No announcement yet.

GGG vs Canelo; media row bias.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Real boxer View Post
    Lots of fighters in history have been the house fighter. Lets not act like this is new.
    I'm only discussing this fight. Other house fighters records are not relevant. You are trying to take what I'm saying about this fight and apply it to all of boxing and that doesn't work. It's only about GGG and Canelo.

IMO GGG needed a different strategy knowing what we know about how judges score major Canelo fights. Unless he went out and completely dominated like Raheem/Morales where Raheem's lack of power is the only reason Morales wasn't in a coma, there was no way he was getting a UD win.

Comment

Originally posted by S7V7N View Post
      Great post & I'm honestly not arguing the decision at all. It simply seems to me that with so many close rounds the %'s should have meant the fight was a draw. I was simply interested in comparing why my card was different (& how it compared) to the media/judges. Didn't go in with pre-conceived notions, just laid out the facts & let the #'s determine where things went wrong for Golovkin.

I don't think this is necessarily bias or corruption, but perhaps exposes tendencies cause as you said; it's just odd that all 3 judges approved Canelo early in the 3rd & 5th when the media (& fans) were so split. I tend to feel this was because how Saul fought this time out, so he garnered more respect. Then the 12th as well, once he recovered from the 10th round beating & really showed his heart that final stanza. I know I was impressed. I just wasn't as convinced early in the fight & believe that's really all it took. Exceeding expectations has a big influence on human perception, just listen to the crowd.
      Lotsa good points here. Agree the why's of why the judges leaned more Canelo's way will be automatically seen as because of corruption by a good segment of boxing fans, but there is so much more in play here like the crowd or expectations, as mentioned, & other things that can be speculated on.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
        You can spin it any way you you like, but in a fight that could and probably should have been a draw, 2 rounds going against the grain of the consensus to the same guy was all it took to give that same guy another result of which the concensus feeling is .. he didn't really deserve it.

And could it have gone the other way ... really?

Did GGG really have the same chance as Canelo of winning a fight as close as that?

He should have. But many people - including me - don't believe he did, and that's what leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
        boxing is about fairness and keeping things on an even keel and golovkin did deserve to keep his titles and in my opinion he won a close decision.
        On the other hand kaffas is that golovkin knew the situation he was going into.
        He knew it was vegas and he signed to fight on mexican independence day against a mexican fighter who was also promoted by the lead promoter of this event.
        Golovkin maybe thought he had the hearts of the mexican people but they dont pull the purse strings.
        Yes its corrupt and it leaves a bad taste in our mouth but golovkin held all the cards with this fight.
        Canelo was on a ban, he was stripped from his ranking and Golovkin and his team could have stood there ground and insisted this fight took place away from vegas and at his chosen venue of MSG.
        canelo could not have dictated anything because he was on a ban and unranked.
        So in a way golovkin held out for a bigger percentage but he also risked that by fighting at canelos party and when the dust settled that is what happened.
        a close decision went to the home fighter.
        I wrote to AJ about exactly the same thing with facing wilder in vegas and said to him 50 million is not a lot when you get screwed out of your world titles.
        I saw that 1st hand when lewis faced holyfield in 1999 and holyfield got that gift draw in the states in there 1st fight.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
          You can spin it any way you you like
          You can to.

And could it have gone the other way ... really?
          I believe w/o question it could have. Just like the first fight.

Did GGG really have the same chance as Canelo of winning a fight as close as that?
          There's more variables in play with this question. But I mean the betting odds said Canelo had a 42% chance of winning by the time of the fight iirc.

He should have. But many people - including me - don't believe he did, and that's what leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
          Honestly I can understand why your first & last thought is CORRUPTION cuz its not like boxing doesn't have the history it has (& the present it has, cuz its not like there isn't corruption in boxing today, I say look no further then the ABC groups for boxing corruption all the time & I 100% believe that), but that doesn't mean thats the reality every single time something you disagree with happens.

For me I honestly felt this fight was super f#cking close & could go either way. I had the fight 7-5 GGG, but I knew there were several close rounds that coulda went either way (& seem to have had with others to looking at these media rbr scorecards) that coulda given either guy the W. Thats just the reality so I don't think its reasonable to say corruption or robbery when thats how the fight looked even if the "money guy" got the W "like he always does".

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            I'm only discussing this fight. Other house fighters records are not relevant. You are trying to take what I'm saying about this fight and apply it to all of boxing and that doesn't work. It's only about GGG and Canelo.

IMO GGG needed a different strategy knowing what we know about how judges score major Canelo fights. Unless he went out and completely dominated like Raheem/Morales where Raheem's lack of power is the only reason Morales wasn't in a coma, there was no way he was getting a UD win.
            Oh, so no other fighters in history had the benefit of being the star fighter. So I guess Pernell Whitaker really wasnt good enough to beat Chavez and most definitely not good enough to beat Oscar either.

Ok

Comment

Oh, so no other fighters in history had the benefit of being the star fighter. So I guess Pernell Whitaker really wasnt good enough to beat Chavez and most definitely not good enough to beat Oscar either.

Ok
              I didn't say any of that. Again my comments are only about the mindset I felt GGG and his team had to have coming into the fight.

I am not denying it has happened before, I just don't think those cases are relevant here.

Comment

I didn't say any of that. Again my comments are only about the mindset I felt GGG and his team had to have coming into the fight.

I am not denying it has happened before, I just don't think those cases are relevant here.
                Lol ok. You can think that if it makes you feel better. Its clear you are not really for an even playing field in boxing.

Comment

Lol ok. You can think that if it makes you feel better. Its clear you are not really for an even playing field in boxing.
                  I haven't denied or disagreed with any point you made. I am only discussing the Canelo/GGG fight. you are trying to take my points and expand them to the rest of the sport and bring up things that are not relevant to this fight.

Of course I want an even playing field but that hasn't been the reality in big Canelo fights. Now that we know this, any fighter going into a Canelo fight had best not plan to eke out a decision win because they have to know the judges will not give it to him.

Comment

I haven't denied or disagreed with any point you made. I am only discussing the Canelo/GGG fight. you are trying to take my points and expand them to the rest of the sport and bring up things that are not relevant to this fight.

Of course I want an even playing field but that hasn't been the reality in big Canelo fights. Now that we know this, any fighter going into a Canelo fight had best not plan to eke out a decision win because they have to know the judges will not give it to him.
                    So again, its best for a fighter to simply not fight the guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X