Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN reporting that sources informing them August 26th is for Mayweather-McGregor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As of today the 13th they took back that date. Going to be scheduled for another date if this garbage fight happens

Comment

Originally posted by The Time View Post
      https://mobile.twitter.com/danrafael...45042110406657

ESPN reporting that sources are saying August 26th is being set aside for Mayweather-McGregor

It just seems too soon of a date to me for this fight. But we will soon find out.
      Too soon? Floyd is strategic, he first said the pacquiao vs floyd fight would need a few months to doa proper presser tour, but years later he made the fight with only a three minth period and no press tour, floyd does things for a reason, the man is like the ultimate movie bad guy he has spies on you and makes sure its the right time to fight you with the proper advantages

Floyd will not allow mcgregor to study anymore boxing, why let it go longer and give conor more time to study?

I still dont think it happens, i think dana white is just pretending and will say i tried and the fight couldnt be made due to egos

Free publicity

Comment

Originally posted by Fidel456 View Post
        As of today the 13th they took back that date. Going to be scheduled for another date if this garbage fight happens
        Yeah I just saw this too, they withdrew the reservation for that date

Comment

It is quite short notice but maybe UFC want it out of the way ASAP and stipulated it has to be sooner rather than later. What have they got to gain from stretching it out? By August, everyone is gonna know the fights happening and they'll buy it or won't. McGregor will lose, everyone will earn their money, Floyd will go back into retirement even richer and the UFC will get McGregor back to fight on their events.

It's a money grab, no point in stretching it out like it counts for anything.

Edit: just read it might not happen then. It should be done sooner rather than later anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
            I dont think it would hurt the Canelo-GGG buys at all, and might even help them.

After Floyd slaps Conner around for 12 rounds and stinks out the place, GBP can market Canelo-GGG as a REAL fight, and not an exhibition match like they just wasted their money on.......
            but they JUST wasted their money . . . and may not have another $75 to spend 3 weeks later . . .

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
              but they JUST wasted their money . . . and may not have another $75 to spend 3 weeks later . . .
              I couldnt disagree with you more on this. PPV sales are not lost because people dont have the money. Nobody who is down to their last 70 bucks is going to order a PPV anyways. Its ALWAYS disposable income. And these events are in different months, and they dont actually have to pay for it until their next bill comes. MAYBE if they were only a week apart there might be a small number of people who couldnt afford both, but I doubt that amount is even significant enough to be measured.

IMO PPV sales are lost because either fans are unfamiliar with the participant(s), or they do not perceive it as a good matchup. Neither of those is the case with Canelo-GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                I couldnt disagree with you more on this. PPV sales are not lost because people dont have the money. Nobody who is down to their last 70 bucks is going to order a PPV anyways. Its ALWAYS disposable income. And these events are in different months, and they dont actually have to pay for it until their next bill comes. MAYBE if they were only a week apart there might be a small number of people who couldnt afford both, but I doubt that amount is even significant enough to be measured.
                With all due respect, nobody with experience in the PPV industry would take this position. I assume you would admit the above statements are your personal hunches and not based on any actual knowledge of the internal data of the PPV industry?

While it is true that an event in the same billing cycle is even more damaging, you are grossly underestimating the impact of a major event a few weeks before, even if it's in a different month. There's a reason Haymon & UFC are rushing to get this event in front of canelo-ggg . . .

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
                  With all due respect, nobody with experience in the PPV industry would take this position. I assume you would admit the above statements are your personal hunches and not based on any actual knowledge of the internal data of the PPV industry?

While it is true that an event in the same billing cycle is even more damaging, you are grossly underestimating the impact of a major event a few weeks before, even if it's in a different month. There's a reason Haymon & UFC are rushing to get this event in front of canelo-ggg . . .
                  UFC runs pretty much every month, and it doesnt seem to hurt them. The risk of Mayweather date being that close is NOT because of the money, the risk is if Mayweather-Macgregor stinks out the joint, people might not want to spend money on another combat event. We saw similar trends in the wake of May-Pac.

I cant think of a single "high-profile" PPV that EVER got really hurt by another PPV happening a month earlier. If you know of one, please share......

Comment

Originally posted by NYG View Post
                    This fight isnt stealing anybody from Canelo-GGG, come on now
                    If you gotta pay ~$100 for Floyd vs Conor & ~$70 for Canelo vs GGG there are some fans that will elect for the Q score rating fight over the competitive fight. Lets not bs about it. It is what it is.

Everyone who enjoys watching boxing isn't spending $170 over 3 or whatever weeks for PPV fights. They'll be forced to decide & Canelo vs GGG is the 2nd place finisher in PPV buys between the fights thus will be more impacted by the fights being scheduled close together. This is economics sh^t not boxing sh^t.

Or there is gonna be a huge upset in PPV buys if somehow Canelo vs GGG does bigger numbers. One or the other is happening like it or not.

Comment

Real fans will buy the real fight. Smart fans will stream the exhibition match. But there are lots of dumb Floyd fans ( just check this forum) and there are certainly tons of dumb UFC fans.

May-Mcg will outsell Canelo-GGG but the first won't impact the seconds PPV sales.

Comment

Working...
                      X