Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 330 lbs and want to lose weight to get in a boxing gym but...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    Look into the slow carb diet.

Find a track near you and run the straight sections, walk the curves. Do that 4 times around the track to start, then gradually increase the amount of work as you get in better shape.
    We used to do that when I was doing shot put back in school. Yeah I'll give it a go and cutting carbs will be tough for me

Comment

Originally posted by Desire2Learn View Post
      We used to do that when I was doing shot put back in school. Yeah I'll give it a go and cutting carbs will be tough for me
      The slow carb diet doesn't cut carbs.

It lets you eat slow acting ones, like black beans/lentils/pinto beans. Along with protein and good fats.

Keeps you full and you don't feel low on energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Standard run of the mill sh^t will do you well. Pushups, situps, pullups if you can find something that'll double as a pullup bar. If you buy any piece of equipment with your limited money right now I'd make it a kettlebell. Can do so many exercises with that & it'll strengthen your core like nothing else out there.

As far as losing weight I'd recommend looking into intermittent fasting (IM). I used to play professional poker online & got big (270ish iirc) as I was sitting down all day every day & lost 50ish lbs with IM. Its pretty simple. You just eat your normal amount of food, but eat it in a 6hr or less window & don't eat the other 18hrs or more of the day. Sounds crazy, but lbs will just melt off of you. In general I think people massively underrate how much just switching up your diet has helping with weight loss.
        I have a jump rope and medicine ball will that do for now? Yeah I've been thinking of intermmitent fasting and yeah your right about that

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
          1. Fix your food. Slowly start making wiser choices, eg swap the pizza for a plate of grilled chicken.... pick foods that you can enjoy eating for life.
          Home cooked is preferred over takeouts.
          Swap the chocolates for roasted nuts etc etc loads of free info on the internet on what is a healthy snack, lunch etc.

2. Start moving more. After a few weeks, eg of gently walks outside etc this plus your diet may mean you are ready to start weight training.

3. Gym isn’t essential, get some cheap dumbbells, google YouTube videos which give free advice.

4. Keep at it. Do not think changes will happen overnight. It will take you 12+ months.

5. View this as a new lifestyle, not a few months to get in shape. This is the new you, for life.
          That's the tough part, making it a lifestyle. Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated

Comment

330 lbs happens to be to my max weight until I did something about it. How tall are you?

Here, in general, is what you do.

1 - Get your nutrition under control. Don't crash diet, just get a good and sustainable nutritional approach.

2 - Start to consistenly do something active. Walk. Do fitness boxing to get your body moving like that.

3 - As stated in #2, be consistent.

4 - Find a workout partner to help each other be consistent and accountable.

Now that you have that, if you want to box I would find a duffel bag or used heavy bag and hang it up. You SHOULD spend some cash on hand wraps and some gloves. Ask for some videos here or seek out some very basic things and work on those. Don't worry about being perfect, just be "good enough" and move that body.

If you prove to yourself you are going to be consistent and work at it, then do all you can do to save enough money to seek out a good boxing facility to train at.

Above all, get your health under control, that's most important here. Again, I was at 330 lbs at my peak. I got down to 222 lbs then allowed it to slip away and I'm coming off 260 lbs and on a good path.

Comment

I don't have the money to join a boxing gym and I want to take boxing serious. What exercises can I do outside of boxing before I get enough money?
              Walk, that's all you can do right now. Start out with 2 miles walking at a comfortable pace. Should be around 2.5 mph (2 mph if thats too fast).Do that for 4 weeks. Once you get two miles do three miles. Do that for 4 weeks. Do these walks in the morning. Once they get easy bump up your walk speed from 2.5 mph to 3 mph (or 2 mph to 2.5 mph...your body will let you know).

Once that becomes easy, add another 2 miles in the evening. So 3 in the morning, then 2 in the evening. Do that for 4 weeks. Once that gets easy, do 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening.

This will get you down to 250. Once you hit 250, come back and I'll give you more. You want to try and burn as close to an extra 1000 calories a day so get an excercise calorie counter. Bigger guys burn calories faster. -1000 calories/day is -2lbs/week. You want to lose 2-3 lbs/week.

Anybody tells you to run or do an eliptical, don't. You're too big. Don't Box either, you're too big and you'll end up getting injured which will set you back.

Cut your diet down too. Good luck.
              Last edited by McNulty; 09-08-2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Standard run of the mill sh^t will do you well. Pushups, situps, pullups if you can find something that'll double as a pullup bar. If you buy any piece of equipment with your limited money right now I'd make it a kettlebell. Can do so many exercises with that & it'll strengthen your core like nothing else out there.

As far as losing weight I'd recommend looking into intermittent fasting (IM). I used to play professional poker online & got big (270ish iirc) as I was sitting down all day every day & lost 50ish lbs with IM. Its pretty simple. You just eat your normal amount of food, but eat it in a 6hr or less window & don't eat the other 18hrs or more of the day. Sounds crazy, but lbs will just melt off of you. In general I think people massively underrate how much just switching up your diet has helping with weight loss.
                Thats interesting. I have had to be sedentary lately and it sucks...I am going to try this. Another thing I learned to do is absolutely only eat when I am hungry. This sounds a lot easier than it is lol. i realized how much my eating is socially activated and it was kind of a shock.

Comment

I don't have the money to join a boxing gym and I want to take boxing serious. What exercises can I do outside of boxing before I get enough money?
                  Can you walk? With that weight don't hurt your knees with running. Walking is great because it becomes you carrying a "sack" with about at least 75 extra pounds with your present weight. So if you can walk 5 miles a day thats pretty good activity, uphill even better.

To put it in perspective pick up a sack that weights 30 pounds and see how heavy it becomes to walk with. Well...at your weight you have quite a bit more that you can at least temporarily use to your advantage as you lose it.

Comment

Wtf? 330lbs? You should have been doing something about it over 100 lbs ago. Running will destroy your knees at your weight level/fatness. Start with walking a mile then gradually increase your distance. And quit stuffing your face with bull**** foods, eat good foods. 330 lbs, wtf? ……...Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                      Wtf? 330lbs? You should have been doing something about it over 100 lbs ago. Running will destroy your knees at your weight level/fatness. Start with walking a mile then gradually increase your distance. And quit stuffing your face with bull**** foods, eat good foods. 330 lbs, wtf? ……...Rockin'
                      Harsh truth !!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X