No announcement yet.

Steve collins?--Someone who was around tell me about him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid fighter.

Tough as nails. Some of the shots Reggie Johnson cracked him with God knows how he stayed on his feet.

Comment

Originally posted by The Truth! View Post
      Benn Ok. But Eubank no way in a million years! Eubank was UNDEFEATED world champ 40-0, and was just 29 years old in his prime. Collins deserves full credit for those 2 wins.
      eubank had been on the slide for years. age doesnt mean much in boxing. you can be good at 35 or completely done at 30. eubank had 6 fights in 1994 before losing to collins in 95 and had about 15 fight in 3 years so he definitely exhausted himself. he should have lost the first ray close fight and the benn rematch and he definitely lost the schommer fight so the undefeated thing was just a marketing gimmick since he a had a big tv contract they didnt want to let him lose. people tuned in to see him lose and they kept stringing them along because of the ratings but eventually that balloon burst.

Comment

Tough awkward aggressive fighter I hated him as a kid because he kind of put the final nail in benn eubank 3 from happening and pretty much ended the careers at the top of my favorite fighters from that era on ITV boxing

He was due to fight calzaghe before pulling out that would have been an interesting fight

Comment

He never had any real skill, speed or power but what he did have was an iron will and a granite chin. He could fight for 12 rounds non stop and you had to be very good to beat him, especially at 168.

Comment

Originally posted by redmish View Post
            He never had any real skill, speed or power but what he did have was an iron will and a granite chin. He could fight for 12 rounds non stop and you had to be very good to beat him, especially at 168.
            Interesting. How could you beat Eubank Sr. without "any real speed or skill" Watching his fights he seems to have enough "speed and skill" to land in bunches on most of his opponent, stopped plenty of fighters as well

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
              Interesting. How could you beat Eubank Sr. without "any real speed or skill" Watching his fights he seems to have enough "speed and skill" to land in bunches on most of his opponent, stopped plenty of fighters as well
              Who's the lady in the picture?

nice fart box

Comment

exceptional fighter, tough as old boots.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  eubank had been on the slide for years. age doesnt mean much in boxing. you can be good at 35 or completely done at 30. eubank had 6 fights in 1994 before losing to collins in 95 and had about 15 fight in 3 years so he definitely exhausted himself. he should have lost the first ray close fight and the benn rematch and he definitely lost the schommer fight so the undefeated thing was just a marketing gimmick since he a had a big tv contract they didnt want to let him lose. people tuned in to see him lose and they kept stringing them along because of the ratings but eventually that balloon burst.
                  Eubank sr didn't seem to mention any of that. He was graciously defeated and said Collins was the better guy in those fights

Comment

I could have put that better. I just meant he wasn't outstanding offensively and that his best attributes were his heart and his chin. I always enjoyed his fights and I wish he had taken the calzaghe fight.

Comment

Eubank sr didn't seem to mention any of that. He was graciously defeated and said Collins was the better guy in those fights

why do i care what he says? its clear to see his career was fading when he was losing to guys like dan schommer. fighters are usually the most delusional. people from the outside can see better and i could see he was ripe for the taking. he was already taken many times but the judges just didnt get it right so bringing up how he was undefeated doesnt mean anything or doesnt prove he was prime or great since it was fabricated

Comment

Working...
                      X