Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we going to pretend that Golovkin didn't just pull off a huge power play here?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
    Yeah props to GGG. Sad he knew more what he was doing than his promoter
    From everyone I see that is crediable that has anything to say about that dude is that he's a clown and push over.

Comment

The fact is that both guys need each other. Golovkin does **** numbers without Canelo and Canelo's other options at Middleweight (Jacobs, Saunders) are very dangerous fights for less money than what he would earn against GGG. I'd wager that unless the second fight is very one sided (unlikely) that there will be a third fight between these two.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
        oh are you one of those cats who says Canelo won because jabs don't count?
        No. Canelo won the fight, admittedly close due to his stamina issues, because he was able to fight at will whenever he wanted to fight, and when he didn't want to fight, Golovkin could hardly do anything to make him fight.

Nothing wrong with having an active jab as long as it's actually being used to set up something. Paulie Malignaggi was basically a one-handed fighter, but he used his stick, his feet, and his boxing brain to consistently get the guys he was fighting out of position to land more clean shots.

Golovkin came into the fight expecting one thing, realized that Alvarez wasn't going to sit there and bang with him, and all he could come up with was to simply increase the value as he plodded forward with his face.

Comment

He's going to get a huge paycheck that's for sure.

I see a trilogy next May.

Comment

Just saw that they agreed to the rematch.

Dlh and Canelo could've walked away, but every fight fan felt that GG deserved more than he was getting. I give props to GG for this reason.

Marquez gave Pac hell in their first fight and vice versa and Arum wasnt going to give JMM a raise which is why he went to Indonesia to face Chris John. If memory serves Arum only gave JMM a $100,000 raise which was still insulting, but he got more money...I could be wrong about the amount.

GG got a lot more than he deserves considering he isn't a draw, but he added to the drama in the first fight and the fact that Canelo cheated deserved a pay raise in the eyes of the fans.

Plus if GG faced Saunders, Canelo mightve had to face Charlo, lmao sike lol...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
              Maybe he wins, maybe he loses, could care less. I'm just pointing out Golovkin's brilliance in negotiating.

This could set a precedent for fighters going forward.
              Lol, how?

Golovkin had the first fight for 30% of the pot, sat on the bench for basically 8 months (and missing out on that alleged mega-money fight in Kazakhstan against Saunders), ended up fighting for maybe 10% of the money that he would've made had he not made a stink to the commission against a bum, got stripped of one of his title belts, and is now set to fight for 40%+ of the pot in the rematch.

Why would any other fighter do that to themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                Lol, how?

Golovkin had the first fight for 30% of the pot, sat on the bench for basically 8 months (and missing out on that alleged mega-money fight in Kazakhstan against Saunders), ended up fighting for maybe 10% of the money that he would've made had he not made a stink to the commission against a bum, got stripped of one of his title belts, and is now set to fight for 40%+ of the pot in the rematch.

Why would any other fighter do that to themselves?
                He was never going to fight anyone before he fought Canelo. That's why he waited out and fought Martirosyan (tune up) and resumed negotiations after Canelo got a slap on the wrist by NSAC.

He was offered a 65-35 take-it-or-leave-it split by Oscar, who threatened to rescind the offer several times. Golovkin wanted 45% at least, stood firm and got a very nice split in the end. That's a huge win.

Don't be surprised if after the fight Golovkin fades off into the sunset and retires, win or lose.

Comment

Good power play by Gennady

I think people underestimated how desperate Gooden Boy is. Canelos their only fighter keeping that company afloat and this is the only fight that generates serious $ for them

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
                    He was never going to fight anyone before he fought Canelo. That's why he waited out and fought Martirosyan (tune up) and resumed negotiations after Canelo got a slap on the wrist by NSAC.

He was offered a 65-35 take-it-or-leave-it split by Oscar, who threatened to rescind the offer several times. Golovkin wanted 45% at least, stood firm and got a very nice split in the end. That's a huge win.

Don't be surprised if after the fight Golovkin fades off into the sunset and retires, win or lose.
                    A sloppy way to handle one's exit, if you ask me.

Comment

golovkin definitely did well for himself here..cant front or lie....makes me thing team canelo is pretty confident they can beat the breaks off him

Comment

Working...
                      X