No announcement yet.

Are most boxing gyms like this now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucky86 View Post
    It kind of breaks my heart to see the modern style of boxing gyms. I definitely could not have paid 100 I used to pay 20/bucks a month when I started boxing and I think 40 after I turned 18.
    Plus our gym was open from 4-9pm everyday for open gym. It was a great place to spend a lot of teenage years and keep busy.
    Boxing is becoming a rich kids sport now.
    I get back to BC sometimes and am curious about gyms there. Which gym did you settle on if you don't mind my asking.

Comment

I looked up my old gym hoping to prove you wrong but the exact same thing has happened there.

Used to be $40 a month all inclusive. 8am-8pm. 3 hours reserved for beginner, intermediate, and advanced classes or fitness, kids, and womens classes depending on the day. All included in your membership fee. The only times you couldn't be there was during the specific classes you were excluded from.

The other 9 hours and the entire weekend was open gym with the trainer going around helping everybody out as they trained/worked out. Show up at an obscure enough time and you'd be getting your own private lesson.

Now it's all private classes and "blocks" of X number of classes costing you hundreds of dollars. No open gym time whatsoever. This model started before coronavirus as well. Such a shame.

Comment

It’s tough, Tekken has a base fee, plus expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by EDD1 View Post
          Boxing gyms are kind of the wild west with pricing and structure
          This right here.

The more accommodating the gym I think the more expensive it is and this is the more main stream type of gym you will find. Real gyms you pay your gym dues and loiter around and learn from what people are doing around you, a trainer will drop in on you from time to time to give you pointers, if you stick it out the long haul and devolp the more they will work with you etc. You will see a boxing gym has alot of turn around.

Comment

I showed up, joined and just started doing my/their thing. A little later James and Greg Owens showed up. Greg and I kinda hit it off and then he was my trainer for a bit. Later, a man would just show up one day. He just stood at the entrance taking in the scene with a smile upon his face watching me shadow box in the large mirrors. He's says to me "Do you know how to throw a jab....." He seemed like the Uncle that I never had, we absolutely hit it off and he'd work with me daily. Turns out that I didn't know how to throw a jab and I didn't know a thing about walking a ring with it. After working together for a couple years I got suspended from boxing for 90 days, I took that time and played too much and then took more time. That was the time that he left. He was a great guy. I miss him to this day. Jackie would show up while we were together working. I liked that amateur gym, but I never realized (at the time) just how cool it really was.

Just show up and bust your ass doing what they tell you. You may click with a trainer from that gym or word will just get out. The best thing that you can do is fight your ass off, word will get around and somebody may just appear at the entrance.

You'll see this..... sparring can and does hurt a bit when you eat one. That's why I say fight your ass off.

Train as you'd fight because you will fight as you have trained....... Rockin'
            Last edited by Rockin'; 02-03-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxGod View Post
              This right here.

The more accommodating the gym I think the more expensive it is and this is the more main stream type of gym you will find. Real gyms you pay your gym dues and loiter around and learn from what people are doing around you, a trainer will drop in on you from time to time to give you pointers, if you stick it out the long haul and devolp the more they will work with you etc. You will see a boxing gym has alot of turn around.
              Some guys who own gyms now have zero experience in boixng.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                Some guys who own gyms now have zero experience in boixng.
                I knew of quite a few gym owners who never worked out or lace em up. "Real Gym" owners usually sell out cause thiers no money in a "real" gym the buisness model just isnt there and these small gyms changes hand more than you will think just because it's not really a money making business unless your gym is popular in your area. Running a "real" gym is not as profitable as running a "commercial" gym with 10 classes a day with 20 kids each paying 75$ a month.

Comment

Ask them about their amateurs and their team. If they compete and have guys winning, join the gym.

Comment

Working...
                  X