Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So is a division considered "weak" when there is 1 dominant champ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
    A division is "weak" if it fits someone's argument on here.

There is no real barometer.

What makes a strong division is lots of even competition and elite competition at that or close to it.

I have been around boxing for a while though and thus rely heavily on my knowledge and recognition of the sport over resumes or marketability of fighters, wheras casuals tend to judge only by marketability first, resume second, and have no ability to use the eye test. That's why to a casual, a division with no names is a weak division. To me, a division can be full of "names" and be weak.

Right now, I consider the ww division weak, and the hw division strong, for example.
    I find your comment I bolded above interesting. I myself cant really stand 147-160, I think the politics in those divisions are killing boxing. But I do agree to an extent, I have wanted to voice the same opinion but have been skeptical. Also I am bias because I prefer 140 and below.

Comment

i think division at the weight extremes are weak. There not much guy that can weight 110 lbs, and there is also not much people at 6'6+. But there is a ton of people who can make 130-180 lbs. Wich make those division more competitive imo.

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
        I reckon this is about the middleweight division. Which ones of these fighters do you think is worth a damn:

Daniel Jacobs
        Billy Joe Saunders
        David Lemieux
        Andy Lee
        Peter Quillin
        Chris Eubank Jr
        Ryota Murata
        Curtis Stevens
        Hassan N’Dam
        Ievgen Khytrov
        Sam Soliman
        You could easily do that with every division except 130. Every division has a handful of no named or weak contenders. Take WW for instance, none of those guys are tested really except Garcia and he gets the most hate. Difference is, its a glamour division but whos to say Thurman isnt another Eubank Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by UFC_Boxing View Post
          i think division at the weight extremes are weak. There not much guy that can weight 110 lbs, and there is also not much people at 6'6+. But there is a ton of people who can make 130-180 lbs. Wich make those division more competitive imo.
          You don't have to be 6'6 to be a heavyweight.

Go back to 15 round fights all those guys would disappear overnight.

Comment

No.. If one guy is better than the rest by quite a margin then its not a knock on the other guys..
            Once in a while you get an opponent who can challenge you & are equally as good as you are.. like Lennox had in Holyfield, the rest though good did not have the same skills as him.. Lomachenko made Gary Russell Jr look like an amateur but Russell is a very good boxer.. Klitschko dominated very good boxers like Haye, Ibragimov, Povetkin..

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
              You don't have to be 6'6 to be a heavyweight.

Go back to 15 round fights all those guys would disappear overnight.
              I pray for the day a modern boxer challenges someone to 15rds.

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
                I reckon this is about the middleweight division. Which ones of these fighters do you think is worth a damn:

Daniel Jacobs
                Billy Joe Saunders
                David Lemieux
                Andy Lee
                Peter Quillin
                Chris Eubank Jr
                Ryota Murata
                Curtis Stevens
                Hassan N’Dam
                Ievgen Khytrov
                Sam Soliman
                So. How do you go about demonstrating that these guys are objectively worse than in other divisions? Is it like... an eye test thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                  You could easily do that with every division except 130. Every division has a handful of no named or weak contenders. Take WW for instance, none of those guys are tested really except Garcia and he gets the most hate. Difference is, its a glamour division but whos to say Thurman isnt another Eubank Jr.
                  I think WW is a middle of the road division, but middleweight is definitely weak. I think super middle is weak also. And Keith Thurman is definitely better than Eubank jr, but that's only suggestive of course.

At WW, you have guys like Lamont Peterson who is to me the equivalent of Danny Jacobs and he's barely a contender.

Comment

no.. rigondeaux was the dominant champ, he would be favored vs everybody, but it wasnt weak cause it had solid guys like lsc frampton quigg donaire

not willie monroe and curtis stevens

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                      I pray for the day a modern boxer challenges someone to 15rds.
                      Boxing is the only sport that is going backwards.

These dudes today ain't ****.

What we are watching are the remnants of the sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X