Supreme Court rules states can require online retailers to collect sales tax

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingTech718 View Post
    Lol will it really? Amazon will still be cheaper
    I don’t know? It could. It’s not just amazon that will be impacted by this Supreme Court decision.

Comment

This has Walmart written all over it. Wonder how much they paid

Comment

im from arizona and most my purchases from amazon and they here cause amazon has a warehouse here.

Comment

It's worth noting that a lot of the biggest online retailers will be largely unaffected.

Amazon already collects state sales tax on all of its sales direct to consumers, and collects tax on a small portion of third-party sales conducted on its website in the states that currently require it to do so.

The administrative burden of collecting tax on all third-party sales is negligible, and because Amazon charges third parties a transaction fee for administering state taxes, the company could actually benefit slightly from the ruling.

It's also possible that additional third-party sellers will choose to use Amazon in order to avoid having to collect and distribute sales tax revenue on their own.
          https://finance.yahoo.com/news/onlin...173905658.html

This will impact smaller online businesses more than larger ones, but it's a fair ruling IMO as small in-person business already have to deal with this.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder how this will affect me getting things shipped on base here in Italy. How much will that tax come out to?

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
              It's worth noting that a lot of the biggest online retailers will be largely unaffected.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/onlin...173905658.html

This will impact smaller online businesses more than larger ones, but it's a fair ruling IMO as small in-person business already have to deal with this.
              I was reading a more in depth story about it and it talked about how the smaller businesses are going to have nightmares figuring out the different taxes for each state/city/municipality. One example they gave is how candy bars that have flour in them are taxable while ones without flour aren't taxable

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                Hmm, I wonder how this will affect me getting things shipped on base here in Italy. How much will that tax come out to?
                Depends whatever the rules are in Italy.

This will set a bad precedence though with other countries moving to do the same.

Thanks Trump for ruining e commerce

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingTech718 View Post
                  Thanks Trump for ruining e commerce
                  Trump had nothing to do with this.

The lawsuit was filed by the State of South Dakota.

This was pointed out earlier.

Please catch yourself up on the facts before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                    The free ride is over. This will impact all online companies in interesting ways.
                    ^^^^^

lots of free rides and one of the main reasons why online sales were beating out going to the actual stores

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                      I was reading a more in depth story about it and it talked about how the smaller businesses are going to have nightmares figuring out the different taxes for each state/city/municipality. One example they gave is how candy bars that have flour in them are taxable while ones without flour aren't taxable
                      Some programmers can easily solve that problem..
                      it’s not that tough. My buddy is working on an application that can plug into java server side libraries..

Comment

Working...
                      X