No announcement yet.

Howard Davis Junior.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Davis Junior.

Did Aaron Pryor ever sign to fight Howard? It would have been a helluva fight for about six or seven rounds, but Aaron would have eventually knocked out Howard in the tenth round.

Originally posted by Dynamite76
    Did Aaron Pryor ever sign to fight Howard? It would have been a helluva fight for about six or seven rounds, but Aaron would have eventually knocked out Howard in the tenth round.
    I cannot remember whether he and Pryor ever were close to fighting but I will say that Howard Davis Jr had a very strange career! I saw Howard Davis back when he was king at the NY Golden Gloves tournaments and he was phenominal! He became a Gold medalist with the great 76 Olympic team, but when he turned pro he never really became what everyone expected of him. I would love to know what happened? Personal issues, management problems..................???

Howard Davis and Aaron Pryor would have been a good fight. It could have been similar to Leonard/Duran I

Comment

Originally posted by fight fan
      I cannot remember whether he and Pryor ever were close to fighting but I will say that Howard Davis Jr had a very strange career! I saw Howard Davis back when he was king at the NY Golden Gloves tournaments and he was phenominal! He became a Gold medalist with the great 76 Olympic team, but when he turned pro he never really became what everyone expected of him. I would love to know what happened? Personal issues, management problems..................???

Howard Davis and Aaron Pryor would have been a good fight. It could have been similar to Leonard/Duran I

I recently read an interview Howard did concerning his career and he stated that after his fifth professional fight, he just didn't love boxing anymore.Strange, he had to go through losing three title fights he could have won and not fighting fighters with titles that he could have beaten after figuring this out. I'm probably in the minority, but it's his fault he never won a title.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76
        I recently read an interview Howard did concerning his career and he stated that after his fifth professional fight, he just didn't love boxing anymore.Strange, he had to go through losing three title fights he could have won and not fighting fighters with titles that he could have beaten after figuring this out. I'm probably in the minority, but it's his fault he never won a title.
        Well that explains his very disappointing career! I find it strange that someone with that talent who had fought since he was a child all the way through to the world class amateur status and a gold medal to top it off, would lose his feelings for the sport when all his hard work was about to $PAY$ off??????? We would have to be in his shoes to understand, but as you say, "it was his own fault" that he never earned world titles!!

Comment

Originally posted by fight fan
          Well that explains his very disappointing career! I find it strange that someone with that talent who had fought since he was a child all the way through to the world class amateur status and a gold medal to top it off, would lose his feelings for the sport when all his hard work was about to $PAY$ off??????? We would have to be in his shoes to understand, but as you say, "it was his own fault" that he never earned world titles!!

I know what you mean! After reading the interview, I felt a bit of disgust for him, though Howard seems like a nice guy.It has always bothered me when these super-talented guys make light of certain issues.Davis should have been great and the list of fighters he could have beaten at 140 and a couple at 135 fall off my tongue pretty easily:Haley, Noel, Frias, Mancini, Bumphus, Hatcher, Costello, and Curry are several. If he had the right trainer and the right people, who knows. Like you say, we would have to be in his shoes to understand, but on the surface, it's one of the saddest stories in boxing.

Comment

Pryor By Tko!

Davis had no power at LW, so at JWW he probably hits even less, so Pryor takes him, but at LW, Davis has a very good shot at winning a decision, but since Pryor who started at LW, ran as fast as he could to JWW before fighting 1 LW bout, why, because LW was absolutely loaded & over the next 1-3 yrs. had even excellent fighters moving in, Pryor would have had his hands full at LW, I thought Davis would win a title at LW, but I guess that interview explains it all.

He was very fast & quick but his lack of power & apparent interest in the game brought him down.

Comment

There u go again, pryor wasn't network backed so he'da fought anyone 135 or 140. davis was a network fighter so if he woulda wanted to he coulda made a pryor fight. but y would he? story goes that pryor was too dangerous for davis to keep as a sparring partner so we know who didn't want who. as for davis, I don't see any sadness in multiple network dates and 3 title shots tho if u were following the game at the time, u know the mcgirt fight was one davis wasn't gonna win, he was comin back outta retirement for that one as an easy defense for mcgirt. but even if u don't coun that, he had two shots with watt n Rosario so if u don't get a belt in two shots, u stilldam lucky to get 2 shots when most wont see even one. u feel me? any old ex fighter old as me remember the watt fight from like glascow or something like that? I thinking fake right circle left n when u get at the right spot drill himwith the rightcross, circle out back left n repeat. wtf so hard about that? mix in some left hooks behind the right cross n press in alternatively workin both hands or tyin up. I know easier said than done but It was like davis was petrified in there. swear to god, true story, I wrote in my lit journal in high school that if I was over 18, i'd done fought watt n had a belt already. embarrassing when u think about it but we on the internet so y not b honest u know?

Comment

Awhile back I read that Davis was a vegetarian. Any possibility that was why he wasn't very strong, he was a light puncher and didn't take a good punch?

Comment

Originally posted by atomicsad View Post
                  Awhile back I read that Davis was a vegetarian. Any possibility that was why he wasn't very strong, he was a light puncher and didn't take a good punch?
                  Wow, it's been over eight years! I read that info also, I kinda felt that was also part of the problem, along with the whole management thing and lack of interest.I will admit, him and Kenty would made a great pro fight.

Comment

I agree about Kenty, I don't know who would have won Kenty had a little more power, but who wanted it the most, would have been the winner, due to lack of Heart & desire on both their parts, Kenty would have given anyone a good fight until his will to win it gave out.

Comment

Working...
                    X