Clear All

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
    Thank them for what?

Defending themselves

They were hitlers ally before hitler betrayed them

Ppl forget stalin and hitler invaded Poland together and split it up

Stalin was invading countries in Europe too

Ask finland
    I agree with you regarding 'no thanks' needed, but Stalin was never Hitler's ally, Stalin was just hoping (foolishly) that Hitler would let him play "chickie" and he could get a piece of Poland for nothing. He paid dearly for that stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
      I often wonder if Putin has a personal grudge against us and not just a political one. - Putin was one of the Soviets who had to flee Berlin when the wall came down in '89; to a man like Putin that might well be a personal humiliation he won't soon forgive.
      Putin has said he considers the breakup of the USSR as one of the biggest geopolitical mistakes in history. And he was there to witness it. Definitely a personal humiliation and an important point in his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
        Luftwaffe didn't win the air war vs britain before Germany even attacked russia
        Trafalgar/Battle for Britain left Napoleon/Hitler unable to cross the Channel and frustrated, both then foolishly turned their attention east to Russia and the rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by ukbox View Post
          The world would be a different place if it wasn't for Russian troops fighting against Hitler. Fact

It's also a fact that the west has treated the Russians with disdain compared to the allied us & uk forces

The same happened with the poles. The country is still in ruins from the war yet money is spent elsewhere in Europe
          the u.s. is finally getting their comeuppance for how they have done russia dirty many times over.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
            Putin has said he considers the breakup of the USSR as one of the biggest geopolitical mistakes in history. And he was there to witness it. Definitely a personal humiliation and an important point in his life.
            And the fact that Putin's brother died in the siege of Leningrad

Putin was one of three boys, and he's the only one who survived.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/28/w...-ceremony.html

Comment

Originally posted by 5burowz View Post
              And the fact that Putin's brother died in the siege of Leningrad

Putin was one of three boys, and he's the only one who survived.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/28/w...-ceremony.html
              Didn't know that...he must have a serious bug up his ass against Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                I agree with you regarding 'no thanks' needed, but Stalin was never Hitler's ally, Stalin was just hoping (foolishly) that Hitler would let him play "chickie" and he could get a piece of Poland for nothing. He paid dearly for that stupidity.
                Play chickie? What?

Stalin knew he would face Germany eventually. He needed to buy time because the Soviet army was in total disarray and he couldn’t face Hitler’s army in the state it was in.

Comment

Anything that's the biggest or most famous of its type becomes buried in stupidity.

You generally won't hear that much hysterical nonsense about say the Yugoslav wars because Americans who even know who fought in the Yugoslav wars are probably reasonably interested in history/geopolitics.

WW2? It was a very complex continuation of WW1, totally economic in nature rather than ideological. Both sides were a mix of democracies, totalitarian regimes, Islamist countries, divided satellite states, etc.

Totally dumbed down for mass consumption into "WE'D ALL BE SPEAKIN GERMAN IF THE BOYS DIDN'T KICK NAZI ASS" (Yeah that's what WW2 was fought over, colonizing North America & teaching it German... rofl).

The Civil War is really bad too. Totally dumbed down for mass consumption into "racists vs antiracists".

It's the same with boxing right? You bring up Floyd/Manny and the stuff you hear makes your head pound. You bring up some obscure eastern elimination tournament and it attracts a totally different crowd.
                  Last edited by ////; 09-01-2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
                    Hitler knew what he was doing when he signed the non-aggression pact with Stalin. Hitler had a huge army, extremely well equipped, and they had all the tanks, trucks and and planes they needed.

The USSR military was in a transitional modernization period, so to speak, and they were going from old to new weaponry. That’s why when Germany attacked the USSR, soldiers had only a weapon per two and sometimes even three soldiers.

The Blietzkrieg was a hell of a plan because the Wehrmacht was so well equipped and was so huge that taking all of Europe was peanuts until he decided to set foot in Russia.

Even then, had Hitler presented himself as a liberator from Stalin to the Soviet people, he might have won. Instead when the germans came in, they started killing the civilian population and that’s what woke up the patriotic motherland morale in the USSR.
                    I majored in English literature but minored in History, so let me tell you, very good post bud! Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
                      Would highly recommend 'the world at war' it's pretty old and has Laurence Oliver Narrating, i got the whole series free with something i think, like 37 disks, long af but well worth it

Band of Brothers is one of my favorite series after the Wire/Sopranos....i was so hyped for 'the pacific' which unfortunately turned out to be total crap.
                      Have you ever seen "Apocalypse: the world at war"? It is a ww2 documentary made by French filmmakers. It is pretty awesome. Another thing that I watched on Netflix a few months back was "Hitler's circle of evil". It broke down the Nazi hierarchy and actually showed Martin Bormann to perhaps be the most ruthless and cunning of them all, Goebbels included.

Comment

Working...
                      X