Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I watched the fight with a bunch of casuals on Saturday.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Dude I've tried. Hard. It goes in one ear and out the other. By the time you're done finishing saying whatever it is you're saying, in a completely futile and pointless attempt to convince them, by the time you wrap up your last point they've already forgotten 100% of what you just said and are now thinking about who the Cowboys should sign in free agency and LeBron James' latest stat line in some meaningless February game against the 76ers.
    Bruh, you just need smarter friends.

Comment

Try not to watch important fights with casuals broo its a pain in the ass hahaha Specially if u have money on it ( which i do in almost every title fight )

Great post, and i have felt that "shame" of being super pumped for a fight and casuals not getting it, a good example also was Ward vs Kovalev i was super pumped and i tought the fight was incredible, and most casuals tought it was a ****y fight WTF

IMO If u wanna turn some friends into boxing fans just show em a few good ones on youtube specially short ones , and little by little if they show interest and grasp the concept of the sport u start showing different styles, longer fights... etc...etc.. I ve done it many times because i watch a loooot of boxing and enjoy talking about it, but i dont have any close friends like that, just a couple of guys from the boxing gym haha and they are not very international about it ( i live in mexico ). I have turned a couple into not so casual fans anymore.

Gettin a little out of topic but you know wich fight i think its awesome to show to casuals with interest, Toney vs Mccallum 1 , not only is it action packed but also highly technical and strategic.

Just my 2 cents, i love boxing so much i dont think it will ever die, f u ck de casuals

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
        Made a thread about saturday night as well bro, I haven't made one for the last four years and it was enough to bring me back from oblivion, and only to rant my dissatisfaction.

I was trembling in excitement and all, and I even briefly explained everything too to my girlfriend whom I convinced to postpone doing the laundry so that she can watch with me.

Halfway thru the fight, I can read in her face the "Can I go back to my laundry now?" question lol I was just making it interesting making sounds every time a punch was thrown, even though nothing was really happening.

Like I said in my thread, the moment wasn't seized the way greats ones once did and they seem to not know or forget the dynamics of prize fighting.

Even though its the social media era, where promotions are way easier, we are a long a way from having a star that can produce big numbers like guys of the 1990's can even do.
        Ah too real lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
          I agree but I'm just saying the opponent was also different,ya know..They applied crazy pressure and fought with a relentless style..If i can just simply move amd avoid and win a fight hell why not..It's up to the opponent to make the other fighter pay for his movement..Taylor vs Chavez Leonard vs Hearns Froch vsTaylor etc etc..
          Lyle beyond the first couple rounds didnt do much to Ali, Patterson did even less...Hearns literally ran from leonard for like 3 rounds and Leonard houndedh im like a mad dog.

Thats a crazy excuse to make for fighters. You're basically saying, "Oh, if Garcia had been better at cutting off the ring, Thurman would have put on a better fight"...like that doesnt even make sense. Forget about the physical ability, the will to finish fights off strong are no longer present.

There are to ofew people with the mindset of a Khan or a Bradley or a Hatton or a Holyfield these days.

American fighters in particular all want to be Mayweather and think they can make huge sums of money by fighting like that, completely forgetting tha tMayweather fought like that and tanked as the new HBO/Arum created star. It wasn't his style that got hime over, to borrow a wrestling term. It was his persona.

These guys dont even have that lol

they will all learn soon enough though

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
            not entirely. It takes 2 guys to make a great fight. You dont get Gatti-Ward or Barrera-Morales without BOTH guys doing their thing. If one side decides to stink out the joint, in many instances there isnt too much the other guy can do about it......
            I still don't fully understand the hypocrisy with many here though. If a fighter that one likes does what Thurman did and wins, he "stinks out the joint" but if you don't like Thurman, he was running....so which is it?

Have many of you sparred or fought before? Do you know what it's like to get hit? Get your bell rung? Been hit in the liver? All are unpleasant experiences, so imo, a smart fighter will box and move, it's called ****ing BOXING, which is defined by Webster is "the art of attack and defense with the fists practiced as a sport" There's a big ring there to use it...if a guy boxes and moves, and still lands punches I don't see the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Jones View Post
              Bruh, you just need smarter friends.
              They are the exact same people who learn Krav Maga from a DVD and think they can kick a boxers azz. Ignorance is bliss.

Comment

Yup thats what Mayweather and his fans have brought upon us. Hit and not getting hit, protecting yourself, safety first. Fighting for money and not really going all out. These fighters have become boring and fights have mostly become snoozefests.

Glad we have GGG, Kovalev and a couple others to keep the sport alive.

Comment

It's a tough dichotomy man. They are two of the best, which means their bout will be technical and meticulous since so much is on the line. The best fights aren't usually between the best fighters ya know.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                    It's a tough dichotomy man. They are two of the best, which means their bout will be technical and meticulous since so much is on the line. The best fights aren't usually between the best fighters ya know.
                    Facts......

Comment

I saw a highly tactical fight play out... In my imagination. I saw Thurman getting countered left and right through the evening(in my imagination). However, Thurman saw this as well and envisioned himself losing the fight so instead of keeping up his offensive mind state and attempting to break Garcia down, he opted to move around more. He may have lost the highly intense mental battle that him and Garcia fought in their minds but he won the war.

He got the check... without the wreck.

Comment

Working...
                      X