Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do American Fighters Keep Ducking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do American Fighters Keep Ducking?

Or rather, why do they take so long to fight the best? It really is a modern trend, starting with Mayweather's rise in 07 and his successful dodging of Pac from 09-14. Every American, or rather most, American fighters think that is the way to go now.

I want this to be a serious discussion, taking into account the likes of Thurman, Ward, Wilder, Mikey and co. They either have problems, or rather excuses about money or contracts or promoters. Sadly, the modern US tv and fan environment has allowed these problems to get worse.

Take Wilder for example. He won his title in 2014 and since then has not faced a single legitimate challenger. The closest he came was Szpilka, who was soundly outboxing him round after round. Wilder's excuses throughout, especially against Joshua, have ranged from money to time to location. Showtime and certain fan demographics have supported him throughout.

AJ won his first title in 2016 and has already fought a legend in Wlad and a legit contender in Takam. Now he is about to unify...Wilder hasnt come close to that in 4 years.

Khan at 140 unified and defended his belts against the best the division had to offer, all before the age of 25. Thurman is almost 30 and has only had 2 fights at the highest level.

Loma, Usyk, Canelo and plenty of others based outside of the US and/or not American have done similar things. Wh are American fighters always ducking?

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Or rather, why do they take so long to fight the best? It really is a modern trend, starting with Mayweather's rise in 07 and his successful dodging of Pac from 09-14. Every American, or rather most, American fighters think that is the way to go now.

I want this to be a serious discussion, taking into account the likes of Thurman, Ward, Wilder, Mikey and co. They either have problems, or rather excuses about money or contracts or promoters. Sadly, the modern US tv and fan environment has allowed these problems to get worse.

Take Wilder for example. He won his title in 2014 and since then has not faced a single legitimate challenger. The closest he came was Szpilka, who was soundly outboxing him round after round. Wilder's excuses throughout, especially against Joshua, have ranged from money to time to location. Showtime and certain fan demographics have supported him throughout.

AJ won his first title in 2016 and has already fought a legend in Wlad and a legit contender in Takam. Now he is about to unify...Wilder hasnt come close to that in 4 years.

Khan at 140 unified and defended his belts against the best the division had to offer, all before the age of 25. Thurman is almost 30 and has only had 2 fights at the highest level.

Loma, Usyk, Canelo and plenty of others based outside of the US and/or not American have done similar things. Wh are American fighters always ducking?
    Mayweather fought tough competition almost his whole damn career and #48 ducked the testing and fight. #48 ducked so many of the better fighters while moving up in weight too. Fought Morales off a loss instead of Raheem etc... but keep hating on guys like Floyd that fought tougher fights at higher weights.

Comment

Canelo invented Caneloweight(155lbs.) for what reason? Why isn't Loma unifying titles @130lbs. or winning lineal titles while moving up? I guess fighting inactive, blown up, or mediocre b level and below competition is fine doe since he isn't from the U.S. . Your buddy Bob Arum loves to duck fights and let them marinate... but you never say a word about that.

Comment

Because they can? That would be the short answer. They have a greater pool of opponents to choose from. So far, Spence, Thurman, Crawford, Porter, Jack, Mikey Garcia have shown a willingness to fight just about anyone. Thurman took back to back fights with two top WWs before his elbow injury. Spence made a trip across the pond to batter Brook into submission. Mikey dominated Broner and is looking at Linares for mid-2018.

Meanwhile, Saunders has only recently expressed any interest in fighting GGG or Canelo. Eubank Jr. is a complete joke, Beterbiev has stalled his career, Ortiz and Povetkin popped for PEDs. Stevenson is a chickenshyt.

American fighters who I see cherry-picking or playing it safe thus far would be Charlo brothers, Danny Garcia, Wilder, Gervonta Davis. Who am I missing?

Comment

Khan gets hate, but he has fought legit opponents in Maidana, Garcia, Alexander, Peterson

Comment

The better question is why do those fighters come to the US instead of staying in their own countries?

You know the answer to this, so you also know the answer why these guys have to wait to get shots at top US fighters.

Comment

You 48ers need to give it up. EVIDENCE proves #48 was the one ducking

Face it AMERICA is the best

Comment

Charlo isnt ducking tripple g. Charlo is screaming at the top of his lungs for that fight. But golovkins fans says golovkin is now old now and charlo needs to fight other fighters.

Comment

"AJ won his first title in 2016 and has already fought a legend in Wlad and a legit contender in Takam"..............

Yeah thats a stretch, a 41 yr old has-been and a guy no one ever heard of!

More significantly why is the only jackazz from "Planet Oberon" write so many insignificant threads just to goat people into garbage banter?
                  I don't know but my best guess he/she no NOTHING about boxing but knows he/she can gain some attention from degrading fans from a different country.
                  Shame the past inhabitants of "Oberon" who were dumb as hell but respectful globs.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    Because they can? That would be the short answer. They have a greater pool of opponents to choose from. So far, Spence, Thurman, Crawford, Porter, Jack, Mikey Garcia have shown a willingness to fight just about anyone. Thurman took back to back fights with two top WWs before his elbow injury. Spence made a trip across the pond to batter Brook into submission. Mikey dominated Broner and is looking at Linares for mid-2018.

Meanwhile, Saunders has only recently expressed any interest in fighting GGG or Canelo. Eubank Jr. is a complete joke, Beterbiev has stalled his career, Ortiz and Povetkin popped for PEDs. Stevenson is a chickenshyt.

American fighters who I see cherry-picking or playing it safe thus far would be Charlo brothers, Danny Garcia, Wilder, Gervonta Davis. Who am I missing?
                    Danny Garcia has some cherry picks, but he also fought Khan in a unification as a 3-1 underdog and was almost a 4-1 underdog against Mattheyse in addition to being the underdog last year with Thurman. Peterson was no gimme too so I think Garcia's reputation is a little undeserved as he's clearly stepped up multiple times.

Regarding the OP fighters from all over have been accused of ducking perhaps it's easier to interpret the Brits or Americans because they are exposed more and seem to talk more/be interviewed more. I do think the Eastern Euro's seem to have a unique mindset in that they seem to care less about the business aspects and are down to go for the tough matches as soon as possible for the most part but that doesn't make fighters from other regions duckers. Of course a lot of fans are just more interested in who's ducking who rather than who's fighting who and get way too caught up in that side of things.

Comment

Working...
                    X