Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how would langford /dempsey gone

your thoughts?

Dempsey!

Dempsey I believe would swarm Landford & Ko him in 3 rounds, I checked on & researched as much as I could on Langford vs. Mcvey, Jeannette & Wills, based on what I read, I would say if they could put Langford down & I say Dempsey had more power than them all at HW, he would KO or TKO Langford, Harry Wills beat Langford at least 10x, so yes Dempsey could do it, just wish they could have fought, so we wouldnt be discussing it, also wish Tunney had fought all the great Black fighters of his time, I believe him & Dempsey against them, would have been some of the best fights in history, but you can go through any time in history & pick out fighers & say what if, or why didnt it happen.

I believe Langford due to his short size, loses to most HW's, I can't see anyone moving him over his career from LW up to HW and being so short, challenging & beating many HW's, except for some of the shorter ones, I think his bouts with Wills proves, he had trouble with size.

I can see Foreman blowing threw him like he did Frazier, Liston beats him, Tyson, Frazier, & those are the sluggers, the Big Boxers would surely beat him, like Ali, Holmes, Lewis, Bowe, Louis, he would do well for several rounds against Maricano, but Rocky eventually lands & KO's him, Jack Johnson did beat him, so he would do so anytime, I think even Holyfield could beat him or have an excellent chance, I just see him having trouble with almost any great HW, Tua would be tough for him, Max Baer in his prime, Schmeling, the Klitschkos all have a shot at him due to his size.

Comment

More also!

Also I forgot, James Jeffries, prime, I can't see Langford beating him in a slugfest, Jeffries takes him out, what about J.J. Walcott, I give him a good shot at beating Langford, Tommy Morrison would have a chance, if he connects & I believe he would, I think he takes him out, it's just a matter of matchups for Langford at HW, all the guys I mentioned, are greats like Langford, but as they say, I will take a great or good Big man to beat a little one, so at best Langford loses to half or more if not all the guys I mentioned, how could he beat them, he could not even dominate, Wills, Mcvey & Jeannette.

I would take Langford beating the greats more so at some lower divisions, HW would be just too difficult a task for him.

Could Langford have beaten Quarry, Shavers, even Ron Lyle, who knows, I think Quarry beats him by decision or TKO & Shavers too big, too strong Ko's him, Lyle I give him a shot at it.

Heck does Langford even beat Spinks At CW or LHW, same for Bob Foster or Fitzsimmons & the list goes on & on, Langford was great because he was good from LW to HW, but overall, what division if any does he dominate, maybe his greatness never was in a particular division to dominate, maybe it's just being a great fighter is so many divisions, but at HW, no way is he top 10, is he even top 15 or 20, like I said, how many great LHW's does he beat.

Comment

Now that the inevitable slag fest is out of the way would someone like to say something non-denigrating about Langford? Preferably something that doesn't involve masturbating furiously over differences in height?

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          Now that the inevitable slag fest is out of the way would someone like to say something non-denigrating about Langford? Preferably something that doesn't involve masturbating furiously over differences in height?

Poet
          Ha. I just purchased a book about Langford on Kindle. Looking forward to reading it and having more ammo to repudiate these slights against him.

Comment

What slights

Harry Wills beat him 10x, what kind of slight is that, & Wills is not so highly regarded by many in boxing, so no, sorry no slight, & yes his height would make a huge difference with all the bigger HW's ahead of him, yes in his time, his height was not all that much of a disadvantage, but anything beginning in the 30s & 40s & later, came along champs that he just would not be able to handle, why do you think no one his height has ever been HW Champ, LOL, slights, now that's funny, no LW could ever move up, & beat the top 10 or 15 HW's of all time, maybe even couldnt crack a top 20 or 25, now take him down in weight & yes he could do some damage, & You can't over look losing at least 10x to Wills & many of those he took a severe beating.and isnt Langford the one that beat Joe Gans, I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I think if this is the correct fight, that Gans had fought the night before, took a long trip to another state to fight Langford the next day & at the same time, Gans had some type of severe illness coming on, & he still from what I read outfight Langford early on in the bout & definitely would have beaten him if he had not fought the night before & made along trip to meet Langford & been sick, so he couldnt even really beat the top LW in the world, how in heck does he beat the top HW's of all-time, now that's funny.

Comment

Someone please explain to Einstein over there the concept of "career stages" and the fact that the vast majority of those wins by Wills came when Langford was washed up and pretty close to blind.

Poet

Comment

"I think Sam Langford was the greatest fighter we ever had. In 1916 I came here and had a couple of fights and won them. I was managed by a fellow named John the Barber. After winning these two fights he said, "I got a good fight for you." I said, "Who is it?" He says, "Sam Langford." I said, "Not me! Goodbye!"

He was a great fighter and I didn't have the experience to fight a man like that. He was a hell of a puncher, never been licked, so why should I get my brains knocked out for nothing? Even at my best I don't know whether I could lick him or not. He was a good man, good puncher, rough, tough.'"
                --Jack Dempsey

“The hell I feared no man. There was one man I wouldn't fight because I knew he would flatten me. I was afraid of Sam Langford.”
                --Jack Dempsey

Comment

Originally posted by Rspen46 View Post
                  Jack Johnson did beat him, so he would do so anytime
                  Is that the standard we're using now?

Comment

Originally posted by Rspen46 View Post
                    Harry Wills beat him 10x, what kind of slight is that, & Wills is not so highly regarded by many in boxing, so no, sorry no slight, & yes his height would make a huge difference with all the bigger HW's ahead of him, yes in his time, his height was not all that much of a disadvantage, but anything beginning in the 30s & 40s & later, came along champs that he just would not be able to handle, why do you think no one his height has ever been HW Champ, LOL, slights, now that's funny, no LW could ever move up, & beat the top 10 or 15 HW's of all time, maybe even couldnt crack a top 20 or 25, now take him down in weight & yes he could do some damage, & You can't over look losing at least 10x to Wills & many of those he took a severe beating.and isnt Langford the one that beat Joe Gans, I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I think if this is the correct fight, that Gans had fought the night before, took a long trip to another state to fight Langford the next day & at the same time, Gans had some type of severe illness coming on, & he still from what I read outfight Langford early on in the bout & definitely would have beaten him if he had not fought the night before & made along trip to meet Langford & been sick, so he couldnt even really beat the top LW in the world, how in heck does he beat the top HW's of all-time, now that's funny.
                    So because Langford (when he weighed 140) beat Gans, he couldn't beat any top heavyweights years later? By that logic I can't see how Manny Pacquaio beat any top welters when he lost to Erik Morales at 130. Gans' illness was so "severe" that he won 10 straight fights in the next six months. Your biased agenda against Langford seems similar to the one you have (yet deny) against Aaron Pryor.

Comment

Working...
                    X