Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would dempsey do against todays Heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that think that Dempsey was unskilled and primitive, learn the moves that comprised the famed "Dempsey Triples", then go and try to learn how to do them. On a heavy bag, much less against an opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342
      Is it true Vitali might be retiring soon? I heard Stiverne call him out after beating Arreola. He said he wanted a shot at Vitali before he retired. If that's his mandatory and wants to retire with the belt, then maybe he does retire. A younger Vitali from even a few years ago it sounds like could get a late stoppage of Stiverne.
      It seems like it. Vitali will lose soon if he doesnt.

Vitali of 2011 is startlingly better than that of 2012

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Well admittedly I haven't even watched the Charr fight and I don't even know how it ended, I only know that Vitali won.

I was basing what I said on the Vit vs Chisora fight mostly. Did he look a lot worse vs Charr?
        it was pretty boring, vitali seemed in control from the opening bell, but after a couple of rounds charr appeared to be just starting to find his rhythm and seemed to be getting into the fight when all of a sudden the ref stopped it because apparently Charr had a cut ... now I must admit I was watching it on a stream but i barely saw a cut at all
        Last edited by Daddy T; 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Given that Dempsey fought at less than 200lbs wouldn't it be more fair to ask what he would do to today's crusierweights? Seems like were being unfair to pair Demspey with guys like the Klitschko brothers who are five/six inches taller and roughly 50 pounds heavier than him.

Comment

I imagine him coming out swinging like a mad man.

Comment

well if Dempsey was around today he would first of all dominate the cruiser weights and unify there ala holyfield/haye ... he'd then move up to heavy and prob be around 190 to 200 pounds. pretty light but I still think, klitschkos and Haye aside he beats him all (imagine him pounding on price lol) then it get's interesting but in a nutshell i think he beats up and stops the current version of vitali, gets stopped in 9 or 10 by wlad and as for Haye ... well I'm not sure, I think haye's speed and power would cause major problems and I'd (perhaps controversially) have him as favorite but if Dempsey took care of business against him I wouldn't be surprised.

other interesting fights which I think dempsey comes through are Povetkin whom Demspey annihilates, and Pulev who imo would be too slow to take out the manassa mauler

Comment

People assume since older heavyweights were smaller that naturally they wouldn't win today but, if they were around today, could use the same supplements and weight training to bulk up so that there isn't such a huge weight discrepancy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they not have the whole neutral corner rule through most of Dempsey's career too? So he'd have to adjust for that as well.

Comment

If Dempsey liked in the steroid era he would be huge too. If this were th case he would breeze through all the pretenders lining up and only Vitali would be able to take his punch.

Comment

I didn't mean steroids, just supplements. And he'd have to get used to going more often to a neutral corner, like when he fought Tunney.

Comment

Dempsey was one of the most skilled fighters ever to live. At his best he would best all of the fighters mentioned. ATG hwt champion vs fighters of limited ability and more importantly limited will to win.

Comment

Working...
                      X