Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10....Anybody using it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im still on windows xp and its a stripped out version, onlyy 250mb and its installed on my i7 8 cores 24gb ram computer and i zoom, boot is literally 3seconds from turn on to windows start button.
    Last edited by #CaneloKhan; 08-03-2015, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
      I'm halfway thorough my download but I'm nervous it will **** up some software I use for work, so for now I'm on the ****ty last version.
      Any software that runs fine on Win 7 or 8 or 8.1 will run fine on Win 10. I have a client who has software that would not run on Windows Vista so he had stayed with XP so I tested it on Win 7 and it ran like a charm. Next thing, we upgraded all his systems to Windows 7. That was almost three years ago and he has been trouble free ever since. I also tested it on 8 and there were no problems and I anticipate none with Win 10 either.

BUT... I will test it on one non-essential system first to be sure before upgrading the rest of his network.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel1981 View Post
        Leave Windows 10 well alone if you value your privacy.
        Well spoken like someone who hasn't got a clue about what he speaks.

Originally posted by HMICHMIC View Post
        im still on windows xp and its a stripped out version, onlyy 250mb and its installed on my i7 24gb ram computer and i zoom, boot is literally 3seconds from turn on to windows start button.
        Anyone running XP at this point in time should have their PC forcibly removed and destroyed. I knew one guy who was running XP up until last year WITHOUT ANY ANTI VIRUS or other malware protection. He claimed he had never had a virus or any problems. I removed his hard drive and plugged it to my system with a USB adapter for a scan and found 15 GIGABYTES of active virus files that were propagating all over the Internet via torrent protocol. I'm talking 15,000 files with names of the latest movies and software and games just waiting to spread in the wild.

He didn't care so when I reinstalled it in his system, I totally fragged his system networking files in Windows so that he could not connect to ANY network, much less the Internet and left him to his ignorance.

Comment

My girl just got a refurbished laptop for like 350$ for school, it has windows 10 and she likes it.

I actually don't even have a computer, just my phone and an iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
            Any software that runs fine on Win 7 or 8 or 8.1 will run fine on Win 10. I have a client who has software that would not run on Windows Vista so he had stayed with XP so I tested it on Win 7 and it ran like a charm. Next thing, we upgraded all his systems to Windows 7. That was almost three years ago and he has been trouble free ever since. I also tested it on 8 and there were no problems and I anticipate none with Win 10 either.

BUT... I will test it on one non-essential system first to be sure before upgrading the rest of his network.
            Yeah I think after I'm done this current job I am on , I'll make the switch. I've had bad luck with upgrades or corrupted files screwing up my computer and I've lost vital files. I don't even use the web on my laptop outside of work related sites. I do hate windows 8.1, though, so I can't wait to ditch it.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
              Yeah I think after I'm done this current job I am on , I'll make the switch. I've had bad luck with upgrades or corrupted files screwing up my computer and I've lost vital files. I don't even use the web on my laptop outside of work related sites. I do hate windows 8.1, though, so I can't wait to ditch it.
              It's never a bad idea not to mess with your primary system if you use it for work.

My desktop is dual boot, it used to give me the choice to boot into Win 7 or Win 8. I upgraded the Win 7 installation not knowing whether it would go smoothly or if I would lose the dual boot or if I would end up with a totally fragged box.

To my great pleasure, after a few hours of upgrading, I was left with a dual boot Windows 8 and Windows 10 system and both operating systems are working perfectly. I have not booted into Windows 8 since I did the upgrade last week, other than to test it and check my email settings to move over to the Windows 10 installation.

But even if my system ended up being totally fragged, I would simply format it and start from scratch. All my critical data is backed up to multiple drives and to the cloud, not that I have much really. The rest is just programs and crap that I never really use anyways. LOL

If anyone needs any help or anything, feel free to send me a PM. I'm a computer tech by profession and have been for 35 years, long before PCs ever existed and it would be my pleasure to help anyone who needs info or anything.

Comment

It feels a lot crisper from Windows 7. I never took the upgrade to 8.

Best features:

1. You can scroll to read text whether or not that application is selected, the mouse cursor just needs to be over the text area.

2. The snapping feature for applications is great. Drag the window up and it sizes the other half perfectly and snaps into place.

3. Virtual drive mount is built-in removing need for third-party programs.

4. Action Center (the notification center in the bottom right of the task bar)

5. Quality mail program, you can add e-mails other than Microsoft emails and it responds fast.

6. Virtual desktop view or "task view" where you can see all the program screens if you click the first icon of the task bar or press the Windows key + tab key at the same time.

7. Microsoft Edge is a really good lightweight browser, uses less RAM than Google Chrome.

Comment

Downside

There's a lot of privacy applications/settings turned ON. Not sure exactly how invasive it is but still. Turn off things like having your PC detectable through Wi-Fi on other devices on the network, that's like letting over your new neighbor onto your PC's public folders if he's on your Wi-Fi with his device (I believe). Windows Update has your PC share information during its automatic updates and it is defaulted to automatically install updates (and possibly restart your computer).

I don't use a Microsoft account to sign into my computer, just a local account.

Overall, none of these reasons should stop you from upgrading to a far superior OS. Its been in public beta testing for a long time by many users.

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
                    Well spoken like someone who hasn't got a clue about what he speaks.
                    http://i.imgur.com/9DoVoix.jpg

Now. Fuck off.

Comment

I'll probably wait until 6 to 9 months to upgrade from 7 pro.

Comment

Working...
                      X