or older.

In over 400 cases, the adult was aged over 40. And in 31 cases, they were over 60. In 2010 in Idaho, a 65-year-old man married a 17-year-old girl. In Alabama, a 74-year-old man married a 14-year-old girl, though the state has since raised their minimum age to 16.[

According to Frontline, who looked at almost 200,000 cases of child marriage from 2000-2015:

67% of the children were aged 17.
                    29% of the children were aged 16.
                    4% of the children were aged 15.
                    <1% of the children were aged 14 and under.
                    Overall there were 51 cases of 13-year-olds getting married, and 6 cases of 12-year-olds getting married.

According to Unchained At Last, the youngest girls to marry in 2000-2010 were three Tennessee 10-year-old girls who married men aged 24, 25 and 31 in 2001. The youngest boy was an 11-year-old who married a 27-year-old woman in the same state in 2006

Comment

Working...
                    X