No announcement yet.

Does GGG deserve to be on HBO........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King- View Post
    The "business" aspect is what kills boxing. That's what leads to poor judging, cherry picking fighters for PPV numbers, mismatches due simply to popularity, etc etc...IMO.
    ^ this is a good point.

boxing needs to present itself as a sport first and foremost. the entertainment will come. it is in the nature of sporting contests to sometimes be less than exhilirating. when a football match is boring, football isn't taken off air. they keep showing football on the promise of exciting games to come. why would boxing be any different?

Comment

Sure, why not? His last fight was more exciting than half of the ones that I see...after all, people always like a KO.

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
        I'm not sure where you're going wit this. What exactly are you trying to say?

That all eastern euro fighters are stiff , have no power or attack the body? Or that GGG is the only eastern euro fighter worthy of fighting on the almighty HBO?

The "business" aspect is what kills boxing. That's what leads to poor judging, cherry picking fighters for PPV numbers, mismatches due simply to popularity, etc etc...IMO.

Again, I'm not sure i exactly understand your thread, sorry if I am missing something. Anyway there is a handful of good prospects who are going to be fighting on American Television/HBO this year, and rightfully so. Who cares where a fighter comes from? I want to see the best/ most deserving fighters fight each other based on skill and get national tv time based on skill, nothing else.

Aside from GGG, you'll be seeing a lot of Glazkov, Sergey Kovalev, Khabib Allekherdiev, Denis Shafikov, Provodnikov, among others... On American tv and in big fights this year. I expect Khabib and Kovalev to explode this year and gain a lot of American fans.
        What I'm saying is Americans aren't going to watch a foreigner who isn't exciting any more than eastern Europeans are going to watch an American who isn't exciting. GGG brings the whole package and that is why he will sell over here.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          ........but not other eastern European fighters? I think so. It it all comes down to excitement. The American public will buy into Golovkin because he is fun to watch and humble, much the way they bought into Pacquiao. Do you think this means HBO should show other eastern Europeans or would that be against their better interests as a business?
          The bold is all subject to personal opinion. HBO and Showtime should broadcast fighters who are fighting competitive opponents not because of what some consider exciting or humble. I personally do not find a professional in ring no skill showing drunken bar brawl exciting. I could really give a **** less whether a fighter is humble or ****y, brash, abrasive, a trash talker or a total @sshole. If they can fight and I like what they do I will watch them.

Comment

Originally posted by tredh View Post
            The bold is all subject to personal opinion. HBO and Showtime should broadcast fighters who are fighting competitive opponents not because of what some consider exciting or humble. I personally do not find a professional in ring no skill showing drunken bar brawl exciting. I could really give a **** less whether a fighter is humble or ****y, brash, abrasive, a trash talker or a total @sshole. If they can fight and I like what they do I will watch them.
            Pretty much for me, If you can fight then i dont care if you are black, red, humble, shy, talk, dont talk etc. I watch fights because boxing is my hobby not because i want to identify with a boxer.

Comment

Working...
            X